Picked up a New 2m/70cm rig; Icom ID-5100A / Comet CA-2x4SR

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just picked up:
Icom ID-5100A
comet CA-2x4SR (with optional spring )
Comet 3D4MB mount with cable

Between the Dayton Hamvention sale, and the "Hams to Japan" rebate (which I still need to figure out how to submit) the radio and antenna were awesome deals ($430 for the radio and $63 for the antenna + $21 for the spring, through tomorrow at Ham Radio Outlet).
Edit to add correction. The rebate from Icom America is $20, not $50, which changes the price to $460. There was confusion between HRO and Icom America. HRO just changed their web page to correct this. Still happy with the deal on the radio. :)

Was pretty set on getting the Kenwood TM-D710GA, which is an awesome radio. Then started looking into the Icom due to the Bluetooth, Android App, and big arsed touch screen (good for us old blind guys).

Lots of good reviews on the radio, and the antenna (once the optional spring is installed).

So now I just need to make some time to get it all mounted up. Hopefully about mid, to late, June.
Still need to pickup a mic extension cable, and either the Icom Bluetooth module, or put together an external BT module. Also looking at making it swap-able between the Jeep and the Scout, later on this year. So will need to keep that in mind when mounting it all up.

Picture 1: the "Gear"
Picture 2: 5100 display next to a Galaxy S5 phone
Picture 3: Driver's eye view of approximately where the display will sit. The display came with a magnetic mount, which makes it nice for tucking the head away when not in use.

Attachments

• Gear.jpg
    Gear.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Display_size.jpg
    Display_size.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Display-test-fit.jpg
    Display-test-fit.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Excellent choice.

I really like the ability to gps-tag the memory slots on dr mode so that the radio knows which repeaters are "nearby" to wherever you are standing.

Throw a SD card into its slot and your can page between programming sets making it awesome for road trips.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Excellent choice.

I really like the ability to gps-tag the memory slots on dr mode so that the radio knows which repeaters are "nearby" to wherever you are standing.

Throw a SD card into its slot and your can page between programming sets making it awesome for road trips.

Thanks for the positive feedback, and the tip on the SD card. :beer:
Looking forward to put it to work. :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just installed the UT-133A Bluetooth module ($70 shipped through eBay). Pretty impressed with the quality inside the radio. The module is a very simple install, taking all of about 3 minutes total. :)
Don't have a picture, but here is a video link to doing this.

A cautionary note. I would be concerned that the tuning of the antenna will change with the addition of the spring. Considering VHF/UHF, that is going to be a major change in length. I would check the tuning before firing up the radio.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
A cautionary note. I would be concerned that the tuning of the antenna will change with the addition of the spring. Considering VHF/UHF, that is going to be a major change in length. I would check the tuning before firing up the radio.

Excellent point.
I'm hoping the local radio shop will have an antenna tuner so it can be tweaked.
Then I can work with an swr meter to find the best compromise for a mounting location, once that's done. :)

I have an antenna analyzer that covers 2m and 70cm. The spring did not significantly change the SWR on my particular install.

That being said, this antenna does require a significant groundplane. It works amazingly well on my hood mount, but does not work on 2 meters on the roof rack mount on my trailer.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great info! Thank you very much. :cool:
My first thought, was to try a mount off the A pillar (where normal Jeep people mount lights ;)). Then move down the driver's side of the hood to find the best location.
Sounds like I should just skip the A pillar idea, and start at the hood.

Really appreciate this info! :beer:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the antenna tunes on an analyzer. From all I've read, it is well tuned right out of the bag.
Was going to have HRO in Oakland do the spring install, and tuning when I bought it, but they were just too busy.

I'd love to have an antenna analyzer, but I barely do enough radio stuff to justify an SWR meter. When spending this kind of coin, it's nice to have things work as best as possible. :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You are absolutely right Sir! I should have stated my objective better.
So, putting the antenna and coax/mount on an analyzer before installed on the vehicle is just a confidence thing. I'm starting from a confirmed known good point, with known good parts.
Then I'm confident in installing, and tuning as needed.
Just because a part is new, doesn't mean it's good, it just looks good. lol

Without a proper ground plane you will probably get some way off numbers when checking it without mounting. Will not really classify it as working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles