3-axis coupler

Atchcraft

Hello all,
I'm building a 3-axis coupler and I have a question for those of you that have used them. As you can see in hype pic, I have a pin that rotates in a sleeve, allowing the coupler to roll. It started as an interference fit and I knew it would tighten up a bit. But, after full welding, it got a bit tighter than I expected. It won't even take grease. I know that it will loosen up, but it's driving me nuts. Anyone use a coupler that started out tight as hell then "broke in"?
IMG_1571_zpsiil5tukc.jpg

IMG_1582_zpsrepjfeyn.jpg

chunko

Observer
Atch, is the coupler tight when when turning by hand or is it actually binding when the trailer is articulating? Since your parts are probably hardened carbon steel, I'm sure you won't get any galling but you may want to listen for noise as the coupler rotates.

Atchcraft

Atch, is the coupler tight when when turning by hand or is it actually binding when the trailer is articulating? Since your parts are probably hardened carbon steel, I'm sure you won't get any galling but you may want to listen for noise as the coupler rotates.

How about gently removing some material - emery cloth, polished, sandpaper, etc? Just to free it up slightly.

Either build a new one or drive as-is. Keep some oil on it, wont be long until it loosens up...

Thank you guys, I missed all of these replies. I had some extra material, so I made another rotating assy. I changed up the welding sequence, so a could fit the pin after welding. It turned out the way I'd hoped. Thanks again.
image5_zpse7osbdwh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94