Kargo Master W/Congo Cage, Front Runner Slimline, or Gobi...Discuss

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I'm looking for a roof rack for my JKU. I really like the Front Runner Slimline and the Gobi Stealth. They both seem like high quality items, and I like how they look. The Front Runner is my favourite, as far as aesthetics is concerned, but I've read so many good reviews of the Gobi Stealth, that it really should be at the top of my list. The problem with these two are the price. The US-CAN exchange rate is brutal (for Canadians) right now, and I'm looking at $2200-2500. That's if I get it shipped to a shipping outlet in Montana and pick it up myself. Also, it looks like the Gobi isn't in stock anywhere. I'd like to order in the next couple days.

The Kargo Master, however, is available to me for about $1200 CAN, including shipping. I have actually read good things about this rack, except for the poder coating, but I really don't like that roll-cage look. I still haven't written it of though, because that is a very big savings.

Do you have experience with any of these racks? Do you have another recommendation? Help a guy out.

PS The Gobi includes a ladder on most sites, which is a bonus.

akpostal

Adventurer
Are you looking for a rack that can run with a soft top and hard top? What are you going to put on the rack?

Last edited:

SulVento

Wanderer
Can't comment on the Front Runner or Kargo Master, but I've been running my Gobi Stealth for 6 years now. Wouldn't change a thing. Bullet proof. Finish is still fine despite my best attempts to beat it to death. :sombrero:

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Are you looking for a rack that can run with a sot top and hard top? What are you going to put on the rack?

It's a hard top, that I'm not too interested in taking off. I guess an AEV rack would work too, but I'd like full length.

Canoe in the summer, with drybags strapped underneath (which is why a couple bars wouldn't really cut it?), and skis/snowboards in the winter. Also to satisfy my own vanity, if I'm honest. I think they look cool.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Can't comment on the Front Runner or Kargo Master, but I've been running my Gobi Stealth for 6 years now. Wouldn't change a thing. Bullet proof. Finish is still fine despite my best attempts to beat it to death. :sombrero:

Yeah man, I don't think I've read anything bad about those racks. There's actually a dealer near here that carries them, but it's an 8-week shipping time. We don't get much summer here, and I need to go paddling asap.

ivers

Observer
I got the babe kargo master safari for 700$ in Montreal, the best deal I could ever get, the rack will feel kind of cheap compared to the other brand name, but it get the job done and for the price. its the best thing!

tarditi

Explorer
Soft top compatibility and ease of removal tend to be the biggest differentiators aside from price and brand name.

Most are good, all will rust eventually, unless you take care of them.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I think the question on what you are planning to do with it and if you want the hard top all the time is a good one.

I got the Congo Cage deal. It's dirt cheap relatively (I actually got the rack and a nice Tepui RTT for way less than a what a Gobi would cost), but not the quality of the Gobi. I had a Garvin on my last Jeep which is somewhat similar to the Gobi in design and that was nuclear bomb proof.

Bottom line, if budget isn't an issue, and you don't care about the wait, the Gobi is probably the best choice. For me, I use the soft top quite a bit and unequivocally don't want the rack to live on the Jeep for noise and economy hits. The Congo Cage deal can be removed in 10 minutes and in another 20 I can get the tent mounted/dismounted.

A couple pics for reference:

_DSC0282-X2.jpg

IMG_0664-XL.jpg

IMG_0666-X2.jpg

Blink

The wait for the Gobi is worth everyday! There are cheaper options for sure, but since owning my jeep I've learned to try and only buy once. So just start with the best.
image1.JPG

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm on the same page with Blink when it comes to buying only once. I'm not rich enough to buy a cheap rack and then get a more expensive rack next year.

This morning I got an email from Front Runner saying they just got a shipment of Slimline racks, so they have plenty in stock. I also got word from the local place that they may be able to get a Gobi rack in sooner. Seems like these two are in a dead heat.

I got the Congo Cage deal. It's dirt cheap relatively (I actually got the rack and a nice Tepui RTT for way less than a what a Gobi would cost), but not the quality of the Gobi. I had a Garvin on my last Jeep which is somewhat similar to the Gobi in design and that was nuclear bomb proof.

You liked the Garvin, eh? There's a Canadian dealer who carries them at a pretty good price.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
$2500.00 for a rack? For that price and turn around time I can almost guarantee that you could buy all the tools needed to fabricate and still be money ahead, I'm not talking cheap HF tools either. Surely you must know someone who can weld if you can't. Hell I could probably fly there, buy tools, get fed copious amounts of good Canuck beer and probably still be ahead, but I would want the savings.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

LilPoppa

Adventurer
$2500.00 for a rack? For that price and turn around time I can almost guarantee that you could buy all the tools needed to fabricate and still be money ahead, I'm not talking cheap HF tools either. Surely you must know someone who can weld if you can't. Hell I could probably fly there, buy tools, get fed copious amounts of good Canuck beer and probably still be ahead, but I would want the savings.

Oh yeah? You got any vacation time coming up?

What gets me is the shipping costs and the exchange rate. A lot of these companies ship for free in the US, but have to charge almost $300 US shipping to Canada (which turns to $400 CAN). There's a place in Eureka, and most border towns, where I can get it shipped and just pop across the border to pick it up. They would charge only $20 for a parcel the size of a roof rack.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
That's just crazy. I wish I had vacation time. Been to Canada several times and always enjoyed my stay there.

SulVento

Wanderer
Definitely agree on buy it right, one time. Been there, done that.....buying what I'd settle for and then kicking myself later as I upgrade to what I wanted to do the first time.

I usually run in "safari mode" with soft top on, all windows removed and the door uppers (I run 1/2 doors) off.

It's not a problem to undo the two quick disconnects on the Gobi and flip it back to drop the soft top all together. Takes about 1-15 minutes.

Few gratuitous pics:
i-G3Hc9fw-L.jpgimage.jpg2015-10-03 13.52.22.jpgi-9fb3fTG-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94