Double Expedition trailer build.

rlgrace2011

Observer
So as it was the hubs didn't fit in the rims. After doing some research and looking into what other builds did, we decided to go with 2 inch spacers. These are lug centric spacers that pushed our wheels out to the desired spot.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
So it all came to an abrupt halt for a week or so. My dad had some work done on his eyes and wasn't able to lift much or do any welding for a couple weeks. Finally over the weekend (two of the most humid days I can remember) we got the trailers up and sitting on their own rims and tires for the first time. For sure would have benefit from having an impact wrench but we managed without.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Turns out that the trailer is about 3-5 inches wider than the Jeep currently sits on stock width tires. With the spacers there is plenty of room between what will be the wall and tire. The trailer sits now at 60 inches wide, and 14 feet long. The enclosed portion will be 8ft by 5 feet. It should accommodate my family of 3 just fine.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Right now I don't think there is a need to do a spring over conversion. 22 inches of clearance will work for 99% of what we are planning on using them for. Once we lift the rigs up taller we can always come back in with new perches and change the orientation of the axle.

IMG_0037.jpg

It was very pleasing to see both of them lined out and sitting on their own tires. Now its time to get them outside and the front platform welded on.
IMG_0040.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Now that we got the trailers finally built up to our likings it was time to haul them out and break out the big torch. The front of our trailers is floored with 1 inch expanded metal. The strength to weight ration is one we really liked. The expanded metal maybe only add about 10 lbs to the overall weight of the trailer.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Eventually the rack will house the battery box of some sort, as well as a railing around to help hold in things such as firewood.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Alright so axles, tire mounting, and front racks took up pretty much most of our Saturday. When we got to work in the morning I was able to lay down about 1/2 inch of weld before I ran out of wire. We ended up waiting about 2 and a half hours for my wife to get home with a new roll. Sunday brought some big change to the project.

To start we broke out some ply wood to get a marking on how it would sit up against our expanded metal.
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

We decided to go with 1 inch square tubing for our internal frame. The weight to strength ratio was right and when braced correctly it'll be as strong as it would ever need to be. After work Friday I went over to our local metal mart and picked up about 200 feet of pre painted 1x1 tubing.

IMG_0041.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Sunday Funday= time to break out the chop saw. Using a piece of ply that was laying around we drew up our template so that we could end up with the right angles on our frame.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Got both sides welded up and then put on at the right distances in. We decided to use 3/4 inch ply for the floor, and 5/8th for the walls. The original plan was to use 3/4 for the walls as well but the 5/8th allows us to cut down on some weight and its plenty rigid. Using two pieces of 5/8 that we had we used them as a guide to properly space the frame from the edges of the actual trailer frame.

IMG_0049.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Welding up the 1 inch is pretty straight forward. In order to square everything up we measured the base between the two sides and then pushed and pulled the frame to accommodate the proper length support braces.

IMG_0050.jpg

The front angle will be where we put some kind of star gazer window. When laying down it inside you will be able to look straight up through the angled window.

IMG_0051.jpg

The trailer sits at a max height of 4 feet tall from the frame up. This will allow me to put a roof rack on them both with an ARB awning of sorts and it will still be under the overall height of my jeep.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

(Yes that is an elk hanging in our shop)

rlgrace2011

Observer
One trailer frame up, squared, and completed. More bracing will be added when I get my windows and doors in. The next frame will be up tomorrow. Doors coming in Monday and my 3 speed Fantastic-Fan will be here Friday. More updates to come, feel free to leave some feedback!

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

MGTexas

Looking good Ryan. This project is moving along. Windows and doors next. We are looking at getting some windows from some camper shells. Hope we find the right ones.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Got the initial frame set up for the second trailer. Decided to put down some 4 inch perlin where the two floor boards will meet. Only one put in and 3 more to go.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Went to the hardware store today to pick up some ply for the sides and floor. 3/4 inch for the floor, at 60 inches wide they will be lateral to the trailer itself and notched for all the vertical support.

We went with 5/8th for the wall pieces. Probably overkill but I don't want them to bow out at all.

IMG_0083.jpg

Also in today from amazon were our manual lift 3 speed Fantastic-Fans to put into the roof.

IMG_0084.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Saturday and Sunday were big days for our first trailer. We decided to focus and get one enclosed before we catch the second trailer up. My wife and I want ours enclosed and weatherproof so that we can take it at the end of July on part of the NMBDR. So we finished getting the galley supports put in to designate where the foot wall as well as the galley wall will be. We got the ply on and and cut for the walls, notched and cut the floor, painted to trailer frame.

It was really nice to see the profile of the trailer start to take shape. Doors come in today and we had some more building yesterday I will post up as well. Currently everything is just clamped on so to ensure fit before we permanently attach them this week.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
As well as with the last post Saturday brought a lot of movement forward for the first trailer. We got the floor coated with several coats of oil based paints and set to dry.

IMG_0063.jpg

Walls were fully cut and labeled so that we could install a door on the off road side and a window on the road side. I have had larger horse trailers with doors on both sides. Having the entry door on the curb side has always been better for if you need to grab something out while sitting on the shoulder.

IMG_0064.jpg

All the roof bracing done. We went with double bars spaced so a 1x4 can fit in as a way to seal the seam of our two pieces of ply on the roof.

IMG_0065.jpg

Got my Fantastic-Fan framed up and mocked in to make sure of proper fit.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
So up to this point the building of the trailer and the basic frame portions was getting a little old. I wanted to see some real progress but I knew it wasn't going to happen until we put some exterior up on the sides.

So I went ahead and got some help to drag up the camper shell I was stealing my windows from. Found it on marketplace for 50 bucks. Paint is in bad shape but it had all the glass and keys. So I took out the windows and we got to work on installing one onto my trailer and leaving the other for later when we put it on my parents.

IMG_0067.jpg

With no template to really work with we got some basic measurements and went to freehand our cuts. Its a 43 inch full length window that flips up and open. Ill deal with the need for a screen later but I think it turned out really well.

IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg

Got the window in for the time being to see what it looked like. Spent a little time getting the entire thing framed in. Going with the 1x1 metal tubing has been super easy to work with and the entire frame and all the bracing has only tacked on about 70lbs to the trailer.

IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg

Here you can see the interior framing of the window so I don't get any flex when on the trail.
IMG_0077.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94