Looking at a 93

jhill15

Explorer
I touched base with the guy selling it to make sure he still had it...he does, but I wanted to ask him more about the axle and wheel bearing. He says that he really doesn't think it's the Birfield knuckle and that the hub turns fine, and that he really thinks it's the wheel bearing. He also told me that it's drivable around the yard but not on the road...

What else could be going on with this thing? Has Anyone had any similar situations?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

onemanarmy

Explorer
There are wheel bearings and races inside the hub, easily replaceable. Some of the knuckle rebuild kits come with new bearings. Go ahead and rebuild both sides (driver and passenger) while you're at it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
Should I just do the bearings or the bearings and the knuckles? I watched a couple youtube vids on repairing the knuckle and it looks pretty intense. If I find that I can't do it it myself what Does it normally cost to have it done?

Thebus

Observer
i think that is a good pass...just remember these trucks are not cheap. i had an 2007 FJ and i think i sunk more money into my 80 than my FJ was worth..granted i won't let my 80 go and if i did i'd buy another one. def just a parts truck at $800

drnlsf

I have a '97 and just did front and rear axle job. Spent $395 just for parts; grease, diff fluids, turn rotors was extra. Parts just for the front knuckle job and all bearings/races is $200 thru cruiser outfitters. Just the front is all day job. But is good to have it done.

jhill15

Explorer
i think that is a good pass...just remember these trucks are not cheap. i had an 2007 FJ and i think i sunk more money into my 80 than my FJ was worth..granted i won't let my 80 go and if i did i'd buy another one. def just a parts truck at $800
Yeah I think it was too. I want a cheap awesome trail/winter rig so bad that i almost bought that it. I could see myself sinking more money into it than finding one in descent shape out of the box.
I have a '97 and just did front and rear axle job. Spent $395 just for parts; grease, diff fluids, turn rotors was extra. Parts just for the front knuckle job and all bearings/races is $200 thru cruiser outfitters. Just the front is all day job. But is good to have it done.
That's not too bad. I was more scared that I would get into the front axle and need the bearing kit, new hubs, brakes, suspension etc.. And That's probably where I would spend all my money and then my luck not have a road worthy truck lol.

Thanks guys for all your help!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles