Ram 3500 Front End Help

JamesY

Hi

I think I have dialled down some upgrades but wanted some input. The truck is a 3500 Ram (2007 5.9 Cummins), recently serviced and as expected requires some front end work.

The service items that were flagged are: Track bar / Tie Rod / Sway Bar / Ball Joints.

As I am going on a fairly extensive trip I wanted to really dial in the front end. So added to the list a little:

Steering Box / Free Spin Hubs / Mopar Steering Upgrade?

The Carli Steering Upgrade covers the ball Joints and Track Bar. I was considering Synergy's Steering Kit, which includes tie rod and drag link.

For the steering box I was looking at Borgesen. Would i need their steering shaft too? And if i get this new steering box would i require a steering brace or will the new box fix that issue anyway?

Lastly ... the Mopar steering linkage upgrade. Is that a good option to include? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for your input.

Brianagg06

Was in your similar situation last year. 2500 Ram (2005 5.9 Cummins 4x4). Front end was terrible, started shaking at speeds over 65, bump steer was terrible, etc etc. I did the following upgrades

-2008.5 MOPAR Steering Upgrade
-Bilstein 5100 shocks all around
-Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
-Carli Track Bar
-Carli Ball Joints
-MaxxLinks End Links
-New Swaybar Bushings
-Timken Hubs
-Spicer Drive Axle U-Joints

I cant begin to express what a difference those upgrades made to the way it drives. Best money I've spent on the truck...it was down right dangerous before. Next steering upgrade will be the DOR Steering Brace. When the gear box needs replacing, I'll most likely go Redhead. I don't know much about Borgeson, but I believe you have to change to their steering shaft too.

For reference, my truck is leveled on OEM coils, with 315/75/17 BFG ATs

Hope that helps

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Skip the aftermarket steering boxes and go with Mopar's upgraded box. http://www.cjcoffroad.com/Mopar-68170214AA-Steering-Box-Upgrade-Dodge-Ram-p/68170214aa.htm

The shop I use installs many,many Redhead and they just got the first one in for warranty.
That being said I'd install a new one from Dodge.
CJC Offroad has a wealth of trail tested recommendations.
I've had the Synergy steering upgrade and it came highly recommendation by them. It's very stout with cheap tre's if one ever does need replacement.
Like mine you have the last of the 5.9's.

JamesY

The shop I use installs many,many Redhead and they just got the first one in for warranty.
That being said I'd install a new one from Dodge.
CJC Offroad has a wealth of trail tested recommendations.
I've had the Synergy steering upgrade and it came highly recommendation by them. It's very stout with cheap tre's if one ever does need replacement.
Like mine you have the last of the 5.9's.

Thanks. I think I might run with the Mopar one, from what i have read the steering braces seem to be more compatible with that version too.

Is the Synergy Steering upgrade the same as the Mopar Steering 08.5 upgrade?

JamesY

Was in your similar situation last year. 2500 Ram (2005 5.9 Cummins 4x4). Front end was terrible, started shaking at speeds over 65, bump steer was terrible, etc etc. I did the following upgrades

-2008.5 MOPAR Steering Upgrade
-Bilstein 5100 shocks all around
-Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
-Carli Track Bar
-Carli Ball Joints
-MaxxLinks End Links
-New Swaybar Bushings
-Timken Hubs
-Spicer Drive Axle U-Joints

Thanks. I am heading towards the Carli Steering Upgrade Kit, that comes with the ball joints and trackbar as well as a steering stabilizer in one kit, presumably at a slight discount to purchasing separately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz