Space gained in a flatbed camper vs. slide-in?

zuren

Adventurer
I have not spent much time in slide-in or flatbed truck campers. Does the flatbed design gain you a large amount of floor space?

The wife and I are beginning to talk about our 1-2 year vehicle plan and I think we are leaning heavily toward eliminating 2 vehicles (my car and the van) that would be replaced by a mid- or full-size 4x4 truck. If that happens, I would want a rather basic truck camper to replace and expand the camping capability of the van. My want is to sleep 2 adults and up to 2 kids, probably with bunks on each side of the walkway that fold up, or could be removed, when not needed.

It looks like ATC offers a shell flatbed camper but I would have to drive from MI to CA to get it, or pay nearly $3000 to have it shipped. FWC has dealers but it doesn't look like they offer a shell version of their flatbed model. Is this accurate? Phoenix seems to be fully custom so I'm guessing I could get what I want and visit a buddy in the area.

Any truck I buy will most likely have a standard bed. I have no idea what the trouble and cost to convert to a flatbed would be (even if I sold the bed) and if it is worth the trouble.

Thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Two big benefits I like to share are the side entrance and the open floor plan.

The side entrance is of huge benefit for foul weather travelers and full-timers.
When the door is on the side, it simply doesnt collect the amount of junk that a traditional rear door does.

As for floor space, a side entrance essentially allows you to split the living space up, and you eliminate the "bowling alley" feel of a traditional rear door setup.
Floor space is increased dramatically, the need to make the dinette "convertible" is eliminated, and the space is simply more livable.

Only real catch is that many places now regulate flatbed pickups differently than a standard bed.
I highly advise pushing to a flatbed model, but at the same time encourage you to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier