Camp lights- with switch on light

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
My google skills are failing me. Looking for recommendations for LED flood/work lights that have on/off switch on the light itself. The only one I have seen is the Hella Matador

Hnoroian

Observer
Add your own waterproof switch on the junction box, you can find them on eBay or Amazon real cheap for under $20 total.
image.jpeg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
The plan is to mount these under an awning under a four wheel camper. A porch light sort of thing. Some campers are pre-wired but I don't believe my build has the pre-wire drops on the side I need to run my lights. Would be nice to click on and off without opening up the rear. ( Swing out tire carrier)

javajoe79

Fabricator
Why not just wire in a switch nearby? Better yet a dimmer so as not to melt faces with super bright light under an awning.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I don't like the remote control lights. Had them in a truck I built and the remote was always finicky or needed batteries. That was when you could find the remote

rayra

Expedition Leader
been looking for lights along these lines as well. Been wanting to make yet another electrical mod to my Suburban and run a wiring harness / supply into my Z71 roof rack and put some power connectors or receptacles into the roomy feet of the roof rack. And then have area lights which I can clamp on the rack or plug into the receptacles when I set up camp and awnings. And have them dual-switched for white and red light. One of my other hobbies is amateur astronomy and having some red area lights would be nice. I've been modifying those super cheap solar path lights from Walmart, changing in red LEDs. I'd like something with a bit more light to put on my roof rack

D4782

Observer
I agree on avoiding the remotes. I have found some led light strips with an inline remote that would be great. However, they are a little dim; only about 66 lumen/foot.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think the LED strips have their place. They're plenty enough light to move around a campsight / vehicle. Don't have to be blindingly bright for that. But a portable work light for unsticking a vehicle or making repairs is also a very useful thing. maybe a two-stage light, or two different light types is better. Besides, 'two is one, one is none'. Carry just one light source and it's sure to quit when you need it most.

/

LIftgatelights04_zps5bfjjhx7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94