Double Expedition trailer build.

rlgrace2011

Observer
So its been a few days since I last posted anything up. We live in the middle of no where and so our internet has restrictions which were exceeded by updating my iPhone. We have made a lot of progress and are currently fully enclosed on both trailers. Leave some feedback, let me know what you think!

IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

So we got both sides onto trailer 1 with the rear galley frame installed and level. We got the doors from vintage technologies and they fit right in and had good shipping times.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Sides and front wall fully installed and not coming back off. The rear galley is a little over 2 feet deep and will end up with a false floor for the rear foot for our electrical brain of the trailer.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Framed up for our fantastic fan.

IMG_0097.jpg

We went with 3/8th inch ply for the foot wall and the rear galley door. Saved on weight and was plenty strong.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

CyprusTM

Might be a dumb question, but what did you secure the ply to the metal frame? :D Gathering info for my trailer i want to build this summer. Thanks

rlgrace2011

Observer
CyprusTM:

I used self tapping metal screws and heavy duty construction liquid nails. Put the liquid nail on essentially every contact point between the two and then went with some lattice work of screws. I will post up some pictures of the sizes and types of screws when I get them to my iCloud. Where the ply overlapped one another like on the edges I used the air driven nail gun to put in just a little extra "hold."

I will say that pre drilling with a small drill bit took a lot of strain off of me rather than just trying to muscle the screws through both the wood and metal.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I am enjoying this build very much. Straight forward progress! Are you going to lay in some insulation? And what will be the outer coating?

Great work!

rlgrace2011

Observer
Might be a dumb question, but what did you secure the ply to the metal frame? :D Gathering info for my trailer i want to build this summer. Thanks

IMG_0115.jpg

This is what I used to attach the wood to the metal. Pre-drilling came in at the end. I should have been doing that the entire time.

rlgrace2011

Observer
I am enjoying this build very much. Straight forward progress! Are you going to lay in some insulation? And what will be the outer coating?

Great work!

Thanks! I am going to insulate the walls and ceiling of the cabin with 3/4 inch foam insulation board. I had seen several builds where people said it really wasn't needed to insulate but we figured we were hauling the empty space anyways so we might as well fill it. I am going to try my hand at poor mans fiberglassing for the outside. If that falls through I will skin it with aluminum.

rlgrace2011

Observer
I didn't get any close up pictures of it before we got the tops on. I predrilled the frame everywhere that I figured i would need to run wire and then some.
IMG_0109.jpg

Really starting to come together!
IMG_0110.jpg

Back shelf is in, the front half of it is a full length hatch to the storage below. The plan is to run an AGM battery and full set up that gets tucked away nicely. The plan (maybe not right now) is to integrate solar on the front slant
IMG_0111.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
While it looks like we only have one trailer going, it actually is a game of catch up that alternates between trailers. We build on one when we are both home to make decisions, and then since I am off for the summer I spend the next day or two to bring the second trailer up to par. They are really starting to come together.
IMG_0112.jpg

Hardest part of the build was to get the angled cuts. Since neither trailer is "perfect", the angled cuts were not exactly identical. But they are all closed in!
IMG_0113.jpg

Working on the lower back wall that encloses the extra storage space.
IMG_0106.jpg

Finished closing it in. put a 1x4 behind the seam and then will cover it with the fiberglassing so it will end up sealed no problem. I also plan on using Pella 3 inch flashing tape to seal all of the edges before I put on the exterior skin.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Interior shot. Really turned out bigger than anticipated! Interior walls will go in next week!
IMG_0116.jpg

Mounted a removable 3500# jack on the front.
IMG_0117.jpg

Currently we went with the 2 inch typical ball coupler. In the long run we want to go with a max coupler or a lock and roll hitch, but this will work for the time being for sure.
IMG_0118.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
I got to end my first fathers day with our first test pull of the trailers. The thing pulled great! Very straight and didn't bounce around too much. Sitting up on the 3500# springs and full size tires meant we had our concerns about how much it would bounce around. Before we pulled it, we dropped the tire pressure down to about 28 and it ended up pulling really easily.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

The trailer really looks a lot smaller behind the Jeep and will even more after we throw on the 2.5 inch Terraflex suspensions that came in this week. We also decided that the tongue was too long and so I shortened them both. Tomorrow I will post some videos of our first off-road test and of our fenders that I'm am currently building.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz