Solar sulution for soft top jeep ?

1v6pony

Adventurer
So I have a soft top jeep, want to run a fridge, this vehicle is only used a few miles a day and then on the weekends.
How do I set up a solar charge for this?
Thoughts?
Has anyone tried to sew in the nomad or similar panels to the top of a soft top?
Is there any issues with not running fridge all the time?
Or would my best option be a dual battery set up?

IMG_1259.JPG

john61ct

Adventurer
Like the yachties do on a bimini.

Semi flex panel permanently attached to a heavy duty stiff material, then super YKK HD zippers making sure it's stretched taut.

To the extent the panel actually flexes much once mounted, they won't last, but it's only money, that's what the zip's for.

Or carry the suitcase style foldouts.

Steve F

Adventurer
I run a dual battery battery setup and have a 60W folding panel that I chuck on the roof when I stop. I only run the fridge when I actually need it though, so even though it's parked most of the week the fridge isn't on. I also had a rack with solar on it, that would work better for running the fridge 24/7.

With roof rack and hard panels (40w total). Pics all shown with the hardtop but all works fine with soft top as well :)

20160526_141159_zpsletls7zi.jpg

No rack and fold out panel (18v output wired to a 5A regulator). Gets about 3A max when needed.

20170504_112952_zpsxdo5jqi2.jpg

20170510_151910_zpsevtscpiw.jpg

All packed into the pocket

20170510_152018_zps60bg4yam.jpg

Cheers
Steve

1v6pony

Adventurer
I did see that on bimini tops, my only concern is they do not get near as much wind as a soft top would doing 70mph, The bimini is taking most of the wind on the underside not the topside.

1v6pony

Adventurer
I see how a portable would work but for that matter I could just hook up a solar near the house and plug it in, every time I park it. My concern, I know it has probably been done, is driving off and forgetting to unplug and their goes everything....

1v6pony

Adventurer
I did just think of something though, I Could build my tire carrier to have it on top of the tire facing up kind of like they do on the jeep racks for extra stuff. This might work.

1v6pony

Adventurer
Ok so lets say with the way I use my rig, and with say a Dometic 50 fridge what is the smallest panel I can get away with if I want to leave the fridge on 24/7 ?

Steve F

Adventurer
Its tricky, if the Jeep is in the sun then the fridge will be as well and the ambient temp in the Jeep will be high so the fridge will work hard, I run 240W with my trailer for the same fridge and a 105AH battery and it charges up quick but you need the extra watts for the days the sun doesn't come out for long or at all. Minimum for rainy days will be a lot more than sunny spring and autumn days. With my setup on the trailer it can pretty much run continually as long as there is clear sky, or at least a brightish sky every 3 or 4 days.

Cheers
Steve

tarditi

Explorer
Exactly - I have my ARB plugged in in the back enclosed porch and it serves as a beer fridge

Got the ARB wire kit for the jeep during trips and I carry a jump pack in case it gets low, but with a little tending while stationary during trips (every other day) the battery stays strong and drinks stay cold.

1v6pony

Adventurer
I think I am going to do a dual battery in the Jeepster and solar panel for my trailer that I can also plug into the dual battery set up.
Thanks all for your thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles