APRS Race/Chase question

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So I think this is possible but I need some help figuring it out...

For the Mexican 1000 we are always trying to figure out where our race truck is in Baja.
Currently we run Yaesu 2900 radios for comm.
My thought is another radio/antenna combo in the race vehicle with whatever is required (tiny tracker) to have it transmit location info.

Then in the chase rigs we would have setups that would display the position on a map.

So my questions are:
Do we need dual band/transceiver radios to still have comm and get the gps info? Kenwood 710's?
What do we need to show the info on a map? I swear I have seen folks show a dot on a Garmin Nuvi but I can not find out how.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The problem is APRS repeaters are nowhere in Baja so you'll be relying solely on direct simplex essentially, thus range is tough and those far away won't get the info. We run a Tiny Tracker in our vehicle and it was nice to see some direct pings but nothing like the US with such great repeater coverage.

Check out APRS Droid

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I wonder if there's a way to have a hf radio on a mobile nvis type antenna. Could give 200 to 500 mile range.

Anyone think that as doable? I know there a company that makes a stealth nvis roof rack. But the mobile part is the question.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Chris Boyd

Explorer
You'd be better off to install two or three "tactical repeaters" along the route than to mess with the HF NVIS... maybe see if race management would allow it in secure locations? Having never been down there, I'm guessing this would be a challenge to secure on high ground where the the repeater(s) would be most effective.

Given it would be a shared frequency, you'd have others using it too I suspect. In fact, I'm surprised one of the commercial outfits that handle race comms for other events hasn't jumped on this.

Agree with Kurt on the tiny trackers. They can be ruggedized to nearly any degree and draw low power.

aearles

Observer
How frequently would you want/need position updates? I would think this could be a challenge in a race scenario. Even on relatively slow moving group trail runs, by the time I get APRS beacons from the leader, I'm on top of or beyond the position that was reported. I think the D710's lowest beacon interval is 1 Minute, and if you have any other traffic on the frequency, collisions/interference will increase that.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Given it would be a shared frequency, you'd have others using it too I suspect. In fact, I'm surprised one of the commercial outfits that handle race comms for other events hasn't jumped on this...

Race sanctioning bodies are using satellite tracking and communication suites, (STELLA, Iritrack) they offer realtime tracking for your team but also comms and most recently (for Baja1000) is the ability to see your being passed or coming up in another vehicle, it's a game changer in the silt beds and dust. Third-party companies are joining in with realtime sat driven comms too. Here is a Utah based one offering a paid solution: http://www.darksidecomms.com

Have you check this out Chris?
https://www.beartooth.com

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Separately...if this a commercial endeavor use a satillite based system as ham radio can't be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
Seems like an InReach or similar would be a much better solution

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

toddz69

Explorer
Race sanctioning bodies are using satellite tracking and communication suites, (STELLA, Iritrack) they offer realtime tracking for your team but also comms and most recently (for Baja1000) is the ability to see your being passed or coming up in another vehicle, it's a game changer in the silt beds and dust. Third-party companies are joining in with realtime sat driven comms too. Here is a Utah based one offering a paid solution: http://www.darksidecomms.com

We used Stella at NORRA this year and really liked it. When we had data coverage (getting more and more along the peninsula), it was very handy to watch the truck using it. And the in-truck alerts are awesome. Thankful that Lance is always looking for the next level of solution!

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier