Replace canvas or sell it like it is Hallmark Gunella

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I have an otherwise very clean 2010 Hallmark Guanella Pop up camper. It has been an awesome camper.. By far the most comfortable and posh pop up camper I have owned. I have been in below zero temps in Montana and the camper stayed toasty warm with minimal work from the heater. Boiling temps in AZ and it stayed livable. Hallmark makes some awesome canvas and insulation. I didn't have any problems with condensation.
Its in great shape except the PO claims to have cleaned the canvas with some abrasive materials. The windows are basically all gone ( dry cracked) and the canvass it self is ok. The windows are taped up from the inside, and other than looking ghetto fab. it all works just fine.

I recently picked up an older fourwheel camper so I sadly am deciding to probably sell the Hallmark. I have a quote from Hallmark 2500 or so for the canvas. Another 500-6 to install ( they update the camper with an additional new seal). Challenge is the lead time 3-4 ish weeks and the ability to drop the camper and pick it up a couple of days later.

Its a long drive from AZ to CO just to get the canvas. I may find a local shop to do the work, but most have no idea what I am even talking about when I say Pop up cab over camper. They start talking about tow behinds.

Ok- To the point :) The camper is worth X if I sell it like it is.. It would probably sell faster and easier if the canvas is replaced. But I a not so sure it will be worth the trouble- $$ plus the drive to CO. SO you camper owners would you buy a something that was great less canvas? I'm open for some feedback. Or have reasons to keep it longer LOL honey we need a winter camper and a summer camper :)

plh

Explorer
I see lots of them on CL for under $2k. Granted probably not Hallmark Gunellas, but your average buyer won't care. Unfortunately without good or passable canvas & windows you buyer pool really decreases.

Appears that you can price it out on NADA to give you some idea if its worth putting $3k+ in repairs into.

http://www.nadaguides.com/rvs/2010/hallmark

Last edited:

NivekD

Roaming ROF
To me, buying a camper that needs new canvas would significantly effect the selling price. I would want the price dropped by the cost of the canvas and any installation costs. In your case, I think you could get top dollar out of it by replacing the canvas yourself. Just my .02.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Is it possible to just replace the windows and sell it as is? The OP implied that the canvas was good, just the windows are shot. Why replace it only to sell it if it is still serviceable?

dlh62c

Explorer
Take it some where that makes boat covers, you might be surprised. The old canvas will be used as a pattern.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Been looking up some canvas "boat shop" Tried looking at replacing the windows only but they said no way.. Idaho Canvas will replace it for half the cost but 12-18 week lead time after you remove canvas and send it to them.

kerry

Expedition Leader
If the windows are vinyl, there is a way to replace them I think. Vinyl window material is readily available on Ebay and other places. It is easily glued with HH-66 vinyl cement. You could cut out the existing windows leaving about a 1-2" perimeter of the old window and glue the new vinyl window into place. You could use the cut out piece as a pattern and add the 1-2" perimeter on to the pattern. This would avoid having to sew a new zipper on to the new vinyl which would be very hard with the canvas in place. The vinyl would cost about $30 and a large can of HH-66 vinyl cement is about the same price.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I thought more. I think I would glue the new vinyl window on top the existing window around the perimeter and then cut away the old window once the new vinyl is glued in place. I think it would make the gluing easier. I think I would have someone hold a piece of plywood or something up against the canvas from the outside to get a flat hard surface while gluing the new vinyl in place.
I built a new enclosure for my Albin 25 cruiser last year and used vinyl in this manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles