Roofnest Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I came across this Roofnest in February and it seems like another great RTT. The Roofnest is similar to many small vendors taking advantage of American ingenuity and and inexpensive Chinese manufacturing.

RTTonSideofRoad.jpg

RTTonSubaru Outback.jpg

One of our customers enjoying the Moab Spring.jpg

I have not purchased an RTT yet.

My 3 Obstacles To Buying An RTT

1. Expensive
  2. Requires A Roof Rack System
  3. How Do I Pee in the Middle of the Night.

I called Roofnest Owner Tim Nickles and we had a great conversation. He admits that his product is as good as the next competitor. His edge is quality and price. He is the solo employee owner. He has other businesses allowing him to sell at a small profit margin. In other words, he is not broke and is turning his passion into a full fledged business.

I wrote a Roofnest review on my camping blog as best a I could without owning the product. It's more of a plug for Tim Nickles. I have no vested interested in the company. We developed a friendship through common interest.

The product looks cool. I bet he may offer forum members a discount.

D90Rovin

Observer
Roofnest

I also spoke with the owner because I started seeing these tents popping up all over my local Craigslist. I'm in California and if I recall, Tim is in Colorado and would need to ship the tents. There is no rep or dealer in California
He was very quick to reply to my questions but there didn't seem to be any significant advantage over BigFoot tents (another Chinese Tent labeled by a USA company that is located close to me)
Tim gave me a more than fair quote for shipping but I couldn't get past the very limited 12 month warranty.

Last edited:

Roofnest

Roofnest has a 1-year warranty

Thanks Mark! Just to clarify, we actually have a 1-year limited warranty on parts, materials, and construction and we stand behind out tents. Check out the Product Information section of our website for info about our warranty program.

Our tents are different than Bigfoot's - please compare the two and get your questions answered so you can make the right decision about which to buy!

If there is interest in a Group Buy here on ExPo, I am totally open to helping create a discount and put one together.

Redierking

New to this forum and considering purchasing a Roofnest Sparrow for our Subaru Forester. Roofnest has done a good job of answering many of my questions, but I would like some advice from people that have experience using it.
Does anyone know approximately how much the extra drag having the a Sparrow or similar 12" tall roof tent affects the gas milage of the vehicle?
Our Forester has the radio antenna mounted on the rear of the roof in the center. It's a fairly flexible antenna, but wondering if I would need to relocate this antenna with the installation? Does anyone have experience with this? Maybe I can just install a bit farther forward on the vehicle? But, maybe that would create more drag.

Vicegrips

I thought the Roofnest tents looked great. I'm looking for a tent to put on the trailer I had built earlier this year. Noting the delivery date banner on the their site, as well as a sale of presumably limited duration, I made inquiries through their web site. They were prompt in answering my questions, though the responses that said they would not accept crypto, cash, or a cashier's check from Chase rules them out for me. I don't use credit for discretionary purchases, so I'll probably have to execute my fallback plan: find an available softside RTT from a shop within a hundred miles (Dayton, Cinci, Indy, Columbus), go buy it, install it, use it this year, and see what the market brings next spring. I'm not criticizing their policies, they just don't match up well with mine. They look like they have a nice product, perhaps things may work out in the future.

Safe travels!

Vicegrips

I thought the Roofnest tents looked great. I'm looking for a tent to put on the trailer I had built earlier this year. Noting the delivery date banner on the their site, as well as a sale of presumably limited duration, I made inquiries through their web site. They were prompt in answering my questions, though the responses that said they would not accept crypto, cash, or a cashier's check from Chase rules them out for me. I don't use credit for discretionary purchases, so I'll probably have to execute my fallback plan: find an available softside RTT from a shop within a hundred miles (Dayton, Cinci, Indy, Columbus), go buy it, install it, use it this year, and see what the market brings next spring. I'm not criticizing their policies, they just don't match up well with mine. They look like they have a nice product, perhaps things may work out in the future.

Safe travels!
A follow up here: I recently placed an order for a Roofnest Falcon Pro. I decided that supply, demand, availability, inflation, a windfall profit, and I'm not getting any younger meant it was time to put up or shut up. I've received an email indicating that tents should make it from the docks to their warehouse soon, and shipping from there to customers will follow asap. So I'm excited to see it, take a few pictures of it when mounted on the trailer, and report back to whomever is intersted.

Vicegrips

A follow up here: I recently placed an order for a Roofnest Falcon Pro. I decided that supply, demand, availability, inflation, a windfall profit, and I'm not getting any younger meant it was time to put up or shut up. I've received an email indicating that tents should make it from the docks to their warehouse soon, and shipping from there to customers will follow asap. So I'm excited to see it, take a few pictures of it when mounted on the trailer, and report back to whomever is intersted.
Falcon Pro arrived at my place this morning. Tent appears undamaged and all expected hardware (including allen wrenches and a ratcheting combo wrench) and accessories were included. Roofnest included a sand mat and one of those pop-up dressing room/shower/camp toilet tents. The packaging was rough. There was damage to the carton in more than one place, the tent which was originally shipped vertically, is now horizontal, and the tent and original pallet have been banded to a second, larger pallet. As the tent itself did not appear damaged, I took pictures, noted the packaging damage on the bill and accepted delivery. It's pretty much unpacked, assembled, and set up on the ground prior to trailer mounting. All looks good, and I'm still very happy with the Falcon Pro so far. The packaging worried me greatly, and I mentally calculated how big a $ gamble I might be taking by signing for the delvery, even when the condition is noted. This time it came up heads, and the tent looks fine. Thank you, Lord!

Gosh I'm looking forward to our first test campout. It will be good to relax, and we feel we're destined to be frequent campers! Others agree, as people have told us before we're two in tents.

Ba dum bum, crash! Safe travels, all!

Vicegrips

Falcon Pro on the trailer, 2 x 100w solar panels mounted. On to the wiring and charge controller mounting!
falcon pro solar (2).jpg

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I just ordered one this morning, taking advantage of the Black Friday Sale.....Biggest concern, like you, is shipping damage....Hope God also smiles on me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles