Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 first drive reviews

p nut

butter
Toss on a hi-roof topper and the AC is basically done, already have a cot to go in the back. Having to climb a ladder to get in and out of RTT doesn't really appeal to me. That and, have no need for rear seats.

----

yeah not holding breath on the Ranger.

That makes sense. I thought you were going flippac. I'm not much into those or RTT's. Good old ground tent does fine for me. Or a topper would do as well. Until I get the kids through school, retire, and get that Alaskan, that is.

Clutch

<---Pass
That makes sense. I thought you were going flippac. I'm not much into those or RTT's. Good old ground tent does fine for me. Or a topper would do as well. Until I get the kids through school, retire, and get that Alaskan, that is.

That was more of response of why a DC won't work for me, can't toss on a topper and sleep in the back. Plan is to find a Flippac, but a topper will work in a pinch. Have two shells for the current the truck, pull the Wildernest off for the winter and toss on my regular shell.

I can't sleep on the ground with my bad back, need to be raised so I can swing my legs over an edge to help me get up. Need to be on a cot or something like my 'Nest. I hate putting up tents, those big tents to fit a cot are a pain in the ******** to put and take down.

p nut

butter
That was more of response of why a DC won't work for me, can't toss on a topper and sleep in the back. Plan is to find a Flippac, but a topper will work in a pinch. Have two shells for the current the truck, pull the Wildernest off for the winter and toss on my regular shell.

I can't sleep on the ground with my bad back, need to be raised so I can swing my legs over an edge to help me get up. Need to be on a cot or something like my 'Nest. I hate putting up tents, those big tents to fit a cot are a pain in the ******** to put and take down.

Today's tents are so easy to set up. But I remember as a boy scout, having to thread the poles through the sleeves, trying to figure out where it's getting caught, poles coming apart halfway in---do not miss those days.
-
I'm assuming you'll be getting a new 3rd gen Taco? I still have my reservations about the new gen and its Camry engine :)D). Ever thought about getting the best looking version? ('13-15).

This one's out of AZ, too...
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=180249566

Clutch

<---Pass
You need help getting out of bed, but you ride a dirtbike? Talk about dedication.

I can sit on the couch and wait to die, or I can get out there. Have a had bad back since I was 15, hurt it moving RR ties. Have been in pain for so long now, I am used to it.

Dirt biking is one of the few things I do, that I can be in horrible pain and still have a smile on my face at the end of the day.

Today's tents are so easy to set up. But I remember as a boy scout, having to thread the poles through the sleeves, trying to figure out where it's getting caught, poles coming apart halfway in---do not miss those days.

I have a 2 person, that sets up super quick, but can't get a cot in there. My 6 person is a royal pain in the ********. Why I love that Wildernest, sets up in minutes...still feels like tent camping, but the bed is super comfortable, I can stand up in it to change into moto clothes. The way I load it, everything is in its' place before I open it up...flip it open and it is ready to go. Plus doubles as a regular ol' topper. Really good all arounder product for me. Would stick it on the new truck, but have to jerry rig it too much to make it work. Flippacs are better fit. May pony up and get an AT Hab, but if you're going to do that might as well get a shell FWC or ATC, then goes the useable bed space though, don't want to daily a FWC either, nor fuss with it taking it on and off.

She wants one of those popup trailers....dunno, they look like a pain in the ******** to me. Though the Taco would have no problem pulling it, nor would I have to worry about payload.

If I stuck the bikes on there, tongue weight may be an issue...even with load bars. Have to look at them more closely to find out.

2006-Jayco-Baja-camping-trailer-jayco-camping-trailer.jpg

-
I'm assuming you'll be getting a new 3rd gen Taco? I still have my reservations about the new gen and its Camry engine :)D). Ever thought about getting the best looking version? ('13-15).

Yes, I have no problem with the new V6...those Camry's refuse to die. ;)

Used isn't totally out of the question, however...plan on keeping it 15-20 years, 300K miles...I average 24K miles a year. Might as well buy new. I have never in life bought a brand new vehicle. Be awfully nice just to go down to the dealership and order it...and not having to scour the net for something used, and try to hurry to get it before someone else snatches it up.

I know you can get more truck for the same amount of money, maybe if they still offered manual trans in the 1/2 tons, I would get one of those...but they don't. I know the GM transmission in our Trooper was crap when it was new, just the other day I tried to take it up the mountain and the trans over-heated, had to turn around....grrrrr, this way I hate automatics!!! ********** things!...going to cost $3-4000 to fix it, where clutches are only a couple hundred bucks.

Simply don't trust autos to go 300K without some major repair, same goes for those turbos on the ecoboost. F150 with a 5.0 5-Speed would be the perfect truck for me, but they don't offer that...heck, can't get the Tacoma in the configuration I want either...SR V6 5-Speed...have to spend and extra $7-10K to get sorta close what I want...which is lame.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Man, you worry too much! I'm just going to assume my turbo's will blow at 100k. Money set aside. Fix and go--like you do in your truck now!! Turbo's are worth it for me here, living and traveling at high altitude. Pulls like beast.
-
And sorry, today's autos are MUCH better than even your Trooper's. My friend also had an '01 Trooper and had the transmission crap out. I don't think they were well made. I will say my father's 3/4 Sierras' transmissions (yes, plural) never gave him any trouble, going well past 200k miles. He's a commercial general, so put them through their paces. Reliability shouldn't be a deterrent, but I know your reasoning's for wanting a manual.
-
The Taco should be a good truck. They had troubles with the 6-sp earlier on, but hopefully that's been resolved.

Clutch

<---Pass
Man, you worry too much! I'm just going to assume my turbo's will blow at 100k. Money set aside. Fix and go--like you do in your truck now!! Turbo's are worth it for me here, living and traveling at high altitude. Pulls like beast.
-
And sorry, today's autos are MUCH better than even your Trooper's. My friend also had an '01 Trooper and had the transmission crap out. I don't think they were well made. I will say my father's 3/4 Sierras' transmissions (yes, plural) never gave him any trouble, going well past 200k miles. He's a commercial general, so put them through their paces. Reliability shouldn't be a deterrent, but I know your reasoning's for wanting a manual.
-
The Taco should be a good truck. They had troubles with the 6-sp earlier on, but hopefully that's been resolved.

When I was younger I used to blow through money and buy stuff just to buy stuff....

Now I think about it way too much!

---

well...it is a GM tranny, rest of the vehicle is solid! :D Have a clientele based business, I get to talk to a lot of people, many are very unhappy with the new Ford and GM products, lots of recalls on their SUV and CUV's...so much they went back to Toyota and Honda. After owning Toyotas for so long, very hard for me to try something else. Maybe if I could use someone else's money, I would take the chance...hell, I don't even want to part with my money on a product/company that I believe in. Buying a brandy new truck is a huge leap for me.

----

Believe that was just a throwout bearing making noise. Though would prefer a 5-Speed...the Sixer doesn't offer any better mechanical advantage.

p nut

butter
I don't know if I'd buy a big 3 CUV or sedan. But full size trucks and SUV's? I wouldn't hesitate to pick a Big 3 (well, a Tahoe/Burban or Expedition. Not sure on the Dodge choices...). Trucks are their cash cow and you can tell they put their time/effort/R&D into them.
-
Of course, Toyota makes good trucks as well (although I was disappointed with the IIHS crash test rating on the Tundra). They're not infallible, though, and based on *my* anecdotal experiences, had just as many issues as other makes (as far as trucks go).

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't know if I'd buy a big 3 CUV or sedan. But full size trucks and SUV's? I wouldn't hesitate to pick a Big 3 (well, a Tahoe/Burban or Expedition. Not sure on the Dodge choices...). Trucks are their cash cow and you can tell they put their time/effort/R&D into them.
-
Of course, Toyota makes good trucks as well (although I was disappointed with the IIHS crash test rating on the Tundra). They're not infallible, though, and based on *my* anecdotal experiences, had just as many issues as other makes (as far as trucks go).

With anything mechanical, it all will break no matter the brand.

I am sure their [Big 3] trucks will just be fine, do like the F-150's... but I trust Toyota the most, because of my personal experience with them. I'll experiment with different dirt bikes brands, owned just about all major brands and a couple of the minors....trucks not so much, maybe because they are more of a financial liability(?)

Gut still says go with the SR, heart says go with the V6 Sport. Wish I could simply order a SR with a V6 manny and be done with it.

p nut

butter
Yeah, too bad on the lack of configurations. Coincidentally, I was over on the Ford Au site, looking at the Ranger. Of course, myriad of config available. I also noticed some factory options include a wrap around awning (with a Rhino Tagalong tent), drawer system, snorkel and a bull bar (not a brush guard). With the new US Ranger being a global platform, all of these would fit. Wonder how much of that will be available here. Can't wait till they hit the auto shows later this year (guessing).

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, too bad on the lack of configurations. Coincidentally, I was over on the Ford Au site, looking at the Ranger. Of course, myriad of config available. I also noticed some factory options include a wrap around awning (with a Rhino Tagalong tent), drawer system, snorkel and a bull bar (not a brush guard). With the new US Ranger being a global platform, all of these would fit. Wonder how much of that will be available here. Can't wait till they hit the auto shows later this year (guessing).

US manufactures make all their money on homogenized optioned out mortgaged to the hilt trucks, so it makes sense not to have too many configurations here. Though, it is mainly robots that slap these things together, how hard would it be just to punch in an order and have the robot grab a V6 instead of the 4 to bolt in the SR? You would think in this day and age with the mind boggling plethora of choices out there that would be possible.

The Raptor seems to be doing well for Ford...who knows, they might aim the Ranger at the "quasi-overland must bolt everything on out of the parts catalog" crowd.

Bob Laublaw

I'm digging the ZR2 diesel pretty hard, and it will probably be me next truck (downsizing from crew cab Tundra in a year or so). I'm used to terrible mileage (I average around 11-12 for city driving now)...But what I'm really looking forward to is the RANGE. I have to fill up every 250-270 miles if I'm easy on it. The 2.8 will net me WEEKS between fillups when using it every day.

ZR2 ticks all the boxes for me, except interior. Tacoma's interior is much nicer (except the seat position...But the GM's isn't much better).

p nut

butter
I'm digging the ZR2 diesel pretty hard, and it will probably be me next truck (downsizing from crew cab Tundra in a year or so). I'm used to terrible mileage (I average around 11-12 for city driving now)...But what I'm really looking forward to is the RANGE. I have to fill up every 250-270 miles if I'm easy on it. The 2.8 will net me WEEKS between fillups when using it every day.

ZR2 ticks all the boxes for me, except interior. Tacoma's interior is much nicer (except the seat position...But the GM's isn't much better).

I've yet to sit in a ZR2, but can't be too hard to meet or beat the Taco's seats. Around town and <4hr trips are fine. Longer than that, my legs go numb.
-
That range is pretty nice, though. I had the same experience going from a Landcruiser to F150. Better MPG and much bigger tank (36 gal). I usually go a month between fill ups (but I do live close to work).

Bob Laublaw

I've yet to sit in a ZR2, but can't be too hard to meet or beat the Taco's seats. Around town and <4hr trips are fine. Longer than that, my legs go numb.
-
That range is pretty nice, though. I had the same experience going from a Landcruiser to F150. Better MPG and much bigger tank (36 gal). I usually go a month between fill ups (but I do live close to work).

They're marginally better. Taco's seats go forward, back, and recline. GM's goes forward, back, up, down, and recline. So it's almost a wash.

I test drove a V6 ZR2 and it was fantastic. One thing that struck me was how quiet it was inside. It was dead nuts quiet...I have the same tires (Duratracs) on my Jeep, and they're about the noisiest AT tires I've ever owned. Apples and oranges I know (Jeep is a 94 and zero thought was put into NVH lol), but I could NOT hear those tires at all. On the road, it doesn't turn like a truck. It turns flat like a low car (I wasn't pushing it though). That suspension is amazing on-road.

I've driven a diesel version of a regular Colorado, and while slow, would do me fine. I'm...pokey. :D

Just install a bigger tank ;) Transfer Flow makes a 46gal.

I could get a newer Tundra's larger gas tank for cheaper most likely...But I don't have range anxiety. Just a bonus...The ZR2 ticks all my priority boxes, the range part is just icing on the cake. :) The Taco ticks the boxes as well, and I vacillate between the two trucks when I push my brain into making the hypothetical choice today. I've got time to make up my mind and to see how the ZR2 does in the real world for folks (Tacos are quite proven).

Tundra is just enormous and I'm done with full sized trucks for the time being. I bought it because I had two kids in those massive rear facing seats and my truck is my daily/kid hauler/family mover. They're now in boosters, so I no longer need 9 million cubic feet of rear seat.

Just realized that I've never actually posted here, despite reading and referencing things here for years. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior