Sleeping pad for truck bed?

djm68

Observer
Needs some input on sleeping pad solution for the bed of my 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the 6' long bed. I am using raised platform that sits above the bed of the truck. I am looking for something 30" wide and about 4" thick; the bed of the truck is just under 74", so I need something that is 73" or shorter or can be folded.

This looks super comfy and is a full 4" thick, but I am not sure about having something that is inflatable, plus at 77" it is too long for the bed and it is unclear if an air system will tolerate being folded or squished up?

https://www.rei.com/product/113719/exped-megamat-10-sleeping-pad

Other options is the open cell foam pad, it is quite a bit less thick at only 2.5", but is exactly the right length for the bed of the truck:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...04484780/cabelas-deluxe-camp-beds/2224288.uts

Or perhaps this:
https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-co-op-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

Thoughts?

Thanks,
DJM

Zemiller

I'm in the same boat. In fact, I used that same pad in the bed of my Tacoma on a road trip from N Carolina back to Oregon just recently. It's too long for the truck bed but very comfy. If I had the room I'd make it work. As is I just closed the tailgate and let it fold a bit. No issues so far but with the talilgate closed and the mattress folding up I lose headroom and I'm just tall enough for that to be uncomfortable.

I think a chunk of memory foam is what I'm trying next. About $35 on Amazon for a 3" thick piece 74" long iirc.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Bang for your comfort buck that REI pad is going to be pretty nice. I was recently able to pick up a Megamat from the REI outlet/garage with a coupon recently but I haven't used it yet don't know how squishing it up would work. Keep in mind REI has the sale about to happen (or maybe it started today) with I think 20% off one regular and one Garage item.

Another option would be rafting pads. They are heavier and more durable than your typical sleeping pad but since you are in the back of the truck weight won't be an issue. A company out of NM, Jack's Plastics, makes a Paco Pad and one is 4" thick. They are self inflating and you can sleep with the valve open or closed. With Jack's you can call them up and have them make a pad to your dimensions is mainly why I mention them. If you want a custom fit. They aren't cheap though but go on sale occasionally.

A cheaper version is the Aire Landing Pad. 3" thick and the bigger one is 30" wide. Easy thing you could do there is even though it's 78" long, you could cut the bottom to length and re-glue it closed. One or two part PVC adhesive would do the trick. I would be an easy project.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Bedrug?

I had this in both of my previous Tacomas. It's simple enough to clean and maintain. You can sleep on it with nothing else under you, or add something more if needed (Like a Thermarest Z Lite Sol pad. I prefer foam to inflatables.) I even have some of the left overs of the Bedrug that I've cut down to fit my Wrangler's platform floor. It's nice on the feet and knees too.

Bedrug BMX00D Universal 66x98 Truck Bed Mat (Cut to fit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CSP7L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lX1hzbMGHD8CZ

Attachments

• IMG_6669.jpg
    IMG_6669.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I use, a Nemo pad paired with mezo loft sleeping bag and i have an oilskin canvas bedroll it goes inside. Use it on the back of my flatbed. works awesome.

The oilskin protects it from rocks, fire, etc.

Kcdude

Adventurer
I use, a Nemo pad paired with mezo loft sleeping bag and i have an oilskin canvas bedroll it goes inside. Use it on the back of my flatbed. works awesome.

The oilskin protects it from rocks, fire, etc.
using a Mezzo loft bag also but with an Exped Megamat....tight fit but it works and is a super nice setup. Bummer that it is 78" long for your application.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
I am a bit leery of something that might puncture.

Both the Megamat and the REI might puncture since they are both "self-inflating" pads. That said, I can say that the REI pad is very tough. It feels more puncture resistant than the Exped. We have both and would wholeheartedly recommend either. I think the REI is definitely the better value and the 72" pad almost exactly meets your requirements. The Exped is slightly more comfortable, but is more work to inflate/deflate, costs a little more and I think that while it would bend at the end, it wouldn't make a right angle turn. For what it's worth, we have years on the REI mattresses and they've never had a problem and are very comfortable and never fallen victim to being walked all over by a couple Dobermans:D

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I like my Klymit pads, specifically the insulated Static V-Luxe, they have a non-insulated version too. The "luxe" is wider and longer, think it may be thicker too.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Where did you find the oilskin canvas bedroll?

Thanks,
DJM

Most canvas/outfitter shops will make them for you. Ebay, ETSY, google bedroll for sale. I got mine from a Guy in Bend Oregon, he does good work. They have gone up in price, but he will make anything. Has an ebay store, turn around for me was a week.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bedrolls-Sl...bag-and-pad-Sleep-dry-and-secure/150569327206

He....is a little out there. However most outfitters are. ( I come from a family of them) I wanted something to protect the nemo cosmo pad and sleeping bag. That NEMo gear is awesome, but you pay a premium. Ive had good luck with the set up. I can dig a pic up if you'd like to see. Weather im horseback, rafting, or on the back of my truck its served me well. It is not light, and has a lot of canvas- I have zippers on both sides of mine. The only thing I would change is maybe longer ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier