Mercedes trucks in North America?

sharkbait73

Hi All!

I am looking at a 1980's-1990's Mercedes truck to import (to Canada) in the near future. I haven't settled on a model yet as I'm still trying to figure out my camper/cabin needs, size, weights, etc...but am generally looking at 917's, 1017's, and the like (Cabover, 4x4, not really Unimogs). Some people on this forum seem to have had good success with former fire/emergency vehicles. I chose the "vintage" range above primarily for 2 reasons: ability to take different grades of diesel from different countries, and little to no electronics/mechanical simplicity. I hope I'm on point there.

My initial travel plans would be North and South America. Maybe far off in the future I can look at getting to other continents :).

What I am wondering from anyone that may own (or previously owned) one of these trucks in North America is:

1. How difficult has it been to get replacement parts?
  2. Have you been able to identify and source part numbers through "regular" dealerships or are you having to find specialty shops or even Overseas vendors to order from?
  3. Would I have better support/success in North/South America with other brands such as DAF, Iveco, MAN, etc versions (of similar size/capability) rather than Mercedes?

Thanks for your input folks!

Scott

kerry

Expedition Leader
I owned a Mercedes 409d van in the US, a model which was never imported to the US. Impossible to get parts from a normal Mercedes dealer. No parts information at all at the dealer. I found the best choice was a British parts supplier.

Neil

Observer
I have a 1988 1017a.
Here in the UK approximately 95% of parts are available via Mercedes Dealerships. Loads of pattern and alternative branded parts also very easy to source.

Can't see getting parts for the 917 or 1017a a problem. The engine in both of these is the OM 352a. Millions of them out there.

Neil

Www.cloud9isborn.Blogspot.com

Sitec

Adventurer
One way to find out... Quote the chassis number of the truck you plan to import to a main dealer in North America (or use the number off Neil's in the UK or mine in Australia).. Using that (those) chassis numbers, ask them for a price and availability on something like a hub seal or rocker gasket, and see what they come up with... If they can supply, then you're in business!! ;)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Before I bought my German Spec Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 double cab, I went to the local dealer to run the Chassis number. They pulled up the full build sheet. Getting parts shouldn't a be problem. Just allow for some time to get them into the country.

Sitec

Adventurer
Years ago I worked for one of the larger Overland Tour companies, and they were running British Mercedes 1617's, 2421's and a few 1735's in South America, and whilst in Africa I was always amazed how many of the parts they had in stock on the shelf for NG, MK and SK trucks. Not sure how commonplace these Euro beasts were in America, but there's still plenty floating around in the UK, Africa and here in Australia. My 1222 runs the same axles, hubs shoes, engine and box that the older trucks did. Very interested as to what you find out, as we do have plans to travel across the US in the next 10 years. :)

A Mercedes dealer in the US is likely to be completely clueless and useless. They actually "officially" sold the U500NA Unimog in the US 2003-2006 and Mercedes dealers deny any knowledge or ability to get parts. I get engine parts (filters etc) from my local Detroit Diesel dealer which previously sold the OM906LA motor, I get other parts from Merex in Germany. A subscription to the EPC is inexpensive and a good idea, it is 100% accurate with the VIN or chassis number.

Charlie

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Electronic Parts Catalogue I think. It comes as part of the Mercedes WIS (workshop instruction) manuals which are readily available on eBay. Incredible wealth of information on them, highly recommended if you own an unusual merc.

Joe917

Explorer
I have owned and traveled North America for the last 4 years in a MB 917AF.
Parts are impossible to get from Mercedes dealers in Canada or the US. I get filters through Amazon. My main North American parts sources are :

http://www.unimogcanada.com/
http://terryleeenterprises.com/About/about.html
http://www.eurotech-services.com/

All 3 have a good parts inventory, I highly recommend Rob at Terry Lee.
The truck has been very reliable so parts have not been much of an issue. Our truck was built as a motorhome on a brand new chassis in 1994 and has been lived in ever since. An ex-fire truck is a better choice than ex-army or a dump truck which see more abuse.

sharkbait73

Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses! I think that has helped a lot. Based on your responses I don't think it's as bad as I thought, and I am somewhat reassured that I should be able to make it work, using your advice. Now...selection and pulling the trigger... :-D

Cheers,
Scott

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just a heads up on the importing part into Canada: Make sure (get it in writing from the shipper) that your trucks is absolutelly spotless! Any grain of sand/dirt will get canada customs upset and they will send the whole thing back where it came from at your expense! We just made this very costly and time consuming mistake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles