Double Expedition trailer build.

rlgrace2011

Observer
To add a little protection, a step, and a more complete look I went ahead and installed rear bumpers onto both trailers. They are 11ga square tubing with a 1.5 inch support from the frame. They turned out exceptionally strong, and are simple yet give that complete look.
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg

2.5 inch Teraflex lift lifted the front of the trailer up just as we planed!
IMG_0170.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Earlier this week I got the last portion of the ceiling insulated and installed. Everything will be trimmed out when it is all said and done but we are trying to get it road worthy for a first trip up the NMBDR.
IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg

Took a little bit of trimming to the rear storage shelf but it sits flat now.
IMG_0176.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
So its been a few days since I posted. Quite a bit has happened since! So the main goal right now is to get our trailer (will be red) ready for its maiden voyage on the NMBDR and leave next week on the 27th. To catch up here are some pictures.

So after getting the rear galley/storage to properly sit flat and seal tightly, my wife and I installed the removable foam flooring. I went this route due to cost, weight and the safe factor for my daughter. We will be putting a mattress (foam topper) over top of it anyways.

IMG_0179.JPG

To show my wife how bright it really was inside, I hauled it down to our house from the shop to switch the lights on and it sure was bright enough!
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG

rlgrace2011

Observer
So I have been stealing my parents coleman for a while now when I needed it so they got my wife and I one for our anniversary and we will put it to go use!
IMG_0185.jpg

While they were gone on their trip I cut and installed their rear door to try and keep both trailers within a couple days of one another work wise.
IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
So the much anticipated fender fabrication for my trailer. I built two for my parents trailer from scratch but wanted a little different look on mine.

Enter jeep style northern tool fenders. They weren't wide enough to allow me to step up in tires later on so I cut the welds on the back and stretched them out about 6 more inches to where I wanted them. I would have liked another inch or two but it worked out well.

The length was too long down the sides and I didn't like the look.
IMG_0200.jpg

So I cut about 6 inches off each side and temp mounted them to get some opinions and pictures.
IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

After it was decided that we liked them I wanted to get a solid way for them to mount that would allow me to stand on them if needed as well as be protected from an animal or something of that nature.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Capped and painted
IMG_0216.jpg

ill finish out with a nice rounded edge in the end to ensure no cuts happen from this area.
IMG_0214.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Mounting lights in the rear of the trailer was next on deck. Being a one shot type of deal, I cut a piece of scrap to get a proper size. Just used a jig saw and a little patience. I got both trailers done in the same day.

IMG_0219.jpg
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
So for exterior coating we went with Monstaliner and I could be more happy. I called and asked tons of questions and ended up getting their epoxy primer as well. Started with some water seal to fill the pores of the wood followed by the silver aluminum paint. This stuff sticks! I don't know if I have ever seen such a seriously permanent paint! (wear a mask or respirator!)

IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg

While you only see one, it took about an hour but we got both painted at the same time.

IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg

Permanent install of doors and windows. Monstaliner next!

rlgrace2011

Observer
The next day was exceptionally long. I had wanted to do the first coat on one trailer then the other and by the time we finished the first coat on the second trailer we could go back and do the second coat etc. Monstaliner sent me the wrong red color so we had to wait on UPS to get here in the afternoon. So we did a coat, waited two hours and did another. Then we waited 4 hours before UPS showed up.
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

Here is the desert sand or (tactical tan). Color turned out great, and its gonna look real sharp behind my parents black rubicon. Still needs fenders, and to have the frame repainted black.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Finished both coats on both trailers pretty late last night so here are the first photos.
IMG_0223.jpg

Got the lights installed, doors and windows really sealed, and fenders on and permanently mounted.
IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Colors turned out great and seems like its going to be really tough!
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg

Exhausted, but the color match is probably as close as it will get without custom colors.
IMG_0198.jpg

The door will be black in the end, but we took it out for a 50-60 mile run for the first time! Pulled GREAT!
IMG_0199.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
It has been a while since I have put any updates up. We took our red rig out for its true maiden voyage the last week of July. Took it over 1000 miles and it ran perfect. We did the first two parts of the NMBDR during the rainy season. Plenty of pictures and update to come in the next couple days

gwolff

Observer
I really like your idea of laying out the frame on the floor in tape first. I'm going to have to file that technique away for future projects. I agree that if circumstances allowed it would be ideal to build one, then the other, but as an impatient person I understand your motivation. At the very least, you could have done each step first on your parents, then on yours, so that way you had practice when you do yours and it'll be better. Or maybe the other way around? :):) They look awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94