Tepui RTT rack width

sned

I just ordered a Tepui Autana SKY was wondering if someone knew the width of the mounting rails. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback with factory roof rack and wanted to check if the Tepui will mount to factory rail.

Second option is upgrade to Yakima rail system.

sned

Thank you for the measurement. Just measured my rack width at 36" should fit with no issues.

Is there particular reason why the factory rack isn't ideal? I've only used it a few times to mount a Subaru roof basket.

qooper

I used to have the tepui autana on factory crossbars and I would not recommend it. It weighs around 150lbs without people in it and the stock crossbars aren't meant to handle that much weight. Trust me, I snapped a factory crossbar and messed up the roof of my truck and I only weigh 135.

sned

Thanks for the info. Decided to upgrade the roof rack with Yakima pads, towers and bars. Will lift the the tent up about 3 inches but should make it easier getting a wrench on the RTT mount.

sned

Anyone move the mounting rails on the Tepui inwards about 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" on each side? With the Yakima skyline control tower the mounting width is about about 2 1/2" to narrow for the Tepui.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Box Rocket and others, what is your opinion on having a Kukenam XL ruggedized on the factory 4Runner roof rails with Yakima crossbars? The tent is 6' long and the factory rack is not so need opinions or experiences with such a long tent on a 4Runner. Thanks

Box Rocket

As far as size goes, mounting to load bars works fine. However, the XL Ruggedized is a big tent as you know and you'll be pushing the limits of the factory rails capabilities. You might consider upgrading to a different roof mounted rack or load bars.

Wallygator

Adventurer
As far as size goes, mounting to load bars works fine. However, the XL Ruggedized is a big tent as you know and you'll be pushing the limits of the factory rails capabilities. You might consider upgrading to a different roof mounted rack or load bars.

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear in my post, I would have Yakima load/cross bars on the factory rails. Should be more than adequate. My question was in regards to how long the XL is compared to the length of the 4runner rails and whether or not it would work? Thanks for your time with this

Box Rocket

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear in my post, I would have Yakima load/cross bars on the factory rails. Should be more than adequate. My question was in regards to how long the XL is compared to the length of the 4runner rails and whether or not it would work? Thanks for your time with this

The roof rails don't need to match the length of the tent. With the XL you might consider a third or even a 4th load bar to distribute load better. Position the load bars either in 1/3 equal spacing for 3 bars, and 1/4 equal spacing if you use 4. If you plan to just use two crossbars I would try to position them to be somewhere between the ends of the tent and where the cover straps are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke