No 8 oz butane fuel canisters in California?

I was recommended by a few sources that these butane/propane GAS ONE stoves are great. This one can use either the 8 oz. butane and 16 oz. Propane.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HQRD8EO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 16 oz propane cans are easy to come by... but the 8 oz. butane cans are very hard to find... as a matter of facet searching many, many stores online and only a few had them in stock and NONE in my area.... Walmart, Sporting goods stores, Target etc...

I tried ordering through Amazon, Walmart etc, but they all say they cannot deliver to my area. I am in Northern California.... does California have a ban on 8 oz Butane canisters?

Thank you.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Go to any Asian grocery or restaurant supply store, there should be several in California. They usually have for just over $1 per can, $1.50 tops.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
x2 on the asian grocery stores. Sold in packs of 4 for $5. Stove is normally around $20, but I've never seen the propane adapter for them.

They're normally used as a table top warmer for hot pot style meals. I've used them camping, but any type of breeze will make cooking difficult, you need to have a windscreen. Plus the butane canisters don't seem to last very long.

x2 on the asian grocery stores. Sold in packs of 4 for $5. Stove is normally around $20, but I've never seen the propane adapter for them.

They're normally used as a table top warmer for hot pot style meals. I've used them camping, but any type of breeze will make cooking difficult, you need to have a windscreen. Plus the butane canisters don't seem to last very long.

Thanks for the info... just to be sure I'm talking about the pressurized type, not the gel in a can with the pop off lid:
https://www.amazon.com/Gasone-Butan...F8&qid=1494972038&sr=8-1&keywords=8+oz+butane

Attachments

• 8ozButane.jpg
    8ozButane.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 24

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Yup, those are the ones. I probably have a couple of packs in my pantry. As I mentioned, they aren't that fast with the butane canister, but maybe propane would work better. They're great if you're in an RV or someplace protected, but outdoors I still use my 2 burner propane stove.

Jon Nelson

Observer
They are currently for sale all over southern CA. Three weeks ago the business Costco had pallet fulls of 24 packs. But there is/was/about to be legislation AB-1120 & AB-1244 on selling more than a small amount of butane per month and selling butane without an odorant. So any butane including JetBoil style cans might get scarce in CA. Here are some quotes from May 30,2017 on Leafyly.com that describe the reason for the legislation that's about to affect anyone using a small butane camping heat source:

"While butane extraction is one of the cheapest, most effective ways to produce cannabis concentrates, it can also be one of the most dangerous. The process involves running butane through a tube filled with raw cannabis, then heating the resulting mixture to evaporate the butane. The result is a high-potency, waxy substance that can be vaporized, used in edibles, or smoked."

"Because butane is clear, odorless, and heavier than air, it can accumulate indoors without detection. Highly flammable, it can then be ignited by a tiny spark, such from a refrigerator motor switching on."

"Just one or two 300-milliliter cans of butane can blow up an entire department, according to Sacramento Fire Department Captain Mike Feyh, who's working with state Assemblyman Jim Cooper (D-Elk Grove) to help pass Assembly Bill 1120, which would establish butane restrictions throughout California."

Bummer! I have a couple of the 10,000 btu "Sunday brunch" omelet chef single burner stoves as well as a Snow Peak torch. Guess I need to buy a new propane stove now. Jet Boils might become extinct in CA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior