Land anchor

homeguy

Observer
I would buy a PulPal. I've seen them in action from snow, ice and mud. They work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I think it's a great idea - I can see lots of places worldwide where it would be excellent; the Russian Steppes, big parts of Australia, Europe, South America, Asia. It's not about looking for a problem, then walking away, it's about finding a solution a trying it out. Thirty five years of trying to find a decent ground anchor and the best I can find is the PRT. This opens up those opportunities. The ground around where I live is mostly peat moorland - dug 300 feet through gloop to find solid ground. Multi point anchors are the only thing that works - with tis I can see a way of sinking it then releasing two corners and just pulling it out. Clever.

Just hurry up and get a European and UK distributor

The Rover Shop

Explorer
When was the last time you excavated a yard of virgin earth by hand? I'm not talking about your yard that is fill or topsoil.

There's a reason the videos they posted are in sand...

When you're stuck and needing to use this, you're not going anywhere unless you do....

I have one of these and they are brilliant...I haven't had to use it in anger yet (did use it in a camel trophy recovery class around a big rock and it worked perfect, no slippage or give). but I've done my share of pull-pal...land anchor, burying the spare...linked triple posts, recoveries before...the deadman not only is a land anchor, it's also a tree saver...try using your tree saver as a land anchor...it's also a wood collection sling, a tow strap, an emergency stretcher, a seat, a wading blanket...try using your pull pal or tree strap for those uses also....;)...and it's so much easier to retrieve after the recovery than your spare etc....

snare

Adventurer
Mine just arrived, along with their Evidence Bag to carry it.
Both are sewn by Blue Ridge Overland Gear now.

The Deadman Earth Anchor looks extremely well made, and seems like it will be extraordinarily versatile.
After having it in my hands at the Overland Expo West last May, I knew it would be something I would invest in. Very glad to have it,

rayra

Expedition Leader
Interesting for the desert I guess. Useless anywhere with rocky, rooty, or clay soil. It could take all day to dig a hole big enough, just to earn ~2000lbs of anchoring strength.

That's a convenience argument, not a mechanical fault of the device. And if you are stuck enough to need it, you aren't going anywhere anyway. So calling is 'useless' is kind of a stupid complaint. You're digging one way or another, if outside help is not forthcoming.

snare

Adventurer
Also, the Deadman can be used around boulders as well as be used as a tree strap. It is light and folds compactly.

To me it made sense as a versatile, lightweight tool with minimal bulk.

CampStewart

Observer
If the manufacturer states that it is effective in snow than I think they should put out a video supporting that claim. Without that video i would have no confidence in it being the least bit effective in snow. Don't you guys have other recovery gear like a tree saver that you would use around a boulder? I could see this as being very useful in something that is heavy and easily shoveled like sand but not being very useful beyond that.

GB_Willys_2014

You have a good point, this device certainly doesn't take the digging out of the equation when you are in the middle of nowhere with no other anchor point options. We have done all of our testing in soft sand since, to us, it is the most difficult thing anchor to. Also we live in San Diego, we don't have the kind of terrain you are talking about. Any denser ground than soft sand will not require as deep of a hole though. We have dug it into the clay of a crust on top, slick mud underneath lake bed. We dug about 14" inches and buried the Deadman. We were able to achieve a load of 2700lbs before our grip gave out, it didn't budge.

The second video on the kickstarter page is going up a soft sandy hill with rocky hard pack at the top. We dug down about 18" for that video, once it got set it didn't move during the entire pull.

Digging a hole in any terrain would not be our first option. If we could grab a large rock or a tree, that would be what we would go for first. But if we don't have those options, at least we could still bury it.

You sold me.

I have been debating a PulPal for 2 years now (no exaggeration), but the cost and bulk/weight always put me off.

I like this solution.

I will take the potential time and labor penalty of digging over the cons of the PulPal as this is essentially an insurance option. That is, I hope never to have to use it.

I ordered on your website, and am now on your waiting list. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles