2nd Gen 4runner ARB bumper fit Montero?

As the title states, will a ARB bumper for a 2nd Generation 4runner be large enough for a montero? Obviously the mounts would need to be changed and inner material might require some trimming, but I'm talking overall dimensions. I've heard ZJ bumpers fit best, but I can't find any locally. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The Jeep will be narrow for a Montero and Jeep bumpers are flat where the Montero is curved, be cautious of the work involved in putting a Jeep style plate construction bumper on a Montero. I've done a few and always from guys who bought a jeep bumper because they saw a Montero on the internet with one installed. THEY DO NOT FIT!!! At least not without a considerable amount of work, I need to start letting people hang themselves with their Jeep bumper so the info gets on the internet. Jeeps are very small vehicles (Excluding the SJ which is very close to Montero size) and the Montero only looks narrow because it's taller than most.
With that out of the way, i would stick to the Yota and Nissan ARB's because they are much closer in size and closer in shape. These bumpers will be much easier to work with. Now tube bumpers are a different story, much easier to fit since they hang out away from the body typically. I'd look into Trail-Gear tube bumpers if you go this route.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The Jeep will be narrow for a Montero and Jeep bumpers are flat where the Montero is curved, be cautious of the work involved in putting a Jeep style plate construction bumper on a Montero. I've done a few and always from guys who bought a jeep bumper because they saw a Montero on the internet with one installed. THEY DO NOT FIT!!! At least not without a considerable amount of work, I need to start letting people hang themselves with their Jeep bumper so the info gets on the internet. Jeeps are very small vehicles (Excluding the SJ which is very close to Montero size) and the Montero only looks narrow because it's taller than most.
With that out of the way, i would stick to the Yota and Nissan ARB's because they are much closer in size and closer in shape. These bumpers will be much easier to work with. Now tube bumpers are a different story, much easier to fit since they hang out away from the body typically. I'd look into Trail-Gear tube bumpers if you go this route.

The ZJ ARB bumper requires very little modification to fit and there are a few of us on here using it.

Do you know which Toyota bumpers fit best? I'm assuming 60/80/100 series LC would be too large and tacoma would possibly be too small. FJ might be about right? I found an ARB locally, but the ad doesn't say what vehicle it's on, looks like a 95-ish 4runner. Here's a photo from the exact ad.

4YzkLE8.jpg

Toasty

Your Montero (SR Flares) is about 70" wide
That 4 runner is about 67"
3rd Gen 4 Runner is near perfect width and much closer on the contour. 70.5"
XJ is about 67"
ZJ is about 69"

The Yota and the Montero have a curve across the front like the one you have pictured, the jeeps in discussion do not. They are flat across, so in the case of installing a ZJ, XJ or Wrangler bumper you mock up the bumper and it will stand off the Montero. Trace the curvature of the Montero onto the Jeep bumper, Measure the gap from the bumper wing to the Montero fender, remove the bumper and match that contour + the amount of the gap you measured. Cut that off, now make new mounts to attach your Jeep bumper to your Montero. Now to mount a winch, install the winch between the frame rails as per Mitsubishi spec. Mounting to the Jeep bumper will cause issues unless you build a serious cradle to tie the winch directly into the frame well above frame center. The reason for this is because the Montero sits on top of it's frame and the Jeep body is it's frame so the bumper on the Jeep is pulling from near the center of the Jeep frame and if it were pulling from that same point on the Montero it will have a massive amount of leverage over the frame because the Jeep bumper will be over the top of the Montero frame.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Jeep-N-Montero post yours up so everyone can see how the ZJ fits, I'll try to dig up some of the Jeep bumpers I've put on Monteros too. Offroader has a TJ bumper on his too maybe he'll post up.

Makes perfect sense, thank you for explaining. Too bad 3rd Gen 4runner bumpers are almost perfect, I never see those up for sale. I really like the look of the FJ bumper that was on Eurosonic's Montero, seems like it fits really well.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
For what it's worth... we installed a Smittybilt Jeep Wrangler bumper on our G2.5 [$100 CL find].

Actually, we used the center-section, then removed the "ears", and constructed new "ears" [exterior portions].

The center-section fit like a glove - on a rig that has a 2" Body Lift... we were able to use the oem factory bumper mounts [that bolt to the frame horns] - welded to the Smittybilt bumper.

it will NOT fit a G2.5 if it has NOT had a body lift performed.

That is, it will not fit the front body panels/ contours - unless the bumper is pulled away from the body, by several inches...

Even then, the raised area on the "ears" will likely interfere with the headlights [ability to shine unimpeded light].

"Ears' were made of 3/16" plate steel... 1-piece sides [w/ appropriate bends] & 1-piece top plate, along w/ plenty of backside bracing.

Far cheaper than an ARB... definitely able to dance with wandering cows [yes, that is a problem for us].

Most any Jeep [Wrangler/ CJ / etc] bumper [that I am aware of] is not going to have the dimensions required for our Monteros.

But, it doesn't hurt to think outside the box...

See page 6 of the following thread, for a large picture of the rig;

SoCal Montero Meet-Up Saturday 3-25-17 @ 10:00-12:00

Good luck,

- Wm.

Toasty

Dylan here used one of those too, reworked the modular ears to fit the Montero and made little lids to make the bumper carry straps and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online