GMT800 Tahoe or Suburban?

ClovisMan

Observer
I am scouring the net-o-sphere in search of a GM 4x4 SUV. It appears I can get a Tahoe or a Suburban for about the same price on the used market. Which would you choose and why? This will primarily be used in Texas to navigate the beaches in search of shark fishing destinations, but every now and then, we like to drive to AngelFire, NM and Durango, CO.

superbuickguy

Explorer
It depends on what is big enough to satisfy your needs. Most agree that bigger is better - then again, some just can't handle something that big.

ClovisMan

Observer
Well, I already have a crew cab Silverado Z71 so length/size is really not a problem (it is too nice to turn into a beach/camp truck). I am just inquiring if there are any advantages from one over the other besides the overall length. I know I can get a 2500 model in the Suburban and not the Tahoe so that in itself may be the only real advantage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The Suburban gets pretty much the same MPG but has a 5 gallon bigger tank (31 gallons vs 26) which in turn gives it significantly better fuel range. That's the 1500. A Suburban 2500 has a 37 gallon tank but they are much harder to find on the used market and considerably more expensive.
The Tahoe has a smaller turning radius (38.3 on the Tahoe vs 43.7 for the 'Burb) and the Tahoe weighs about 400 - 500lbs less. Difference in length is ~ 2' or so.
Honestly for such a small difference in MPG and weight, I think the 'Burb is a better choice. There's probably a reason that Burbs outnumber Tahoes/Yukons on ExPo by about 3:1.
Oh, one more thing: On the GMT-800 Burbs, you can roll the passenger windows all the way down. Tahoe windows only go down about half way due to the fender cutout on the back doors.

ClovisMan

Observer
Oh, one more thing: On the GMT-800 Burbs, you can roll the passenger windows all the way down. Tahoe windows only go down about half way due to the fender cutout on the back doors.
Ah HA! Now this is solid feedback. For those times when your backseat passengers need to hang their entire fanny out the window to do a Full Moon salute to your convoy partners. Burb it is. Let search continue...

boll_rig

Adventurer
I'd go burb. As said, the bigger fuel tank at the same mpg is a seller for me. I love the size as well.. Didn't know that about Tahoe windows, thats a serious drag ha.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Burb guy here also- but go for a 2500 if you can find one- same drivetrain as in the 3500 trucks- depending on year, 454 Big block or 6.0 LS, 9.25 front diff instead of time bomb 8.25, 4l80e trans instead of 60 and if you find the right one- a full float 14 rear instead of time bomb 8.6. Everything built better on the 2500s, much more reliable long term provided regular maintenance is followed. Extra cargo room is nice as well of course.

Best of Luck,

Mike

boss324

Observer
So I found this one near by. How bad is the window regulator swap?
https://killeen.craigslist.org/cto/6112415222.html
The regulator swap isn't a big deal pleanty of YouTube vids to give you an idea. That looks like a sweet deal! I do vote 2500 Suburban for all the reasons mentioned. HD suspension, HD 4L80E trans, 14 bolt rear axle, G80, 37.5 gallon tanks, sits 1" taller stock and choice of 6.0 LQ4 or the big boy 502ci 8.1L.

6ceb964e474df9a760b2a11649c6673b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My vote is suburban as well. Just the extra space in the cargo area is worth going with one. Plus, I think the longer rig looks better too

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As long as you're OK with the high miles that 2500 in TX looks like a pretty good deal. For under $3k you could budget in a lot of repairs. Does say it has rust, though, so I 'd take a creeper and look underneath.
That price is almost too good to be true which makes me wonder if there are significant issues with it. Anything that old, IMO, is going to have some problems so as long as you're willing to sink money into it, it might be OK. OTOH if you're looking for more of a "buy and drive" vehicle you might want to get something a bit newer or with lower miles.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
While I do love my Tahoe and think the turning radius is much better than a Suburban, if I did the project again knowing what I do now, I would get a 2500 Suburban.

Good luck with your shopping.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
It all depends on what you plan on using it for. If it's just you and a friend get the Tahoe, if you plan on driving around 3+ people and gear get the Suburban. 1500 vs 2500: if you want a cool truck that everyone compliments get the 2500, if you want a practical truck get the 1500. If you are a careful and conservative driver get the 1500, if you are buying a truck to prove to the world that you can abuse your truck until the 8.25 and 4L60E blows up and everyone to compliment you on how cool your truck is get the 2500. I have a 1500 Sub, run 37s on it with lots of fender trimming. I run the same trails that all my friends in Rubicons run but with AC and comfortable seating for 7, tow 12,000lbs occasionally and get 16.5mpg daily driving with 3.73 gears. If you already do not have a 2500 chances are that you will not need one and the 1500 will be less expensive and easier to find.

Good luck and show us pictures of your new toy.

p nut

butter
Well, I already have a crew cab Silverado Z71 so length/size is really not a problem...

I don't even know why this is up for discussion. Get yourself a Suburban! :)
_
I grew up with a friend whose dad had an old burban. Red, late-80's model, I think. That thing went everywhere. Then saw Dante's Peak. I've always wanted one since. It's not in the cards right now, as I value a truck bed more and wife refuses to drive one. They're nice vehicles, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke