Thinking about taking the G plunge

FJOE

Regular Dude
I am looking at an '02 G500. I would be trading in a super low mileage (12k) 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. I have contacted the seller in an effort to find out more about it, but the pics look good, and its got a little over 160 on the clock. Are there issues with these model years that I should be aware of? How is the support from MB? it wouldn't come abroad, it would stay in the states. it would ideally get a rack, and my Mombasa awning off my old FJC.

What am I getting in to? How is the support for a 15 year old vehicle that is somewhat rare in the states? How easy is it for me to take care of minor issues in my driveway?

Joe

AFSOC

Explorer
G wagons are cool vehicles to own. They are exclusive enough that they have sort of a "Truck Norris" legend that surrounds them. You can make most any claim about their on or off-road prowess, reliability and robustness and there aren't a bunch of naysayers coming out of the woodwork to dispute your claims. Few of us have experience behind the wheel of a G-Klasse and very few Gelandewagens are seen running challenging trails side by side with the ordinary Jeep and Toyota wheelers to really compare the G's off-road chops against the competition.
Ownership of a G does change the way people perceive you. The Benz luxury name, the G-wagon's exclusivity and it's military origins will get you noticed and earn you credibility that you won't receive from driving a run of the mill domestic or Japanese rig. It's one of the few 4x4 rigs that will have just as many admiring gawkers when rolling on 22inch rims as it does fully armored with an RTT mounted....albeit a completely different group admirers.
Mercedes Benz dealers are known to have a robust and efficient parts distribution system. I don't think that it would be too hard to get parts and support for an aging G through routine means. The enthusiast based assistance with recommendations, lessons learned and advice is very strong. I don't know how to gage reliability of an older Gelandewagen. I'm not sure what can be considered "expected failures" and everyone's tolerance and scale for "acceptable failures" is different. Scott Brady has owned a G for several years and is enamored with it. He has made the statement that it's the most reliable car he's ever owned although his G-klasse is now on it's third engine.
:oops:
I love G's, love the look and love the mystique. I do not own one but if the right opportunity came about, I would. It wouldn't be regularly used as an offroader, too expensive to risk or repair and not as capable in the tough stuff as my Jeep.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Have fun, but I would go into fully aware of what you are getting. Cost of ownership after the purchase will be expensive enough that I'd keep an emergency fund for this vehicle unless you are fairly liquid.

otiswesty

Regular guy
When I see other (stock) G owners on the road, they usually wave or flash their lights. You probably don't get that in the Grand Cherokee crowd unless yours and their are significantly lifted or modified. That "club" aspect is kind of nice. The '02 may need work lie a drive shaft or plugs and coil packs. Much of this is easily DIY for some one so inclined, but the parts through the dealer network can be spendy, even using the online wholesale dealers. A lot of stuff is available aftermarket now through the local FLAPS and eBay, so that can help mitigate service costs.

Go for it!

koly

Observer
The pointed3 and clubgwagen forums are great resources for shade-treeing maintenance and minor repairs...

If you search those forums for 2002 MY, you'll find all the usual issues (window regulators are a big one). MB support is fine if it's an official MBUSA model and not a Europa import (if I recall Europa did have a few 02s they imported before MBUSA took over).

With a vehicle that age, you'll want to check on some of the major components - propeller shafts, unless they've been religiously maintained, will be at or beyond their life - are NOT cheap, and I believe are not designed to be a serviceable item - replacement only.

The hydraulic lockers and their actuators should be looked at to make sure nothing has seized up over the probable lack of use in those years. Both the idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley are suspect at that age if they haven't been replaced yet, either, and it might be a good idea to replace the crankshaft position sensor, too. The swivel ball seals and suspension components & bushings will all be in the repair/replace age... (although my 2000 G is still on the original shocks/springs).

Not to scare you off, but you could be looking at some fairly expensive maintenence issues right off the bat unless the seller has some good records and you can inspect the vehicle.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Thanks all, I decided against it. I think I am going to build up my Wk2 instead. It's easier, and of course cheaper. Plus resale would be easier if I want to move on to something else later. I appreciate the insight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles