2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CDT

Brianagg06

Continuing the build of my daily driver, a 2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/ 5.9L Cummins. Quad cab, short bed, 173,000 miles. Was hoping for some advice

As it stands, vehicle is presently leveled on OEM coils, with 315x75x17 BFG ATs on Methods. Bilstein 5100s all around, Bilstein Steering stabilizer, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball Joints, and 2008.5 Steering Upgrade. Now starting to plan for new coils & control arms. Currently and have it narrowed to either 3” coils (Carli or Thuren), or Thuren 2” leveling coils; control arms would either be Carli or Thuren. I would like to increase to 35’s when tires need replacing. Eventually, would look at tackling the rear leafs to something with softer rate, as I don’t tow/haul heavy much, but that’s at a later date.

Intentions would be overland camping trips with family (Big Bend/Angelina Forest), runs down the Padre Island National Seashore down here in TX, and daily drives to work. It also needs to be able to fit into my parking garage at work, so can’t have a massive increase in height…currently it fits with about 6” to spare from top of cab. I want the build to be sensible, as I’m not planning anything crazy with the truck, just want a good, high quality, comfortable riding suspension, that allows backcountry exploring.

So, the question is. Would you keep the truck leveled with the 2” coils, or would you take a jump to the 3” coils? If so, would you do Carli progressive or Thuren linear coils, and why?

The_ocho

I just want to say that your 315s are as near as makes no difference to 35"s. with that being said I have 35x12.5r17 BFG KO2s on my 07 2500 that is leveled with a 2.5" spacer. I think the height is perfect. I just put on some 3" lift control arms to move the axle forward and I'm super happy with how it sits and rides.

I don't have any advice on coils. I would read reviews about the coils and how much the settle. Maybe the 3" settles to 2.5. maybe the 2" actually gets you 3"

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
Looks like you've really made some great upgrades with some real high quality equipment. If you're thinking about going up in height a little more in the near future you might just want to consider a leveling spacer in front for now. It's not the most exotic manner to level things out but it's an economical choice until you get the more advanced lift figured out. I went with Hellbent Steel. I think mine is a 2" - which, having a 3500 model and the increased rear leaf pack, still leaves me ever so slightly nose down on over all stance. I too have the 315 KO2's - Don't want to derail this thread into a tire fight but I wish I had heeded the recommendations of others here and on the Cummins Forum about NOT using these tires on trucks that are as heavy as ours. Mine have worn way beyond my expectations in just 1.5yrs. I won't be buying them again, that's for sure.

A possible solution for your rear suspension might be to acquire the lift with air bags and/or some combination of adding/removing a leaf. This might allow you to customize your ride height and feel as your truck changes roles from weekend warrior to daily driver.

Hope some of this helps, hopefully some others chime in with some other ideas too! I'd like to see what folks say - I've been debating a small lift over what I currently have (leveled out stock ride height).

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I am sitting in your exact same boat - 2005 Dodge Long Bed on 35 x12.5 x17 and I rub a little more than I care to I haul a 4 wheel camper. Trying to increase some travel without raising the COG to much

My Plan with CJC offroad-

Thuren 2''
Thuren Track Bar
Metal Tech .5 longer control arms
Bilstein all 4 corners
Synergy swaybar links

According to what I was tol the Thuren 2'' and Bilsteins balance out nicely. If I jump to 3'' coils a different shock altogether.

Brianagg06

Thanks everyone. Most likely I'll go with the Thuren 2" leveling coils, to avoid having to change shocks, and having shackle the rear to maintain the level stance. I'll try and keep the build updated on this thread

I had rubbing on the fenders with the original wheels that were on it (aftermarket from previous owners), but this has been eliminated when the Methods were put on, with their 4.75 backspace.

Most current job planned on the truck is a front/rear pinion seal replacement, U Joint replacement, and diff fluid change. Mag Hytec most likely coming to the rear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior