Sleeping pad for truck bed?

sternebrau

I just ordered a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231608343125

My wife and I sleep in the roof top tent, and the kids were previously on a 2.5" memory foam mattress topper on the sleeping platform inside the cap. The mattress topper is cumbersome and makes loading/unloading gear difficult (plus, it'll be nice to double up the rtt's mattress!). These trifold pads are lightweight and can be easily folded and stowed. Best of all - the pads can be used outside the truck - tents, hotels, sleep overs, etc.

The trifolds are the correct width at 27" for the "single", but they're a couple inches too long. I am hoping to just be able to squeeze the extra inches out of them. I'll try to follow up here after they arrive next Monday.

plh

Explorer
The best thing by far is to get something known as a truck mattress. Such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Dre...97&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=truck+mattress&psc=1

I inquired with the seller about the foam density (not the thin memory foam layer) on these and they replied with 1.4 lbs which means it is a soft rating. These types of foam generally don't last long and compress and stay compressed. I would recommend something more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3H9XQI

This is about a 2.4 lb foam density and provides a more firm base that doesn't compress as easily. Should provide much better life. You would need to provide your own cover however.

Last edited:

Chattanooga6.7

Any Thermarest sleeping pad I've ever used has been exeptionally comfortable and will keep you completely off the ground even if you sleep on your side despite how "thin" it appears. I picked up a Trail Scout - Large for my Dodge 2500 6.5 foot bed, it's 25 inches wide as opposed to the universal 20 inch wide sleeping pad and right at 75 inches. There are Small, Medium and Regular pads that are all shorter depending on your height and 20 inches wide. I also pack this in my backpack to camp with if you're looking for versatility.

If you're deadset on the super thick pad, the Exped MegaMat is unbelievably comfortable in my opinion but has a premium price to go with it. It's about 4 inches thick.

I've found Thermarest and other brand pads at most outdoor outlet stores hung up for you to try out (REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc)

sternebrau

The new pads arrived today way faster than I expected them to. They're a perfect fit! Well, maybe about 1" too long, but closing the tailgate squishes them down pretty well and makes for a snug fit. This setup is much more manageable than the floppy mattress topper:

jhcfYdL.jpg

D4zDZn1.jpg

i0R41CQ.jpg

Hq6S9UA.jpg

I just ordered a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231608343125

My wife and I sleep in the roof top tent, and the kids were previously on a 2.5" memory foam mattress topper on the sleeping platform inside the cap. The mattress topper is cumbersome and makes loading/unloading gear difficult (plus, it'll be nice to double up the rtt's mattress!). These trifold pads are lightweight and can be easily folded and stowed. Best of all - the pads can be used outside the truck - tents, hotels, sleep overs, etc.

The trifolds are the correct width at 27" for the "single", but they're a couple inches too long. I am hoping to just be able to squeeze the extra inches out of them. I'll try to follow up here after they arrive next Monday.

malibubts

Adventurer
The new pads arrived today way faster than I expected them to. They're a perfect fit! Well, maybe about 1" too long, but closing the tailgate squishes them down pretty well and makes for a snug fit. This setup is much more manageable than the floppy mattress topper:

jhcfYdL.jpg

D4zDZn1.jpg

i0R41CQ.jpg

Hq6S9UA.jpg
I currently have a Klymit mat for the back but it isn't the best and I'm looking for something new. Really like how these can fold up and sort of stow away.

Have you spent a night in there yet? How are you liking them? At 4 inches I'm a little worried about head room under the cap. Looking at my Klymit mat though it looks like it'd only be another inch taller though.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

sternebrau

I currently have a Klymit mat for the back but it isn't the best and I'm looking for something new. Really like how these can fold up and sort of stow away.

Have you spent a night in there yet? How are you liking them? At 4 inches I'm a little worried about head room under the cap. Looking at my Klymit mat though it looks like it'd only be another inch taller though.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

My kids will be sleeping in there for the first time tonight in Great Basin NP area. I'll let you know how it goes!

sternebrau

So far so good! The kids slept great on the folding pads. No complaints so far. The kids (10 and 6) used them once in a hotel in Vegas and two nights on the sleeping platform near Great Basin NP.

malibubts

Adventurer
So far so good! The kids slept great on the folding pads. No complaints so far. The kids (10 and 6) used them once in a hotel in Vegas and two nights on the sleeping platform near Great Basin NP.

Good news, think these might be up next on the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94