2 Transfer Cases, Same leak... HELP

tyler_j

Been trying to figure this out for a while. Here is the story.

Transfer Case 1 (242)
My first transfer case has leaked out what I believe is the front output seal. That being said, I have replaced the seal with 2 after market seals, both which continued to allow fluid to leak out and spray the underside of my WJ. I then replaced it with a Mopar seal which also started to leak.

Transfer Case 2 (242)
At this point I gave up on that case, got another with 140k miles and a warranty. I mounted this one up, drove it and it had the same issue. With or without a front drive shaft in. HOWEVER. I did try to un-plug the breather tube. This actually significantly slowed the leak... I then replaced the front seal with another mopar, only to have it to continue leaking. Thought the case could have been building pressure, thus purging the fluild out on the highway.

I now am starting to think the shift selector on the case could be the culprit, but honestly at this point I have no idea. I have tried two different yokes, one used and one brand new, also two cases and it still leaks in the same place.... The jeep is noisier in 4x4 full time, but I figured this was normal due to more moving parts.

I would appreciate any type of input, Thanks! Photos are taken after I wiped it down with a rag. Will post wet photos after work tomorrow.

20170518_203915.jpg20170518_203905.jpg20170518_203911.jpg

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
It looks like you have the wrong yoke on the case. Usually the front yoke has a dust flange that rides on the front lip you can see on your seal.

Also, these yokes will leak around the splines. There is a little splined rubber washer that fits in there to keep it from leaking. I have also used RTV in the past as a substitute for the washer.

front output yoke.jpg

You can see the dust shield on this yoke.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Correction: Looking at an exploded view of the tcase I do not see the Rubber Washer as one of the parts. It definitely shows the dust flange, however.

tyler_j

I have an orginal yoke I may try, this is an aftermarket that I got from a local shop. Has all the same specs, just no dust flange.

Thanks for the response

tyler_j

There is no atf on the inside of the yoke, which leads me to think the rubber washer in there is working fine.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
how much fluid are you replacing? is the fluid being forced in under pressure from the transmission? your actual "leak" could be there.

it is also possible that your surface finish on the yoke is trashed.

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
Id look up the seal P/N, make sure it corresponds with the yoke diameter. Its possible it needs the press on dust flange to keep the seal from being hammered and also to create the proper seal dimension. I would also make sure the yoke isn't chewing up the seal. typically the seal surface is machined well away from the seal area for clearance, in your case, it does not look that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94