Jeep TJ with 2" Lift - Rooftop Tent Handling?

T.Wagner

Hi All,

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler and I am looking into getting a rooftop tent like a Tepui Ayer or Kukenam. I wanted to know if anyone has experience on how adding a rooftop tent to their Jeep effected the handling? Does it still handle ok? How is off-road use? Does it feel tippy?

Any help is much appreciated!
Tyler

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Depending on what you plan to wheel. If it's only flat dirt roads you should be ok. If you have any steep hills or inclines, be prepared to be in a very precarious situation. You might be better off with a trailer.

T.Wagner

I really like the idea of an adventure trailer of some sort but they are just so much money! Does anyone know of any inexpensive DIY plans out there for one? This could work so that I could drive pretty far and wheel/explore a bit without worrying about the tippy-ness of a RTT.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I've been off camber, not exactly offroad, and done serious highway driving with a nearly 13' kayak on top and never felt unstable. I figure that might be a decent enough comparisson to a RTT on top. My TJ in on a 2.5" lift and 32" tires, also a 2005. Capable of cruising 80 with the kayak on top but much easier and quieter cruising 70.

BTW, good to see you venturing here from WF

Last edited:

PhulesAU

Explorer
I really like the idea of an adventure trailer of some sort but they are just so much money! Does anyone know of any inexpensive DIY plans out there for one? This could work so that I could drive pretty far and wheel/explore a bit without worrying about the tippy-ness of a RTT.

Look for use jet ski trailer, very basic frame to start and very likely to have matching hubs. Do a spring over and you'll be sitting pretty level with the Jeep with very little effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz