DIY Arduino & Raspberry Pi Security System

jeegro

Adventurer
I've spent many hours researching security systems out there (Viper, etc) and don't really like what I see. All systems seem to have remote start, which I am not interested in, and the business model is geared towards having licensed installers do the work, so you may get stuck if you can't figure out their system. And the remote controls and monitoring are all lacking.

So I thought I could do better. I've never worked with Arduino or Pi, but I am a programmer by trade so it shouldn't be a big learning curve.

The whole system will be self contained in an Arduino for low power consumption. An optional Raspberry Pi will be bolted on to provide web capabilities (event logging, iphone app, video cameras)

Here's a rough sketch of the components.

IMG_0738.jpg

Anyone have ideas, comments, feedback?

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Hi! Cool idea. But, having worked with Arduino for some prototype production automation, I wouldn't trust Arduino boards for something that required long-term stability and reliability. They occasionally choke and need a reboot, which may not suit your needs as a security hub. Arduino's great, don't get me wrong... And I use name brand boards. But still, it's not as reliable as I'd like if I were building a security system.

We have used Rasberry Pi boxes for web communication interfaces and even those, programmed by people much smarter than I am, had their occasional issues. But, I've never programmed those and don't have much experience beyond field use of the Pi boxes we had.

Good luck, regardless! I'm going to follow along.

jeegro

Adventurer
Hi! Cool idea. But, having worked with Arduino for some prototype production automation, I wouldn't trust Arduino boards for something that required long-term stability and reliability. They occasionally choke and need a reboot, which may not suit your needs as a security hub. Arduino's great, don't get me wrong... And I use name brand boards. But still, it's not as reliable as I'd like if I were building a security system.

We have used Rasberry Pi boxes for web communication interfaces and even those, programmed by people much smarter than I am, had their occasional issues. But, I've never programmed those and don't have much experience beyond field use of the Pi boxes we had.

Good luck, regardless! I'm going to follow along.

Interesting. Are you sure thats a hardware problem and not poor programming?

Its missing the electric Dog Polisher.

There's always a v2.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Audio output for warning, like Kit!

I'm not sure what role the passive sensors play in your security scheme. Is the GPS for tracking the stolen/moved vehicle? Likewise the temp sensors -- too hot/cold?

jeegro

Adventurer
Audio output for warning, like Kit!

I'm not sure what role the passive sensors play in your security scheme. Is the GPS for tracking the stolen/moved vehicle? Likewise the temp sensors -- too hot/cold?

What's Kit?

GPS for tracking position - yeah if stolen.
Other passive sensors - not really sure yet. Temp wouldn't be security related... perhaps a sort of DIY field monitor for altitude/direction/etc, but that may end up being a separate retail unit.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
What's Kit?

facepalm.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Needs more cameras. Front, rear, blind spot, over, under, cab, etc. I think you're going to need to add a video multiplexer.

rkfoote

Some quick thoughts:

Unless you need low-level realtime timing signals, the Pi should have plenty of IO pins to do everything you need (just get a pile of MOSFETS connected to GPIs to trigger 12v systems up to a couple amps (and hook to a relay if you need more power). Figure a RPI3 will have an average draw in the 10 watt range (likely a lot less in the 1.4 watt range for idle). Tied into a car battery you should be able to run for a week without issue. Add a small solar panel and you can run forever.

I've run RPI and arduino for long periods of time (years for RPI). Biggest issue you'll have is moisture (they don't like it :).

I prefer the RPI since it's a full linux stack. You can add USB devices (USB GPS and 3G modems). You can also write scripts to to things like look for open access points, connect, and upload data. This could be useful if you don't want to pay for 3G data, just hunt for open APs and upload whenever in range. You can even add a small touch screen to control if you like.

jeegro

Adventurer
Ohh KITT! Got it. Haha I was thinking of something similar, to have a separate audio and proximity sensor for outside the car: "these are not the droids you are looking for..." but there would be too many false positives.

Good point about the cameras, I was planning on having that be a separate system for driving as I don't think the Pi can handle that many cameras, let alone mulitplex them. And since recording wouldn't be entirely necessary, this product looks great for that: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1367&CategoryID=34
as it can be triggered based on turn signals, reverse, etc. Problem is its only 4 channels and I can't find one that does more.

jeegro

Adventurer
Some quick thoughts:

Unless you need low-level realtime timing signals, the Pi should have plenty of IO pins to do everything you need (just get a pile of MOSFETS connected to GPIs to trigger 12v systems up to a couple amps (and hook to a relay if you need more power). Figure a RPI3 will have an average draw in the 10 watt range (likely a lot less in the 1.4 watt range for idle). Tied into a car battery you should be able to run for a week without issue. Add a small solar panel and you can run forever.

I've run RPI and arduino for long periods of time (years for RPI). Biggest issue you'll have is moisture (they don't like it :).

I prefer the RPI since it's a full linux stack. You can add USB devices (USB GPS and 3G modems). You can also write scripts to to things like look for open access points, connect, and upload data. This could be useful if you don't want to pay for 3G data, just hunt for open APs and upload whenever in range. You can even add a small touch screen to control if you like.

I still plan on using the Pi for network and more advanced purposes, but I think having the Arduino handle the actual sensors and alarm triggers is better because 1) power use 2) fewer points of failure. There isn't a full blown operating system running, just a simple scripted microcontroller 3) easier to build. Then the arduino communicates info like: is alarm triggered, which sensor, etc over a serial connection to the Pi. If the pi isn't running, no problem.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Ohh KITT! Got it. Haha I was thinking of something similar, to have a separate audio and proximity sensor for outside the car: "these are not the droids you are looking for..." but there would be too many false positives.

For at least a decade, even Logitech webcam software has been able to do motion detection by frame comparison. Pro systems have been doing it for two decades. There's sure to be some sort of open source library (Video4Linux?) out there to do that by now.

Good point about the cameras, I was planning on having that be a separate system for driving as I don't think the Pi can handle that many cameras, let alone mulitplex them. And since recording wouldn't be entirely necessary, this product looks great for that: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1367&CategoryID=34
as it can be triggered based on turn signals, reverse, etc. Problem is its only 4 channels and I can't find one that does more.

That's just a switcher though, not a mutiplexer. There are switchers for the Pi:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Video+multiplexer+raspberry+pi

Dunno if there are any actual multiplexers for the Pi...

Here are some real multiplexers:

https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/CCTV-Video-Multiplexers-s/76.htm

"A video multiplexer (also known as a video mux, CCTV multiplexer, or color quad processor) combines video signals from multiple CCTV security cameras, or other analog video devices, and displays the video streams on one monitor. This allows the video from all cameras to be recorded on a recording device that has only one video input, such as a surveillance VCR. For example, if you have four security cameras, each of the four video signals from each camera is synchronized by the CCTV multiplexer and recorded on the same video tape.

I could swear I've seen a 4 camera setup for RVs that has a multiplexer that shows all 4 cams on one monitor. Not sure where though.

jeegro

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't want a multiplexer for driving though, I think the trigger based switching is better, especially when the screen is less than 7". However, multiplexing would be good for security. The real question would be how to use the cameras for both switching (while driving, to see blind spots) and multiplexing (security/recording).

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't want a multiplexer for driving though, I think the trigger based switching is better, especially when the screen is less than 7". However, multiplexing would be good for security. The real question would be how to use the cameras for both switching (while driving, to see blind spots) and multiplexing (security/recording).

Y cables. One into the multiplexer/pi for security/recording, one into the switcher/dash monitor for driving.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Also, I seem to recall the RV mutiplexer had a touch screen, so you could touch to full-screen each camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior