Chevy Colorado with a camper?

zuren

Adventurer
As my vehicle fleet is aging, I'm trying to come up with a succession plan. I'm considering going from 2 cars and fullsize van to a car and a more versatile, multi-role vehicle.....namely a truck.

For my daily commute, a fullsize truck would be way more than I need (I work in an office) and mileage not much better than the van I already own. But then I noticed the diesel available in the Chevy Colorado and the estimated 28-30MPG highway. If I switched to a midsize truck to do be able to do everything, I'm assuming any camper would be pretty tight for a family of 2 adults and 1 toddler (for now, there is talk of another kid)? I would even consider a camper that is a basic shell to mostly accommodate sleeping and some storage.

Are there many members here using the Colorado truck platform with a slide in camper that would care to comment on their experience? Any left wanting for a bigger truck?

I'm looking to do something in the next year or 2, so picking up a used, diesel, 4dr, 4x4 Colorado may become easier.

Thanks!

p nut

butter
As has been mentioned before, payload would be the big concern there. Especially with a diesel, where it's lower than a gas engine. As you know, with a kid (or two), cargo fills up pretty quick, too.
_
Any reason to avoid a full-size gas truck? Something like a V6 F150 or Silverado? That should net you pretty good MPG (mid 20's freeway) and you won't get hit with the diesel tax.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Payload capacity appears to be in the 1150 range for Tacomas and plenty of people run around with Tacomas with a 4wheel camper on it. Diesel Colorado appears to be about 1500 lbs so as long as you are paying attention to the weight of the camper + occupants don't see an issue.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Payload capacity appears to be in the 1150 range for Tacomas and plenty of people run around with Tacomas with a 4wheel camper on it. Diesel Colorado appears to be about 1500 lbs so as long as you are paying attention to the weight of the camper + occupants don't see an issue.

The Tacoma's often have significant suspension modifications.

malibubts

Adventurer
Since you are talking in the next year or two, Ford should have their F150 out with a 3.0L diesel. You could also consider a used Ram EcoDiesel (or new if the EPA issues are sorted out). Both of those will have extremely similar fuel economy to the Colorado diesel.

Personally I prefer full size over mid size, but everyone is different. Also for what it's worth you have to get one of the highest trim levels in the Colorado to get the diesel. That is not the case in the Rams and remains to be seen with the F150s.

I don't think there are very many people under their legal rating with a slide in camper that's not in a 3/4 or 1 ton. About the only ones I can think of are F150s with the HD payload package. A little common sense goes a long way in this department IMO.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Even most 3/4 and 1-ton truck camper owners are over their max GVWR.

I'm not saying its okay, but that's just how most do it.

Personally, until a 1/2 ton is made with a full float rear axle, I wont own one.

JDaPP

Adventurer
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...Four-Wheel-Camper-Fleet-Icon-ARB-Supercharged

This guy did a 4 wheel camper on Tacoma and was in a similar situation to you family wise.

4wheel campers:We build campers for most every size truck on the market today. It really doesn't matter if you have a big truck, a small truck, a long bed, or a short bed, we probably make a camper for it. We even have the new Swift Model to fit the mid/mini sized quad cab trucks, like the Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab, Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, etc. Four Wheel Campers are built to fit with excellent weight and balance characteristics, as well as low profile. Six or eight cylinder engines provide the best performance, and 2 or 4 wheel drive depending on your driving conditions, payload needs, or height restrictions.

They are going to be your best bet for a light camper. I would look at them, see what camper will work for you and then buy the truck to fit.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
One thing to consider in regards to the FWC and the Colorado is the tight clearance to the top of the bed rails. You might have to build up a spacer in the bed to assure the proper clearance. That said, the payload is better on the Colorado so that will give you a bit more numberswise to work with but you will still have to plan carefully. The Tacoma AT Habitat looks tantalizingly close to fitting as well and would free up some weight, though you might have to give up some amenities in the process. We have a family of four with two little ones and I keep trying to get my head around a way to use a FWC with out Dmax Colorado.

zuren

Adventurer
As has been mentioned before, payload would be the big concern there. Especially with a diesel, where it's lower than a gas engine. As you know, with a kid (or two), cargo fills up pretty quick, too.
_
Any reason to avoid a full-size gas truck? Something like a V6 F150 or Silverado? That should net you pretty good MPG (mid 20's freeway) and you won't get hit with the diesel tax.

I'm not fully against a full-size truck but my wife is less keen on them. She really hates the new GM and Ford models; claims they look "cheesy" and "Transformer-ish" (no offense to anyone's beautiful new truck here). I've been impressed with how quiet the new Duramax is in the GM trucks. A guy up the road has one and unless I'm looking, it sounds the same as the anyone else's newer passenger car...maybe with a slight diesel burble to the exhaust note.

The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is a consideration but I've read, and met a guy who confirmed, that they have had lots of problems; blown engines, fuel system problems, etc. Have they sorted out all of those issues since the EcoDiesel was introduced?

One interesting thing I noticed is that the payload for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is slightly LESS than the diesel Colorado (1450 lbs. vs. 1480 lbs - splitting hairs but interesting). The lower end of the Ram 1500 tow capacity aligns with the diesel Colorado. I only plan to pull 2000-3000 lbs. max. so these numbers don't worry me much. I also read an article (and compared the specs) where the Colorado is essentially the same size and capability as a 4th Generation Chevy C/K full size truck. It seems that what used to be big, is now "small".

I just wish both the Colorado and the Ram were offered with a manual tranny. From what I can tell, that is/was never the case.

My goal would be a pop-up camper that is really basic. I would not want stoves, fridges, or many other amenities; an insulated box with a couple windows, off the ground, with sleeping and storage would be fine with me.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The FWC she'll trim would probably be wahat you are looking for, you could equip it as you want it to maximize space and keep it light.

malibubts

Adventurer
I'm not fully against a full-size truck but my wife is less keen on them. She really hates the new GM and Ford models; claims they look "cheesy" and "Transformer-ish" (no offense to anyone's beautiful new truck here). I've been impressed with how quiet the new Duramax is in the GM trucks. A guy up the road has one and unless I'm looking, it sounds the same as the anyone else's newer passenger car...maybe with a slight diesel burble to the exhaust note.

The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is a consideration but I've read, and met a guy who confirmed, that they have had lots of problems; blown engines, fuel system problems, etc. Have they sorted out all of those issues since the EcoDiesel was introduced?

One interesting thing I noticed is that the payload for a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is slightly LESS than the diesel Colorado (1450 lbs. vs. 1480 lbs - splitting hairs but interesting). The lower end of the Ram 1500 tow capacity aligns with the diesel Colorado. I only plan to pull 2000-3000 lbs. max. so these numbers don't worry me much. I also read an article (and compared the specs) where the Colorado is essentially the same size and capability as a 4th Generation Chevy C/K full size truck. It seems that what used to be big, is now "small".

I just wish both the Colorado and the Ram were offered with a manual tranny. From what I can tell, that is/was never the case.

My goal would be a pop-up camper that is really basic. I would not want stoves, fridges, or many other amenities; an insulated box with a couple windows, off the ground, with sleeping and storage would be fine with me.

I haven't heard of any issues with the fuel systems. Early on (14) there was a bad batch of oil coolers that failed and some DEF injector issues, but those have been corrected. There are some low end failures; no official numbers from FCA but the consensus seems to be around 1% failure rate, so slightly above average. I don't think failure on these engines is too much a cause for concern. As of yesterday FCA has resubmitted the engine for EPA approval so we may be seeing new ones here shortly.

For what it's worth the Duramax engine was designed by VM Motori from when they were part owners. VM Motori is also the designer and manufacturer of the EcoDiesel.

You're reading correctly. The Rams will all have similar 'low' payloads since they are coil sprung in the rear instead of leaf sprung. The coils will give a better ride under most circumstances, but you do loose payload. And towing 2-3k will hardly put much of a dent in your fuel economy on either the Duramax or the EcoDiesel. I see around 22 MPG average when I tow a 5k boat on the highway.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get a manual transmission in a truck now is to get either a Tacoma or a Ram 3/4 or 1 Ton with the Cummins. Most everyone has phased out the manuals.

Have you considered a Flippac or AT Habitat instead of a slide in? It sounds like those are pretty close to what you want in a camper and may bring down the weight and give you a little more utility.

TwinStick

Explorer
Another thing to consider is frame flex. Some trucks flex wayy more than others. If camper is close fitting & anchored down & frame flex's too much, something will bend or break. I have know guys with older full size trucks that have had this issue as well.

"I'm pretty sure the only way to get a manual transmission in a truck now is to get either a Tacoma or a Ram 3/4 or 1 Ton with the Cummins. Most everyone has phased out the manuals."

This is correct.

rickc

Adventurer
Zuren: Page 209 of the 2016 Colorado users manual (http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/chevrolet/2016-colorado.pdf) states the following: "The vehicle was neither designed nor intended to carry a slide-in type camper. Caution Adding a slide-in camper or similar equipment to the vehicle can damage it, and the repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not install a slide-in camper or similar equipment on the vehicle."

There may be something similar in the Taco manual; I haven't looked.

zuren

Adventurer
Zuren: Page 209 of the 2016 Colorado users manual (http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/chevrolet/2016-colorado.pdf) states the following: "The vehicle was neither designed nor intended to carry a slide-in type camper. Caution Adding a slide-in camper or similar equipment to the vehicle can damage it, and the repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not install a slide-in camper or similar equipment on the vehicle."

There may be something similar in the Taco manual; I haven't looked.

Interesting...

I just found this for a 2016 Tacoma - they talk about campers starting on page 613:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM04005U/pdf/OM04005U.pdf

From what I understand, the Colorado/Canyon have a deeper bed than has been typical over the years. I wonder if this is the reason for the disclaimer; unless you have a spacer underneath on the bed floor, a camper will come to rest on the sides of the bed. Rather than point out a solution to the problem, they decided to CYA instead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online