Help me price our Gen3

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Considering jumping off our Gen3, but with the wild price range i've seen on these, along with every CL posting shared in the thread on here with a few of you saying "Terrible deal, i paid pocket lint and a half pack of gum for mine," i have no idea how to price it.

I am the 3rd owner.

Details:

2003 black on black 20th Anniversary Edition.
~130k miles, 9/10 condition inside and out.
60k service, all idler/tensioner serpentine pullies, plugs/wires, VC gaskets, and oil pressure sending unit replaced in 12/16. About 3000 miles ago at most.
Old Man Emu HD suspension, ~15k miles
235/85-16 Duratracs on stock 20th Anniversary wheels, 50-60% tread left.
Ice cold AC, hot hot heat
No CELs or warning lights of any kind.
Stereo in perfect working order, no blown speakers
Rust free

The Not Completely Awesome:
Someone in the People's Republik of California was nice enough to break the antenna off
Cloudy headlights
Small clear coat issue on top of license plate frame
Gas gauge seems flakey, which seems to be common. The "miles to empty" display works fine.

Drives incredibly well, gets about 20mpg highway with me driving it, and looks great sitting in my driveway.

More Montero by concealer404, on Flickr

More Montero? by concealer404, on Flickr

Last edited:

The Viper

Adventurer
I love the black on black.

I didn't see you mention timing belt and related components, was that done at the 60k service?
I think offthepath is pretty accurate with the appraisal.
I got mine at a dealer in Florida for 6800,it had 119k and brand new tires.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I love the black on black.

I didn't see you mention timing belt and related components, was that done at the 60k service?
I think offthepath is pretty accurate with the appraisal.
I got mine at a dealer in Florida for 6800,it had 119k and brand new tires.

That's what i meant by 60k service. Timing belt, all front seals, tensioner, water pump, whole 9 yards. PCV and rear cam seal replaced as a preventative measure. Hell, i've even sprung for brand new oem windshield washer nozzles on this thing in the last couple months.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Gen 3's with 3.8 seem to be worth considerably more than the early models which we buy for pocket lint and gum. Thinking about selling mine after R&D is done for skid plates, lift, tires and such

newworld2004

Adventurer
That's what i meant by 60k service. Timing belt, all front seals, tensioner, water pump, whole 9 yards. PCV and rear cam seal replaced as a preventative measure. Hell, i've even sprung for brand new oem windshield washer nozzles on this thing in the last couple months.

so timing belt is due again.

newworld2004

Adventurer
If current millage is 130K and timing belt job was done at 60K, is that mean Montero is due for another timing belt/water pump work?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I didn't own the truck at 60k. I said it had a 60k service less than 3000 miles ago.

I've put around $2k of work into it since December, shouldn't need anything but gas and oil changes for the next 50k+ miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier