SOLD: 4X4 Mercedes Benz 1017A Overlander truck

snowfall2009

Observer
4X4 1983 Mercedes Benz 1017A Overlander truck For Sale

We are putting this rig for sale sooner than planned, due to a change in our plans.
This is a real world travelling machine, ideal for a couple or a family of up to 6 people. Based on the wide spread and extremely reliable MB 1017 chassis, parts can be still found around the world. The truck is with no complicated technology, so it can be easily serviced anywhere.

Truck:
Mercedes Benz 1017, manufactured in 1983. 383,000 Km on the clock (about 240K Miles)
Currently registered in the UK as a motor caravan, though with left hand drive (originally from Germany).
OM352 6 cylinder 170 HP turbo engine is in good state running smoothly and practically indestructible.
MOT inspection in the UK in February 2017, passed with no comments or remarks.
Permanent 4x4, 5 forward gears, and a crawler gear.
750 X 247 X 324cm (LxWxH), 24.6 x 8.1 x 10.6ft.
580 liter (150 Gal) diesel tank, around 11MPG so huge travel range.
Rear and central diff. locks.
Cruising speed 50-55MPH, this is perhaps not the fastest truck, but it will get you anywhere.
3.9m (153 Inch) wheelbase makes driving and cornering easy.
The truck has the 1.5 cabin, so very roomy, unlike the usual cab, where you can hardly recline the seats. In fact, we have installed two safety belts behind the driver and passenger's seats, so when travelling we can seat 5 people in the cabin (the 2 in the back are children in booster seats), in addition to 3 seatbelts in the dinette.
Newly repainted,
Major overhaul of the braking system (2016)
New Mb compressor,
New windscreen and rubber was replaced,
Full service including replacing gearbox and transfer box oils, all filters, new injectors before the trip (2016), engine oil + oil and diesel filters changed again 3000 miles ago and will be changed before the sale.
Tyres have around 80% tread depth, the spare is nearly brand new.

Camper:
Very spacious – we travel with 4 kids and we have room for everybody and everything we need for a long journey.
Bedding and seating:
1 queen bed easily sleeps 2 adults
1 child bunk bed above the queen bed.
Dinette can seat easily 5, even 6, transforms into an additional queen bed
Additional single bed in the cabin behind the seats.
Wide passage between cab and camper for easy access – a real asset when traveling with kids.
3 lap seatbelts in the dinette.

Tons of storage inside the camper as well as outside, very big garage under the bed, can be accessed from the outside and from the inside
Huge roof rack over the cab. Additional space on the roof of the camper can be used for gear, or for a roof tent – the roof can be easily accessed from both inside and outside.
Spacious shower with a big cupboard.
2 marine hatches provide easy access to the roof from the inside of the camper.

Power:
Completely autonomous energy-wise, with 2 separate circuits in the camper (12V and 24V) charged by 2X180W + 2X120W solar panels and run everything we need – fridge, cell phones and PC chargers, DVD and even a toaster and a coffee machine. The 24V circuit is also charged by the truck's alternator while driving.
Plenty of 12V, 240V and USB sockets
1000W inverter (24V to 240V).
Hook-up is possible, and there is also a 2KW generator and a battery charger, though we never use them, as the house batteries are always charged by the solar panels.

Water and sanitary:
220 L (58 Gal) fresh water tank located under the bed inside the camper, with filtering system.
90 L gray water holding tank.
Shurflo water pump.
Hot and cold water in the shower and in the kitchen sink.
Outside shower with hot and cold water
Threford cassette toilet

Kitchen:
110L (3.9cu.ft) fridge with freezer.
Aluminum sink.
3 burner gas stove, 2 LPG tanks (one US, one EU, easy to switch between them, depending on where you travel)

Brand new (2017) Eberspacher water and air heater, works on diesel from the main tank and provides hot water within minutes for kitchen and shower. The heater can also blow hot air into the camper, heating it within minutes. We stayed in low 20s and felt warm and cosy inside the camper.

The truck will come with many tools and spare parts.

Asking $72,450.

We will be travelling up the west coast (OR, WA) during May, and will arrive to Calgary in June.

Cannot sell the truck in the US (got it here on a temporary import), so sale will have to be in Canada, and the buyer will have to take care of import into the US.

See pictures in the following link (for some reason I was not able to upload them here):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbq1w06qw0ozy7v/MB 1017 Pictures.pdf?dl=0

PM for more details and pictures.

Thanks for looking

kerry

Expedition Leader
Being a US resident who once owned a UK motorhome I'm curious as to how the registration and MOT issues work when abroad. When the registration expires abroad I assume it's impossible to get an MOT inspection and renew the registration. Is there a process for handling that?

snowfall2009

Observer
Being a US resident who once owned a UK motorhome I'm curious as to how the registration and MOT issues work when abroad. When the registration expires abroad I assume it's impossible to get an MOT inspection and renew the registration. Is there a process for handling that?

Indeed you cannot renew MOT while abroad, but that is the case for every world traveller, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. In case of a UK registered vehicle, you SORN the vehicle, and when you go back to the UK you pre-book a MOT test, which allows you to drive from the port of entry to the MOT station. (that is if you havn't sold the vehicle abroad)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Your pics aren't viewable unless one is signed in to your Dropbox account, FYI.

It worked for me on my phone. There's a download button upper right which allows you to download the .pdf to the local machine or to your droobox account.

I downloaded to the local machine. I wasn't signed in to my dropbox account because I don't have a dropbox account.

snowfall2009

Observer
It worked for me on my phone. There's a download button upper right which allows you to download the .pdf to the local machine or to your droobox account.

I downloaded to the local machine. I wasn't signed in to my dropbox account because I don't have a dropbox account.

Thanks dwh.

Sixinarow let me know if you want me to email you the pics

Sixinarow

Adventurer

Thanks dwh.

Sixinarow let me know if you want me to email you the pics

First time I tried on my tablet. Now I'm on my phone and it worked by direct download.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Racingdad

Adventurer
Wish I could see it before you head north. I suspect your already past California and Nevada.

Looks like a great rig!

GLWS

Tad

iac27

That would be amazing, I'd really like that. Shoot me an email when you have an idea of which week.

Cheers,
Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior