2 burner camping stove recommendations?

TrailKitchens

At Trail Kitchens we have field tested most of the 2 burner stove models from Camp Chef, Coleman, Optimus, Partner Steel and Jet Boil. A condensed summary of the best models we tested is below

Camp Chef Everest and Summit
- The most powerful portable camp stove we have tested plus it is easy to simmer and modulate the flame. It has a somewhat cheap case and clasps and fairly large overall footprint but is an excellent choice. We integrate this unit, without the cheap case, into Our Camp Kitchen with Integrated stove

Partner steel - Definitely the most rugged and the highest quality build quality of any stove we have tested. Decent flame modulation. Very compact packed size

Jet Boil Genesis - Most compact storage size by a long shot. The best flame modulation we have tested and the ability to add a 3rd Jetboil style burner is really nice for bigger groups. Some have complained about a lack of a good windscreen but for 10.00 you can find compact folding wind screens that will fill the bill. Excellent ergonomic piezo lighter is really nice to use

jpachard

Adventurer
My suggestion is start with what fuel you want to use and go from there. I'm not a fan of propane as it's another heavy item to carry around ( the bottle anyway), it's not great at altitude and you can't use vehicle fuel in propane stove in a pinch. Your needs might be different so good luck! Lots of good suggestions here.

Cheers, James

pyadav

Camp Chef Ranger II Double Burner Table Top Camp Stove

It is now available on Walmart for a fare price.

SirCampalot

Adventurer
I've been using the Partner Steel 22" stove for a couple years now. It is a bit pricey, but quality is second to none. My friend's wife, who is a fantastic chef, did mention that my stove does not simmer (low heat) too well without the flame blowing out. Personally it doesn't bother me, but has anyone else experienced this?

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
I've been using the Partner Steel 22" stove for a couple years now. It is a bit pricey, but quality is second to none. My friend's wife, who is a fantastic chef, did mention that my stove does not simmer (low heat) too well without the flame blowing out. Personally it doesn't bother me, but has anyone else experienced this?

Yes.

One of my biggest challenges with stove top Dutch oven style cooking...which is probably cheating to begin with, so karmic winds seem to be fair play. I recently sold my Camp Chef Explorer II in favor of a smaller CC table top model, the Ranger II.

Took Ranger out for its first trip and the results were nice. although the DO doesn't fit on the burner without some very careful balancing. I have some diffuser plates from CC which I used to modulate heat from the Explorer II that will hopefully help. The Ranger is my first stove with auto iginiters, but unfortunately I didn't think to check the routing of the AI cable and fried one first time out.

Choff

Adventurer
We got one last year JET Boil Genesis -ya not cheap $ - but food is not also !!! best cooking stove yet
Wife loves the pans -no sticking and great clean up

Jet Boil Genesis - Most compact storage size by a long shot. The best flame modulation we have tested and the ability to add a 3rd Jetboil style burner is really nice for bigger groups. Some have complained about a lack of a good windscreen but for 10.00 you can find compact folding wind screens that will fill the bill. Excellent ergonomic piezo lighter is really nice to use

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
We got one last year JET Boil Genesis -ya not cheap $ - but food is not also !!! best cooking stove yet
Wife loves the pans -no sticking and great clean up

^^^This...

Jet Boil Genesis 2 Base Camp System

This will be my next stove purchase.

-weighs in at under 12 lbs...with nested 5 qt. pot and skillet

-packs into the space of a small nesting set

-converts to refillable propane system easily

-boils 5 qts. of water in under 3 minutes...:Wow1:

-comes with ultralight windscreen that wraps around nesting unit and packs away neatly

Downside...your out almost four Ben Franklins for the privilege...no such thing as a free lunch! :coffeedrink:

Yosemite

I really like my basic jetboil, and have been keeping my eyes on the genesis set. Now that I finally have a truck, I think it's time to pick one up.

ckkone

Explorer
This one is way nicer than the Partner Steel and its cheaper.

https://www.rei.com/product/115398/camp-chef-mountaineer-2-burner-stove

eac3f559-fade-45f5-9e35-2e48e54749d9

CSG

Explorer
Lots of great and expensive options listed though I'm sure the OP bought his long ago. I almost NEVER use my 2 burner Coleman Classic propane that I got from Costco a good 10-15 years ago. Mine has the typical two burner controls on the right front panel but has a piezo igniter on the left front. It's solid, works great, and even came with a non-stick Coleman grill. It was maybe $50 back in the early to mid-2000's.

I prefer a single burner butane stove or my MSR Superfly but when I use this gear it's almost always just me.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Just had my Camp Chef Everest go haywire on me this weekend. One burner anyway. I guess REI has a one year return limit now, cause I tried to take it back. I only used it about 8 times. I called the company today and it is out of warranty, but they offered to sell me new burners, haha.

I bought this stove due to all the great reviews and feedback, and especially the flame control. I see the prices are dropping (Amazon $50 now, and the units are out of stock or discontinued in many places). They were about $100 last year. Someone mentioned how the quality has gone down recently, and I was not overly impressed about the flame control anyway. I wonder what’s going on with it and Camp Chef?

So with the great sales for Mem. day I grabbed a Jetboil Genesis Basecamp 2 with the accessory Luma burner at 25% off and free ship. Can’t wait to try it with a Dutch oven. It’s like four turns from off to high and boils 5L of water in 3 minutes, woohoo! We’ll see.

EDIT: ok so actual was 3L in 6 minutes ( a little above sea level) Rolling, furious boil though!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles