Double Expedition trailer build.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Ok so lets start with a couple things right off the bat. Yes, I know my spelling is lacking at times, yes I teach future generations (but not english or grammar so don't worry), and yes virtually everything will be built in house based on things that I have seen and liked the concept. If that bothers you then please stop reading now.

We recently got into two jeep JKUs over the past year. My parents got a used 15 Rubi and my wife and I got a 15 Sport (perfect family friendly car a month after our first born) We wanted to get into camping again but in Texas its just so freaking hot in the summer that its pretty well impossible to camp with a 10 month old. So we set out looking for ideas on an off road trailer that could be pulled behind the jeep as well as the big tow rigs if needed.

Pictures to come!

Last edited:

rlgrace2011

Observer
Picture of the two jeeps we are going to use with our adventure trailers.

IMG_0022.jpg

First step was to tape off the floor in the shop

IMG_0015.jpg

To scale gave us an idea of how much metal the frame would take as well as the sizes for the cabin and rear galley.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Day one of actual work, and we got both frames cut and mocked up to be welded together. Currently we are looking at 8 feet of sleeping/galley, a foot of storage and a rack on the front to hold future inverters and deep cycle batteries.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

So we decided to go heavy on the 2 inch square tubing to ensure that its got plenty of strength when in tow. After looking at numerous other build threads it only seemed logical to build a full length tongue so that I have no issues with it breaking free like I have seen with others. Currently the trailer is sitting at 60 inches wide and a total of 14 feet in length.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Looks fun. I will say that I have always learned something from a build so the next one is better. Rather than build both at the same time, may want to build one, then do the next.

Looks like you have a nice shop. Can tell by the dress code you are in Texas.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Looks fun. I will say that I have always learned something from a build so the next one is better. Rather than build both at the same time, may want to build one, then do the next.

Looks like you have a nice shop. Can tell by the dress code you are in Texas.

The original plan was to build two of them but do one at a time. Then it was brought up that since one is my parents and one is mine and the wifes, that we wouldn't all get to go out and explore together for quite sometime.

Yeah that is the Texas dress code for doing some welding! haha We are in central Texas so it never really gets cold enough to need coveralls for anything else.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Got the cross bar distances decided on and welded into trailer number 1. Looking back at this point I probably would have used the 11ga tubing for the exterior of the frame and then 20ga purlin for the cross members to cut down on some weight.

IMG_0001.jpg

Trailer number 2 is coming along nicely just didn't have enough time to get it all set and welded into place.

IMG_0002.jpg

So the angled support beams will end up being covered in expanded metal to allow for on board storage. The double cross beams in the picture are a foot apart. The front wall of the sleeping compartment will be at the second one back.

IMG_0003.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
Had the factory take off tires from when we bought the jeep sitting in the attic so I figured they would work till tire upgrade time came. When thinking about rims for the trailer it was decided that we would swap the factory silvers for the Hardrock edition rims. That left us to get the all original parts remounted and back in the shop.

IMG_0009.jpg

Mocking up tire placement.

IMG_0007.jpg

I have pulled a lot of trailers over the years, mostly gooseneck and pretty large, so trying to figure tire placement is not the easiest on such a small trailer. I am leaning towards the further back placement because I'm thinking of adding another foot to the back with a high departure angle. Any input would be great.

IMG_0008.jpg

Silverhorse

Adventurer
wondering the same myself, seems axle location would be critical for an off-road trailer. you dont want the underside rubbing on every obstacle...

rlgrace2011

Observer
wondering the same myself, seems axle location would be critical for an off-road trailer. you dont want the underside rubbing on every obstacle...

Agreed. I am not planning on doing anything extreme while hauling this but I would like it to be able to make it across the various states BDRs. I am thinking the tire that is slightly further forward at this point. I decided not to do a high departure angle. and instead slant the top side of the back a little bit to give it a unique line.

rlgrace2011

Observer
All welded up on one side, now to flip them over and get at the other. Welding the new metal sure is easier than trying to piece together all the other scrap or oilfield pipe we normally have laying around.

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg

rlgrace2011

Observer
IMG_0013.jpg

Storms come rollin in so the fab shop had to be shut down to get all the vehicles under cover. Turned out to not have any hail in it but around here in the spring you can never be too careful.

rlgrace2011

Observer
Well after almost two weeks of waiting and dealing with trailer parts stores my axles have finally arrived! Two 5 on 5 Dexter 3500lb axles. I ordered them from a place out in Arizona, only to talk to that guy and find out that he buys them from Houston. I figured that would mean shipping would be a breeze but I couldn't have been more wrong. They sent my axles out to him in Arizona where they were picked up and sent on to somewhere else. After talking to him they sent me a whole new set up of the two axles.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Slight oversight on my part set me back a few days. Tried to mount my tires and realized I needed spacers to get over the hub size so they should be in tomorrow. and I can get everything mounted up.

Today in my down time I was working on sourcing my windows. I quickly came to find out that Ebay is a rip off on the shipping and windows are damn expensive but I think Ive got a plan in place that everyone will like. Updates coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles