tablet or laptop for my use?

t4rFL

Adventurer
i am looking for something i can plug an external hardrive into and transfer pics/videos from an SD card while i'm traveling.

i used to have a Dell laptop that I've been using for the past 10 years, but it has finally retired. i recently purchased an HP 2-in-1 that was on sale in hopes of replacing my laptop, but after a few uses i am ready to bash this thing. it keeps on freezing up and is so slow. plus i can't get used to windows 10. if i were to get another laptop it would have to be windows 7. doesn't have to be a 2-in-1 design but they are nice. laptops i've seen at best buy are upwards of $800+.

tablets i know nothing about. can you use them to transfer files from an SD card to external hardrive? i found a few w/ a usb port so i'm assuming you can.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would take some time, and get used to windows 10. 7 is not going to be supported much longer. I love windows 10. it's awesome. plus there are really cheap apps from the store that are great for editing photos and videos. I have a new dell inspiron 13 5000 that I paid 599.00 for. It's 2 in 1 touchscreen, I installed 16 gb ram and a 2 TB SSHD. It's fast, smooth and lightweight. I would recommend that. In all honesty, windows 10 is the best OS right now. Android tablets are not the best for doing what you want to do. What model HP do you have?

t4rFL

Adventurer
pavilon x360 w/ intel core i3 6gb memory; it was a black friday deal, new, but it's worse then my 10 yr old laptop.

kojackJKU

Hmmm odd. I have a pentium m in mine and its smooth and fast. I wonder if there is something running in the background slowing it down. My wife has the core i3 in her Inspiron 11 3000 and only has 4gb of ram and hers is fast

kojackJKU

I just did some reading. Contact hp. Your machine has a 4.4 out of 5 on bestbuy with 291 reviews. If it was as slow as you say, it would get like 1.5 ....don't give up on it yet. Moving to a tablet will push you backwards big time. I own an android tablet with USB etc, an iPad Air 2, a MacBook and a load of pc's. the new 2 in 1 is the best of the bunch for photography use .

t4rFL

Adventurer
i actually am in the middle of a factory reset just to see if it works. if not, it's still under warranty. i do like the whole idea how its touch screen or you can use the regular keyboard etc...i still prefer windows 7 though.

kojackJKU

Touchscreen is awesome. Once you start using all the features of 10. I think your opinion will change. I was the same way. But now 10 is sooooooo much better.

kojackJKU

Oh, find Ccleaner and download it. Run it, and you can remove a lot of software you don't need. Like all the crap HP installs and its not needed! That will make a difference as well.

t4rFL

Adventurer
How are you making out with the reset? Did it make any difference?

after the reset i did delete all the games and stuff i didn't need, and unlike last time, didn't install additional apps or programs. so far it is much faster. but would like to use it more until i say all is good. i have a home PC that i use for editing and browsing, so i don't need to do that stuff on this 2-in-1. plus a phone i can use the internet for why traveling.

kojackJKU

I got rid of my "home computers" per se. I just plug our laptops into monitors and keyboards now. Soon replacing my monitors with touchscreens for enhance editing and creation capabilities. My wife is into card making etc, and I am into photography, videography and blog content. As well as creating stuff for my business. I love having my computer go with me everywhere. Just plug it into the monitors etc when home.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I recently picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro (with docking station) for the wife and it's been pretty sweet. Its nice and quick, uses a SSD, has excellent battery life, and has full PC functionality with still being tablet small and portable. I wish they made an even bigger version, as I'd get one (Id love a 17+ inch model).

FJOE

Regular Dude
I have a Lenovo Yoga II that has been all over the world. It's a great tablet, and a decent laptop. It's thin, light, and pretty sleek. No issues out of it whatsoever.

kojackJKU

Snoviking, I had the surface 3, it just never had enough storage space or power for our useage. Plus, the windows store app selection is down right terrible. If you find your lacking apps, Download bluestacks. You can run all android apps on your windows tablet or computer. I don't think you will ever see a 17" version of the surface. They released a new surface pro with 1tb of storage which is awesome. Plus the surface studio is insane too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles