Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 first drive reviews

haven

Expedition Leader
A few days ago, auto journalists were given the opportunity to drive the new Chevy Colorado ZR2. First drive impressions are appearing today. These are not instrumented tests, only a few specs are included. But they give a good idea what the ZR2 is like.

A couple of numbers did leak out. The gas V6 powers a low 6 second zero to 60 run; the diesel takes mid 9 seconds. The V6 has a higher (numerically) rear axle ratio than the diesel. The V6 has an 8 speed automatic, the diesel a 6 speed auto. The all wheel drive system can be set to 2wd, AWD high range, 4x4 high or 4x4 low. Both front and rear doffs include lockers. The rear locker can be used in all drive settings, including 2wd. Cargo capacity for the ZR2 is a shade over 1100 lb.

In general, the reviews are very positive. For example, Road and Track says "The Colorado ZR2 feels poised in any environment. As is true across the model range, the off-roader Chevy is worlds ahead of the Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro in terms of ride comfort and handling prowess both on and off the pavement, as well as interior space and available equipment."
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a33486/first-drive-2017-chevy-colorado-zr2/

Everyone likes the ZR2's trick suspension, with the Multimatic DSSV shocks given most of the credit. Road and Track says the suspension works as well during spirited driving on pavement as it does rock crawling or high speed running in the dirt.

More reviews:

Autoblog
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/15/2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-first-drive-888654433/

PickupTrucks.com
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/05/2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-review-first-drive.html

Autoweek
http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/first-drive-chevy-zr2-truck-everything

Truth About Cars
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/05/first-drive-2017-chevy-colorado-zr2-cleverer-girl/

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
As a long time Toyota fanboy, specifically Land Cruisers, I am really stoked on this new ZR2. Being a guy from Michigan it makes me a bit proud of the home team. What a sweet package. We have an LT trimmed Duramax that is my wife's daily driver and so far it has exceeded our expectations. Last week we did a 200ish mile drive to go hiking in Pictured Rocks and we averaged 33.5mpg. It has pulled out 23foot camper like a champ while doubling the fuel economy of our Suburban tow rig. It's easy to drive, super comfortable, quiet, and seems really well built. We had the discussion last week that when this one is paid off, we need to get another one because now I want one. Haha. I like the fact that you can get these things in a trim level that lets it carry, tow, and do pickup work close to half ton levels or have a fully setup turnkey offroad rig that apparently handles great on pavement. For an overland rig capability, capacity, and comfort/handling are the holy trinity and throw in diesel economy (which I imagine real world mileage will exceed the EPA ratings like it did with ours) and it's just gravy. This truck could be the proverbial quiver killer for someone like me who has a dedicated offroad/Overland rig (80 series Land Cruiser) and a daily driver. Outside of figuring out some recovery items for it and storage organization, I don't think I would need to do anything else to a ZR2. I can see folks complaining about the tire size, and that can be an issue for the rock crawlers/wheelers perhaps but from a self supported traveling perspective, traveling long distances and getting into the sweet spots of the back country, I have always subscribed to the notion of running the smallest tire size you can get away with for what you are doing as to not compromise the vehicle in other ways.

Anyway, here is another review from TFL I just watched,

[video]https://youtu.be/6l5djlzoxlU[/video]

Dalko43

Explorer
The reviews seem good so far. Like upcruiser, I'm a Toyota fan through-and-through, but this vehicle has me excited. It has the potential to be a great adventure vehicle but still be usable and practical for daily driving due to its powertrain options and size.

I'm sure the aftermarket will find a way to fit 32's or 33's, but I agree with upcruiser that 31's are by no means a deal breaker. I've gotten through some very difficult terrain with the stock 31's on my 4runner with some careful driving. I would like to see if there is a way to add some payload and towing capacity back to it (I assume the offroad-tuned DSSV dampers are the reason for the slight downgrade), but that aside I'm going to keep my eye on the dealer lots and used market as these things become more prevalent.

haven

Expedition Leader
Several articles talk about how GM engineers got 33 inch tires to fit using a 1 inch body lift.

If nothing else, the ZR2 may get Toyota to modernize the Tacoma in the engine department.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The reviews seem good so far. Like upcruiser, I'm a Toyota fan through-and-through, but this vehicle has me excited. It has the potential to be a great adventure vehicle but still be usable and practical for daily driving due to its powertrain options and size.

I'm sure the aftermarket will find a way to fit 32's or 33's, but I agree with upcruiser that 31's are by no means a deal breaker. I've gotten through some very difficult terrain with the stock 31's on my 4runner with some careful driving. I would like to see if there is a way to add some payload and towing capacity back to it (I assume the offroad-tuned DSSV dampers are the reason for the slight downgrade), but that aside I'm going to keep my eye on the dealer lots and used market as these things become more prevalent.

I saw somewhere, I can't remember where at the moment, that the decreased towing capacity was due to cooling and the different front end on the ZR2. It doesn't get quite as much into the radiator and intercooler.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Several articles talk about how GM engineers got 33 inch tires to fit using a 1 inch body lift.

If nothing else, the ZR2 may get Toyota to modernize the Tacoma in the engine department.

Competition helps improve the whole category, I totally agree. Nothing makes complacency more so than no competition.

haven

Expedition Leader
Interesting point by a reviewer for Slashgear (!) Sounds like the spool valve shocks are the real deal.

"A 65 mile drive alongside freeway 141 back-to-back with the less-focused Colorado Z71 off-road package deal revealed a compliant character within the ZR2 that erased the bounce, buck, and lean of its stiffly-sprung sibling by way of corners and over tough pavement."

https://www.slashgear.com/2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-first-drive-right-size-off-roader-offers-high-tech-romp-15485016/

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I still wonder if sales will start to fall off on the mid-size segment. They have priced themselves well into full-size category.

Dalko43

Explorer
So far the only real issues I've seen noted in the reviews are:
- reduced payload and towing compared to the other trims.
- no fuel tank skid plate.
- diesel exhaust tip is vulnerable to to damage.
- sliders are attached to the body instead of the frame.

None of them are huge deals, though that last one really confuses me (I'd always seen sliders attached to the frame). And I'm sure there will be aftermarket solutions to some if not all of those issues.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Very cool truck. All the reviewers I've listened too seem to have a similar response. As for price vs full size argument I don't see one. If you need a beast of burden you get whatever flavor full size needed. If you want a life style rig with enough capacity for light work and trip /gear hauling ability you go midsize. Not to mention narrower than beastly full size is a big deal to those living in crowded places or trail adventures.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Looks like you can build one on the Chevy site now. I built one to $43,000, but I couldn't select the rubber flooring for some reason.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke