Build stove?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So, I'm feeling pretty much underwhelmed by the various propane camp stoves that I've seen and touched lately. They all seem flimsy and far too deep for what they do.

Has anyone ever built their own stove? I know there are more than a few people on here with basic engineering, welding, and sheet metal skills.

And, please don't get me wrong, I fully understand that If I attempt this I will spend far more than I would on commercial options, make a bunch of compromise along the way, and probably blow one or more things up while never actually finishing the project... but... it seems like it might be fun!

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Keep us posted on your progress.

If you admit defeat, I would suggest a Partner Steel stove. You will hand it down to your kids.

Nate

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I suspect that this will end with partner steel at some point in the future, but I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm big on actually feeling, inspecting, and using something before purchase. It is almost crippling to live with that attitude in an age of internet purchasing.

kevin_j

Partner steel makes a super nice propane stove, but I'm more partial to the burner designs of the MSR dragonfly. I'm working on installing two of them into an aluminum box with a grate top for ease of use. I personally love the flexibility of white gas.

tarditi

Explorer
Another vote for Partner... I've got coleman (a propane and a classic dual-fuel) and camp chef everest myself - will get a partner as soon as my other build priorities are met.

AFSOC

Explorer
Partners are very nice stoves. When you consider the cost of materials and consumables in addition to the time to build your own, you can justify the purchase price as cost effective. The off the shelf Partners do provide you opportunities to make improvements to the windscreens and grates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles