What are you lining your interior walls with?

Ramdough

Adventurer
What are you lining your interior walls with?

I know the composite sandwich guys just use the sandwich as their interior finish, but for the rest of us........ what are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpier

Expedition Leader
I've used 4mm okoume plywood w/ paint and formica. depends on where it's going and the effect you're trying to achieve. plywood can add a structural component if needed (shear panel); use with adhesive.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I want to build for 4 season extremes. Realistically highs around 105F to -20F, but -40F could be possible too.

Condensation is a concern.

Usually I will be in the hotter end of the spectrum.

southpier

Expedition Leader
use a sound deadener on the van metal (bottom/ top/ sides - some have more approval but any brand is better than none) before you do anything else. install either a fan (active method requiring power source) but never over the bed, or a pair of opposed vents (passive not requiring power) so you can keep some air flowing through.

I think condensation is a topic worth of its own thread. I dislike the "seal it up tight" school of thought so tend to cut panels so air can migrate in and out of them.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
V3 XV - Interior walls lining

I am almost complete. I built an Earthroamer style expedition camper DIY. My camper box is carbon fiber/foam core sandwich construction. I am gluing a vinyl faux leather material to the walls with 3M 90 adhesive.

It doesn't absorb water or condensation. Light weight, easy to scrub clean. Has a soft, warm feel.

I bought it from buyfabrics.com

Ramdough

Adventurer
Right now, I am leaning towards using a Formica style coating over foam or fiberglass over foam with a decorative gel coat on top of that.

If I don't use foam core or HC panels, I will need an cleanable hard coating.

southpier

Expedition Leader
for anyone using formica (any brand plastic laminate) over plywood, you will need a balancing sheet on the other side to maintain material stability.

(I know: "i gotta frien' who di'n't an' it's been fine ...)

Ramdough

Adventurer
for anyone using formica (any brand plastic laminate) over plywood, you will need a balancing sheet on the other side to maintain material stability.

(I know: "i gotta frien' who di'n't an' it's been fine ...)

Are you suggesting that thermal expansion will cause the walls to curl?

plh

Explorer
The PO of my trailer built it using a bead board paneling type material on the interior walls. It's warping pretty bad after 6 years. I'll be replacing most of it with 1/4" birch plywood.

southpier

Expedition Leader
Are you suggesting that thermal expansion will cause the walls to curl?

I don't think thermal as much as humidity. then the movement works on the contact cement holding the formica, and then that delaminates causing loose spots.

the stuff cuts with scissors. it's basically resin impregnated kraft paper. talk to the guys where you buy materials and some cabinet makers. some will say yes, some no, some will shrug and go back to whatever they were doing...

_hein_

Observer
We use 3M Thinsulate(TM) SM600L and/or SM400L as a single solution for acoustic/thermal insulation and panel resonance control in vans. For wall and ceiling panels we like 6mm Celtec expanded PVC. We do also recommend Okoume plywood but all woods should be sealed with a low VOC polyurethane on both sides.

Gren_T

Adventurer
When I did the van out I used 1/4 birch ply panels with automotive stretch carpet stuck to it, behind the panels there is a sandwich of synthetic insulation between silver reflective material stuck to the van sides.
Its been warm and very hard wearing over the last 3yrs.
T5 (79).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles