LR4 with Alpine Roof - roof rack options for RTT

Matt!

Hello,

We have an LR4 with the alpine roof and factory tracks but no rails, We're planning to purchase a rack and a hard shell roof top tent. After going to the Overland Expo, we really liked the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with the Backbone system. But, the weight capacity is downrated to 165 lbs with the alpine roof. In looking at other manufacturers (Eezi Awn K9, Front Runner, Baja, Prospeed, etc), I don't see any mention of the alpine option as an issue. Maybe the Rhino Rack is just the wrong one for us but the downrated weight makes me wonder if other racks will be an issue.

I've looked through past roof rack threads and cannot see anything about issues with the alpine roof.

Is the alpine option really an issue in regards to weight capacity?

Also, the owners manual states the roof capacity is 165 . I've seen many LR3/4s out in the world with RTT. Do people just ignore the limits?

Anyone out there have a hardshell RTT on an LR3/4 with the alpine option? Would love to get thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Jwestpro

Explorer
What the heck are you talking about "alpine" roof "option"? The only way LR3/4 come to usa is the same with glass on top .

Anyway, no RTT 'requires' a rack of any sort. Note does it even really benefit from it. All they require is two cross bars that are flat and sturdy, like Thule or Yakima. Either of those will 'fit-kit' right onto the factory side tracks.

I've actually been using 3 bars on 6 feet to hold my Hannibal rack, it's two awnings, and ARB RTT for several years with zero issues.

Unless you need flat space for other gear, or an edge for mounting awnings, the big rack is just a waste of money, much louder, more wind drag, and heavier degrading the handling even more.

There's a certain elegance and simplicity with just having a hard shell RTT on 2 bars and that's all!

IMG_8506.jpg

The beauty of a quick lock system. I can remove full rack with bars and rear awning intact by myself in about 10 minutes.
IMG_9087.jpg

Last edited:

Matt!

Ha. When I first saw that note on the Rhino Rack site, I had the same reaction. The glass on top isn't an option really.

Thanks for the information. I'll likely want to mount an awning as well so a rack makes sense for us. But, the simplicity of cross bars is appealing.

Reassuring to know the glass "option" really isn't a limiting factor.

Thanks

What the heck are you talking about "alpine" roof "option"? The only way LR3/4 come to usa is the same with glass on top .

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Only ROW Discovery models were available with roof options. Every single NAS has most of the luxury stuff and our 'options' are typically interior related. Besides a very small number of 2005 V6 petrol models which had aluminum instead of glass roof panels. I don't really see what it does to the weight rating of a rack, the glass is not carrying weight besides its own mass. Every rack, and roof rails are carried by the UHD steel pillars.

As far as I have ever seen, we have a wide variety of choice for roof racks nowadays. Can't really go wrong between them, maybe wind noise is variable. I would however get rails fitted and then get a rack.

AS for the weight limit you mention, I believe the number derives more from a handling issue standpoint, more than that weight, and you are asking for a rollover beyond that number. Can load it way more but obviously don't be an idiot on a turn...

DVD

Adventurer
A few tidbits I recall from similar conversations:
  • You can't fight the laws of physics. Low weight is better than high weight.
  • That said, the 165 lbs figure is probably the work of Land Rover legal.
  • It's a heavy vehicle. A few more lbs on the roof is mitigated by the overall weight.
  • The Land Rover-provided G4 LR3's came outfitted with with more than that on the roof rack, unless the jerry cans and spare tire were filled with helium.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I just fitted my front runner rack, CVT mt Shasta, CVT awning and I can feel the extra weight on top but it's not excessive by any stretch. I had a similar setup on both my D1's and it was more obvious on those.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I just fitted my front runner rack, CVT mt Shasta, CVT awning and I can feel the extra weight on top but it's not excessive by any stretch. I had a similar setup on both my D1's and it was more obvious on those.

That's interesting because on my D2 with exact same rack and awnings, I barely felt it other than wind drag with the weaker motor. However, it has stronger OME springs and and dampers to compensate for added weight. By comparison, we add all this crap to our LR3&4 but our suspension is not upgradable or accounting for dramatic weight additions. So in my experience, I much more notice the difference from when the roof is empty vs loaded with rack, 2 awnings, RTT, pelican with chain saw, and the ladder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles