Thermostat for a cooling fan for engel/ or other refrigerators???

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
To possibly consume less power, keep temps/food better and prolong the life of my Engle 45, I would like to if possible add a small fan to help during the summer months.
But only activated if the cabin temps exceed a certain #.
I'm kinda guessing at this...
Anyone?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Do you have tinted windows? That would help keep the interior cooler at all times.
Use of a windshield cover will make a big difference if it faces the sun.
Keep the windows cracked as much as reasonable, you need cross ventilation so just one window isn't a big help.
A blanket, sleeping bag etc over the fridge, but no limiting airflow over the coils and compressor, would help increase the R value of the cabinet.
Making sure the coils and compressor have adequate ventilation and not limited by items up against the grills will help.
A fan would work also but it will use electricity so pick your fan and controller with this in mind. I use pancake style computer fans that are ultra low draw for their cfm when on battery power.
I have my Engel 45 jammed into the back of my Scout with little cross ventilation and haven't seen any ill affects in 12 years so far. Some people leave them running 24/7 for years so I don't think that the extra work for a week or two a year is going to make any difference in the lifespan.
A friend left theirs in the trunk of their car for a few days during 90+ degree temps and said it was able to keep everything at the desired temp. It wasn't a great idea but the only option they had under the circumstances.

Darrell

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I have a fully insulated van with plenty of ventilation if/when needed. But at work my van sits in the direct Florida sun...
In the past 1.5 years my Engel hasn't had a problem. It currently sits in an insulated, breathable cabinet along with the transit bag.
I'm just hoping to ease the work it has to do to keep my food cold.
As for pull or push, I have the option for both.
And once in a while the temps get past 90 during the day inside my rig. I was hoping for the fan to come on at 90 and keep keep things from getting hotter.

hour

Observer
I think a fan pulling is more efficient than pushing,

what are you going to be venting out of / through? A hole you cut?

I added visors to my windows and leave them cracked year round. Can't even tell from the outside and I feel it helps with the fridge in the summer.

When I'm camping the windows are all the way down or if there's the chance of rain I roll them down ~2" to the point that the visors are just barely preventing rain from entering.

Guess there's always a cross breeze here... I've never thought of adding a fan to vent my interior.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
For the past few days I have been experimenting with a computer fan pulling air on way from the refrigerator and it has been cycling less. I'm thinking this might be a wise decision. Now just to find out how to implement with a thermostat. While I am good with 12 volt Electronics adding a thermostat seems a little tricky to me. Can anybody assist with a wiring diagram?
Thank you.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I too have rain visors on my front two doors and my fantastic fan is alway open because I have a rain cover on it. So air movement happens when it's breezy /windy outside. But the heat does build up through the day...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

This.

It's just a mechanical switch that turns on at a set temp and turns off when the temp drops. Doesn't get any simpler. You can choose from a variety of temp ranges and also if you want the 1/4" terminals sticking out the side or the back or at an angle.

I'd probably go with the close at 85 degrees open at 70 degrees (+/- 5 degrees).

Run the + wire from the battery to one side of the switch, the fan to the other.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Or is there a good reason I dont recognise running the fan independently of the 'fridge cycling on & off ?

Have to open up the fridge and tie it into the fridge wiring to make the fan come on with the compressor?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Probably beyond ability or desire of a guy asking how to switch on a fan.

Nice and friendly comment...

Yet, I've wired my entire van to run off solar/ 7622 and it has't burn to the ground in over two years of full timing ... odd, a simple switch is beyond my skill level.
So I guess something new has never ever been encountered before and no one ever asked a question.

Take it easy with the attitude, thanks.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Nice and friendly comment...

Yet, I've wired my entire van to run off solar/ 7622 and it has't burn to the ground in over two years of full timing ... odd, a simple switch is beyond my skill level.
So I guess something new has never ever been encountered before and no one ever asked a question.

Take it easy with the attitude, thanks.

English: Second Language.

His German humor doesn't always translate.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
lol

BTW, while it is a cabinet mount unit (not a portable chest), I wired up an "aux" fan for our 12vDC dometic/waeco fridge.

The cabinet clearances were on the small side of the MFG recommended, so I felt it wouldnt hurt.

Used nothing more than a 3-speed adjustable CPU fan, and wired it up so when the compressor kicks on, so does the fan.

I also build the cabinet to draw from the bottom, and exhaust out the top/side where the fan is.

In theory, it simply aides whatever convective air movement is already present.

Seems to do just fine. And the fridge is super efficient.
chassis121.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier