New shocks for 07 Avalanche

bigskypylot

Explorer
Posting for a friend. He has a 2007 Avalanche that's in need of new shocks. He does some mild stuff but mostly highway with forest roads and some off road when he goes gold prospecting or out taking photos in the western half of Wyoming. I mentioned Bilsteins would probably be the best bang for the buck as he doesn't want anything crazy such as some of us go with lol He wouldn't mind a small lift also. As for tires, he's looking at end of summer. I mentioned BFG KO2. Please feel free to comment as I don't know much of what is available and a good fit/buy for that model/year truck.

Thanks in advance!

BSP

rayra

Expedition Leader
Try contacting Stryder106, he's got an '02 Avalanche, but he's been upgrading shocks and put on GMT900 front brakes, so he probably has a good idea what the options are.

Stryder106

Explorer
Howdy. Have your friend take a look at the Eibach Pro Truck Sport shocks. They are about the same price as the Bilsteins but were specifically designed for Avalanches and offroad performance. My Av was the project vehicle - so I provided all of the info and we had to have dyno'd the initial shocks 50 times before they were happy with the performance. The shocks worked extremely well on my Av - we just did a big Death Valley trip and while others were struggling along at 15-20 mph in the rough washboard - I was sailing along at 60mph.
//
Having said that, actually just changed over to some custom Fox shocks and Hummer springs as I'm adding a lot of weight and going longer distances. So, went with a Fox 2.0 outer, but with 2.5 inner and a 7/8" shaft, custom valving and bigger external adjustable reservoir/bypass. Seriously slick - but a much higher price point.
//
Pic with the 35"s, leveled, and the Eibach shocks
New Tires 7.jpg
//
For brakes - definitely look at upgrading - I now have the Power Stop Z36 Severe Duty kit for the GMT 900 (1" bigger) and it makes a huge difference. Moreover, learn how to disconnect the ABS - that makes an even bigger difference.
//
For tires - have him check out the General Tire Grabber x3. This is a seriously bad to the bone tire. I've had it in everything and it grips like crazy, and is relatively quiet on the highway. I will be buying these again. I had 33" on mine and used CST keys to level my front end (his 07 will have front coils rather than T-Bars - I'm jealous). But, leveling, he should be able to run a 33" without issue as long as he runs a 0 offset wheel. When I went to the 35" tires - everyone told me I had to do a 6.5" lift - I didn't want that - so I trimmed my fenderwells and part of the firewall valance - and the 35"s fit like a charm - no rubbing at all.
//
One of the best things your friend can do is to invest in some Rare Parts 1.5" tie rods. The dinky 1/2" tie rods from GM are a serious weakpoint. Adding bigger tires and going into the dirt will prove that out pretty quickly.

Ping me with any questions.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Awesome. Thanks! I'll get him to join in on the thread if he has any specific questions. Again, thanks for your help guys!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Bigsky why not post some before and after pics of your rig with shock install? That way we can all follow your progress. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94