Tepui Kukanam ruggedized corners tearing

sunnybean

Observer
I purchased my tent last spring and used it throughout the summer. This spring I went to set it up and noticed the corners are starting to wear. I emailed Tepui but have not received a response. I'm hoping one of you can provide some advice.

Below are photos of the corners. I'm wondering how to repair the tearing and also any tips on how to prevent it from happening in the future?

I appreciate any help.

Box Rocket

It looks like the wear is on the portion covering the "cord" the slides into the base track and holds the canopy to the base of the tent. The good news is that this won't be a risk for leaks or any other structural issues.
I'm guessing you used the main email for Tepui when you contacted them? With the recent event schedule of Overland Expo and other event I know a lot of the team has been away from the shop covering events which might be why you haven't received a response yet. You could also try to send your photos and description directly to warranty@tepuitents.com which will go directly to the warranty department. You might get a quicker response that way.
Where did you purchase your tent? Was it purchased new or used?

sunnybean

Observer
Thanks for the response, Adam.

Your assumption is correct, I used the only email listed (sales@...). I'll try the warranty email as you've recommended.

I purchased the tent new through REI the first time they ran their 20% off/free shipping to store sale.

I realize the wear will not cause major issues as is. My main concern is stopping it from getting any worse.

I have babied this tent. For the price and the "ruggedized" name I am shocked and disappointed to discover this is happening so quickly.

dlh62c

Explorer
Are these stake points?

I use old sliced up motorcycle inner tubes to act as shocks between the stakes and stake points on my tents. Short bungee cords with the hooks work too. It helps take the stress off the seams.

Any place that resoles and repairs shoes should be able to help you with repairs.

sunnybean

Observer
Are these stake points?

I use old sliced up motorcycle inner tubes to act as shocks between the stakes and stake points on my tents. Short bungee cords with the hooks work too. It helps take the stress off the seams.

Any place that resoles and repairs shoes should be able to help you with repairs.

No stakes. This is a rooftop tent.

I'm thinking it's sewn a little small and the tightness is causeing the material to wear through. I'm afraid adding any material to pad the inside will only exacerbate the tearing.

Thanks for the response, Adam.

Your assumption is correct, I used the only email listed (sales@...). I'll try the warranty email as you've recommended.

I purchased the tent new through REI the first time they ran their 20% off/free shipping to store sale.

I realize the wear will not cause major issues as is. My main concern is stopping it from getting any worse.

I have babied this tent. For the price and the "ruggedized" name I am shocked and disappointed to discover this is happening so quickly.

If you bought through REI why would you not address with them? Not saying that Tepui wont take care of you but you pay top dollar at REI for the coverage they extend to everything they sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior