Toyota VVTi Engine

MexPack

Can anyone comment on the durability of the Toyota VVTi engine? In research, I've read about an issue of oil consumption.

Is it difficult to service a 2011+ VVTi in S. America. Gracias

tacollie

Glamper
I run 7500 miles between oil changes on all 3 4.0 I have had over the years. Never have to add any oil even at 100k+ miles.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My 1GR-FE doesn't consume much oil, 1/4 of a quart in 5,000 miles, which is about what my 22R-E before used. I'm running 5W-30 Mobil1 synthetic. You will hear about the engine consuming excessive oil sometimes and it seems that certain brands and viscosities will cause it. Not sure there's any widespread issue so if it happens you need to change something, brand, weight, type, etc.

I don't know if it's difficult to service them in South America but I suspect that I'd rather have a 1GR-FE than something even newer. I'd have to think at this point having *some* technology in your engine is getting more common everywhere. Toyota stopped producing ultra simple mechanical diesels and carbureted gasoline engines a while ago now so VVTi and D-4D aren't as rare anymore.

Clutch

<---Pass
Looks like there is good dealer network in South American. Some countries sell the Tacoma right along side the HiLux, which you can get both with the 2.7 4 Cylinder.

http://www.toyota-global.com/select_region/

Seeing that you're in Mexico, to my knowledge you can only get the petrol engines in trucks sold in Mexico, and not the diesels. http://www.toyotahilux.com.mx/especificaciones/doble

Guessing you shouldn't have a problem getting it serviced. If you buy a new one, shouldn't have to touch it for long time.

MexPack

I appreciate the replies! Yes, in Mexico I can only get the Hilux in 4x2 petrol. Such a tease

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
The 1GR 4.0L engine has been proven to be extremely reliable.

The 2TR 2.7L has also been proven relaible.

I've seen a bunch of them go over 300.000km with no trouble. I've also seen quite a few reaching half a million km without much trouble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94