Add waypoint to Gaia via gaiagps.com from lat / lon coordinates?

outback97

Adventurer
I recently bought the Gaia app for my iphone and so far it has been pretty useful. I am trying to figure out how to add some waypoints via gaiagps.com on my desktop browser, rather than through the phone. I have a list of lat / lon coordinates in a guidebook, they are not in any digital format.

I can add them using lat / long on the phone, but would prefer to do it on the desktop and sync with the phone app if possible. Is there a good way to do this?

1Louder

Explorer
Anything you do on the website will sync with your phone and vice-versa unless you tell the site not to sync something.

sickchilly

Observer
Create a GPX file with all your waypoints and import it to the web site or mobile app. Use a text editor and save as a plain text file with .gpx extension. Here's the absolute minimum info you need with 3 example way points. Just add more as necessary.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gpx version="1.1">
<wpt lat="47.9618767" lon="-124.3111584">
<name>Campsite</name>
</wpt>
<wpt lat="46.8602559" lon="-121.8553492">
<name>Mt. Rainier</name>
</wpt>
<wpt lat="37.8045968" lon="-122.4145671">
<name>Pier 39</name>
</wpt>
</gpx>

Last edited:

outback97

Adventurer
Anything you do on the website will sync with your phone and vice-versa unless you tell the site not to sync something.

Right. And I can add waypoints using lat / lon coordinates via the phone. But when I use the website: Create > Create Waypoints I get, "Click the map to add waypoints". There's no way that I can see (though I'm new to this) to add via lat / lon coordinates. Adding them via the desktop would be quicker and easier because I could cut and paste and name them much more rapidly than on my iphone.

Here's my workflow that I'd like to improve upon:

Starting with list of waypoints in my guidebook,
Manually type one into a coordinate conversion site on my desktop. They're in DDD MM.mm format and I need DDD.dddd

Go to my phone app
Tap the "+" and create waypoint
Type name of waypoint
Enter DDD.dddd format lat / long

Repeat the above for every waypoint. It's pretty tedious so I'm hoping there's an easier way.

outback97

Adventurer
Create a GPX file with all your waypoints and import it to the web site or mobile app. Use a text editor and save as a plain text file with .gpx extension. Here's the absolute minimum info you need with 3 example way points. Just add more as necessary.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gpx version="1.1">
<wpt lat="47.9618767" lon="-124.3111584">
<name>Campsite</name>
</wpt>
<wpt lat="46.8602559" lon="-121.8553492">
<ele>Mt. Rainier</ele>
</wpt>
<wpt lat="37.8045968" lon="-122.4145671">
<ele>Pier 39</ele>
</wpt>
</gpx>

That's pretty cool, will have to play around with that method, thanks!

I will still have to convert formats but it's a lot easier on the desktop than typing on my phone.

1Louder

Explorer
Sorry, you are correct with the cloud app. You have to use the map which is not convenient for what you are trying to do. The suggestion for creating a GPX file is a good one.

outback97

Adventurer
Thanks guys, the GPX file is working well. The only time consuming part is the manual conversion of the coordinates, but there's no way around it and other than that it's really quick and easy.

outback97

Adventurer
Just discovered that I can change the settings on my phone app to degrees and decimal minutes, and that allows me to enter them directly using that format without any conversion. It's nice to have some options.

Thanks again for the replies.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
You can also manually type any coordinate into Google Earth and it will create a marker for you. Do that for your points, then save as a KML. Import that into Gaia, Hema, or any other good GPS system =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles