2011 4.6l Tundra build thread

VanDominator13

Observer
I am brand spanking new to this forum, but I figured why not dive right in and share my first build and all the mistakes that will come with it?
I'm starting off with a 2011 4.6L 4x4 DC. It currently has 90k on it, 90% of those miles are highway. I decided this year to get a more carbon-friendly commuter car but I still need my truck for work from time to time and there is still a ton of life left in it for me to enjoy. So what to do? My wife and I used to car camp out of it every summer before we had our daughter 2 years ago. But With the little one, I need to have a few more creature comforts for her and the wife.
So the plan as it stands now is to outfit the truck with as much storage and suspension upgrades as I can afford and then move on to purchase an off-road trailer with some of the nicer amenities and a RTT for everyone to stay dry, clean and warm.

I've already purchased a Bilstein 5160/6112 kit with some front shims and an Icon mini pack for the rear and Camburg UCA's. The current wait on the UCA's from Camburg is 3-6 weeks so it looks like I'm going to have to patient until then.
I've already installed a Volant CAI and Throttle body, I can't believe I waited all these years to do that one mod, the difference in power and fuel mileage isn't drastic but it's definitely noticeable.
I just dropped my truck off at the shop to get bunch of work done. here is the list to be done for this visit:
Line-x bed liner and front bumper
Borla exhaust install
Body Armor rear bumper with Rigid D series flush mount flood lights
Smittybuilt front bull bar
Rigid dually lights mounted into the floods on the front bumper
iJDMtoy lightbar mounted in lower portion of front bumper
DECKED bed storage system

I'm going to be using a Trigger wireless accessory controller for all of my 12v stuff in the truck. The unit has 4 circuits, 2-10amp and 2-30amp. I haven't been able to find any info about it on this site but the guy at the off-road shop I've been buying all of my suspension parts from recommended it. It has all the fuses and relay's built in and the best part is that you don't have to wire anything through the firewall. the controller and remote use RF and you can control up to 24 accessories depending on how many controllers and remotes you have.

Pics of the truck at the shop this morning before any new work.
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg

Last edited:

VanDominator13

Observer
Here it is with the suspension installed.
5160's, 6112's
Camburg UCA's
Icon Mini Leaf pack
Toyo 295/75/18 open country m/t's on stock rims with 1.25 spydertrax.
She drove great all the way from Long Beach to Seattle and back with some light off roading, beach driving and a ton of hwy miles.
It's sagging a bit in the rear with the shell and decked drawers, it's really noticeable when it's loaded up. Going to get some CB shackles to help level it out until I get some firestone airbags.

cca76e054158559a3682611d05ecc827.jpg

831c6d54ef00a94626d38d197bc2856b.jpg

VanDominator13

Observer
I finished up this 12v project and it worked great for our trip.
About 3k miles round trip with some normal truck camping, some driving on the beach and plenty of hwy miles. The Dometic 65L ran cold all day, the ctek charged the battery quickly and everything else worked great.
I used a Perfect Switch dual rectifier battery isolator. Fused the positive leads going to both batteries and ran 1/0 wire for the positive line to the rear of the truck.
I grounded the rear battery to the frame rail using 1/0 and then ran a redundant 10ga line from the negative terminal on the start battery to the negative buss in the rear.

8de4340a3083cb5da71fd92a041c44fb.jpg

The guys at my mechanic shop as well as Shaun at Perfect Switch both said that this is more than enough for my needs.

236419c8bfbaeee0b9f7344bdb7546c4.jpg

It's a little messy under the hood as there isn't a whole lot of space in there but with a couple of battery terminal buss bars I should be able to clean it up a bit.

I ran all the cable through conduit to the rear, and I used weld-mount hardware to avoid drilling wherever necessary.

5e84901a94ff3eb228c6d9d16f79b5a4.jpg
2b92f5d4bd65ea265afb7a00b462f9b1.jpg

Then I mounted a couple of Blue Sea buss bars in the Decked ammo can.

2b67dfa5bc96cde66ecdcc31e204c2ff.jpg

Mounted the ctek charger to the top of the ammo can lid, I don't like that it's taking up floor space. I'll probably find another way to mount it against the truck bed or if I end up putting a camper in the bed like I plan to I'll move to the inside of the camper.

48e89664da46525dfcbde24026fac043.jpg

After that I ran some ring terminals from the charger to the ArkPak and then out of the ArkPak's Anderson plug to a Blue Seas Fuse Block and then to my 12v outlets, USB outlets, voltmeter and LED lighting switch.

76b82cabbf5bfb9d42a3efe20b09cf09.jpg

4e2291ff7c5652d223751cb808faf749.jpg
146d707d233d1fc447226120f4641cec.jpg

The whole setup will be refined a bit. I kind of threw it together in the 3 days off I had before we took our trip. But all in all it worked great. I also made up another anderson plug so that I can come directly off the buss bars and into the fuse block if for some reason I want to bypass the ArkPak or if it's not in the back of the truck. I have a switch in the cab of my truck so I can close the circuit on the isolator and combine the batteries if I want or just have the power on in the rear of the ArkPak isn't present.

VanDominator13

Observer
Did you ever drive the 5.7? If so, how does it compare?

Naw, I've never driven a 5.7
I bought the 4.6 3 years ago for a song and it's been great to me. Reliable as can be and plenty of power for my needs. I hope it will be able to handle a FWC hawk and that I can continue to enjoy it for years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles