Temporary mounting FWC

SameGuy

Observer
I may be purchasing a used Hawk later this week. I don't think I will have time to install the proper eye bolts and hardware before the trip. I don't think I will have time to remove my plastic bed liner either. It's going to be a 15 hour drive home so I wanted to get the forums opinion and ideas before I do anything stupid. If I have to I will postpone the trip but could miss out on the sale so I'm hoping for some good advice. Don't want to commit to buy till I lay eyes on the thing. Can The camper be temporarily mounted in my truck bed using the stock corner tie downs in the bed with good ratchet straps? Is that totally stupid? Can I get by leaving the bed liner in till I get home and can set everything up right?

If the road trip home is entirely uneventful and smooth, you probably won't have an issue. If you have to slam on the brakes, swerve to avoid something, or heaven forbid, get in an accident, the camper will rip out the truck's tie downs and the results will not be good. It takes less than an hour to correctly mount eye-bolts to the bed, I'd suggest you take the time to protect your investment and your safety.

coguzzi

Adventurer
by all means remove the plastic bedliner. they are like an ice skating rink--accelerate to fast and the camper will slide right out. and it does only take about an hour to do the eye bolts as previous poster said

SameGuy

Observer
Thank you both for the replies. After posting I watched a couple videos from FWC on the issue, much easier than previously thought

ezzpete

Observer
I'd remove the liner. But, I watch a guy on YT called "LIVING FREE" and he's been driving all over the place using rachet straps to hold down a full sized camper, against the advice of "experts". I wouldn't do that permanent, but for your trip you should be OK, just make sure to have the straps pulling in the right directions.

ripperj

Explorer
The ratchet straps are not the problem, they make ones rated for 20,000+#. Just don't use cheap ones that only have 300# rating. I'm not an engineer, but the older FWC I saw just had eye bolts thru the plywood, the bed tie down points are probably as good or better than that. Maybe the newer ones are tied into the Aluminum frame??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't remove the bedliner, just buy a rubber mat to go between the bedliner and camper. I think your pickup bed tiedowns would be okay driving responsibly. An accident of some type is probably going to damage the camper no matter what tiedowns you use.

Pax2525

Adventurer
I've used my stock points in a ford numerous times until I could do a proper instal. Be smart drive carefully and you'll be fine. Bring some extra links of chain in case the spacing is off

Munchmeister

Observer
Done did it

I just drove 1000+ miles home with a, new to me, 2015 FWC Raven in my 2007 F-150, using the stock tie downs and a very heavy duty set of ratcheting straps over the top, hooked into the frame. I had spray in bed liner and had no problems. I drove very conservatively at an average 63 MPH, according to my GPS, out of an abundance of caution, since this is my first rodeo in the world of slide in campers. Next mod: proper tie downs!:smiley_drive:
IMG_0418.JPG

Pax2525

Adventurer
I just drove 1000+ miles home with a, new to me, 2015 FWC Raven in my 2007 F-150, using the stock tie downs and a very heavy duty set of ratcheting straps over the top, hooked into the frame. I had spray in bed liner and had no problems. I drove very conservatively at an average 63 MPH, according to my GPS, out of an abundance of caution, since this is my first rodeo in the world of slide in campers. Next mod: proper tie downs!:smiley_drive:
View attachment 402641

If that was the Raven that was posted on the @UsedFourWheelCampers page, that was an epic score! Congrats on making it home safely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles