Nissan Titan crossbeams for RTT

docsimple

Observer
Hey all, I'm picking up my Titan on Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows where to get some crossbeams to go over the bed to support my RTT. Not the kind that stick way up but just across the top of the bed if I am making sense. I don't do welding so I am stuck with buying something pre-made.

Been searching ebay and not seeing much that would work.

Thank!

docsimple

Observer
It should have the rails but they may be under a bed liner. I'll see in Saturday. If it does I just need bars to finish it off? Looks like these plus bars for about $200. Seems almost too reasonable!

E.J.

Explorer
Just add bars to those and you'd be good to go. If the truck doesn't have the utili track rails Yakima makes a similar setup that clamps to the bedrails.

docsimple

Observer
Thanks E.J.! Was checking out your Fronteir build and saw, in 2015 at least, that amazing beard. I have to cut mine to wear a mask on the lab at work and I am completely jealous. Oh yeah, nice truck too 👍

E.J.

Explorer
Lol thanks man, the beard has been with me long time. Looking forward to seeing this Titan.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
So if I am reading this right you are looking to put the root top tent on top of the bed. Pretty much even with the back window of the truck. Take the space a shell would normally be.
Pretty slick. Never thought about putting one there. Closes off most of the bed. I like the idea.

I don't know of any quick off the shelf bits to make that work. But with a little creativity I can see some tubing (probably square) cut and bolted working out. Do you have the Utilitrack system? You could probably tie that into the track system easy enough.

docsimple

Observer
Yup closes off the bed for a portable fridge/freezer and assorted gear. Unfortunately the truck does not have the utilitrack and I only ahve a few weeks to get it ready for a 3k mile trip through Montana and Wyoming.

Also, I have zero welding skills. I will need to see if Yakima / Thule has something off the shelf. Also in a another thread someone recommended Frontrunner.

E.J.

Explorer
The company I linked above makes a version that works with standard beds. Yakima's version is called the bedrock and costs twice as much. Pretty sure the Frontrunner rack requires the utilitrack.

docsimple

Observer
I found the inno system and it is at the level I want but the back beam will be right against the truck cab. Not sure that will allow mounting the tent. At work right now so I'll do some measurements tonight. May have to find a welder to make some crossbeams to work with those mounts. Something that comes in a few inches goes towards the rear a few inches than across. If that makes any sense.

http://www.autoanything.com/truck-racks/65A4841A0A0.aspx#customerReviewsSection

qX37zIr.jpg

OYITXJ6.jpg

Last edited:

broncobowsher

Adventurer
With such a short timeline I would go get some 2x4 lumbar and build something. Not a permanent solution, but will get you through the trip. Also see what you like (and don't like) about the setup. After that you can search out a long term solution. No need to hastily spend money.

docsimple

Observer
I got the Yakima setup. It was $230 (inno was $200) on sale. It will get me through this year. I get not wasting money and rushing but after a year if it's all good I can turn it over for $1-150. So not too expensive and gives me a lot if breathing room to look at longer term solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94