2 burner camping stove recommendations?

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've been very happy with my Coleman two-burner propane stove. I've had it probably 20 years now, and have never had an issue with it. Those green one-pound propane cylinders seem to last a long time (for me anyways) and they're easy to squirrel away (they also work with my propane lantern, torch, and my buddy space heater). The stove came with a black vinyl zip bag with attachments for propane cylinders on either end. I eventually cut those attachment things off and just keep the stove in the vinyl bag and store the propane cylinders elsewhere. It closes up fairly flat, and has the wind screens on either side.

The only thing my stove doesn't have is a piezo ignitor. I use the little red gun thingy in the picture to create a spark after turning on the burner and it always starts with one pull of the trigger.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Another Coleman fan, mine are all Coleman fuel although I have one of the propane adapters. I bought mine in the late eighties and it's still going strong. Check yard sales, nobody seems to want them anymore and the old ones just keep going and going and....... I keep a Jetboil in the back of the truck and sometimes use a Gasone butane although I got that one more for cooking samgyupsal.

CSG

Explorer
I have a Coleman propane stove that I bought at Costco at least 15 years ago if not longer. Bought mostly for power outages and it seems to work well. As I'm never in a spot longer than overnight, I don't bring it along. I use a little butane burner for coffee and eggs.

ChasingOurTrunks

I would suggest instead of starting with make/model of stove, a person shopping should first start with these two questions:

1) Where will I be using it?

2) What fuel do I want to run?

The answer to question 1 will inform your answer to question 2, and that will narrow down your stove choices considerably.

1) Where will I be using it? Propane is not ideal at altitude, so if you plan to do a lot of high elevation touring, you may want to go with a different fuel source. Further, Propane and Isobutane (like the canisters Jetboil uses) are terrible in the cold; so again, if you do a lot of cold weather adventuring, it's not the best choice. If you are going out for the occasional weekend/week long trip in the US or Canada, and that's it -- I think Propane or Isobutane is ideal, with Propane getting the edge of fuel price/availability and Isobutane getting the edge on the compact size of most isobutane systems.

2) What fuel do I want to run? Once you've considered the above, you'll know what kind of fuels will work best for your intended use, and that lets you narrow it down. If you are settled on Propane, you've got lots of options but for ease of use you should know there are a multitude of adapters available so that you can run your propane stove off of the little green bottles (Expensive) or hook them up to a larger tank. If you do the occasional run and always return to home base after a few days or a week, I also recommend getting one of these:

The adapter above will let you refill a 1lbs tank off a larger bulk tank, so you can take advantage of the space saving size of 1lb tanks without the same penalty of their expense.

We prefer keeping all of our fuels the same, so we don't need to worry about finding multiple sources of consumable fuels on a trip. That means for us, it's the capability to run unleaded gas for everything. But sometimes, you cannot beat the ease and convenience of propane/isobutane. Since this thread is about two-burner stoves, for us, that left only one choice:

Coleman 425 Series Liquid Gas Stove.

You can use Coleman liquid fuels, unleaded gas, or with the right adapter you can run propane too!

We just picked ours up as our rig has a bit of extra space so we could upgrade to a two burner. Prior to this, we got the same functionality with the MSR Whisperlite Universal, which will run off of white gas, unleaded gas, diesel fuel, kerosene, and isobutane. It really is an excellent stove.

(Edit: Amazon links above are not representative of the best prices; REI is often better but Amazon is easy to show off the products)

KenC

OutThere
I've been very happy with my Coleman two-burner propane stove. I've had it probably 20 years now, and have never had an issue with it. Those green one-pound propane cylinders seem to last a long time (for me anyways) and they're easy to squirrel away (they also work with my propane lantern, torch, and my buddy space heater). The stove came with a black vinyl zip bag with attachments for propane cylinders on either end. I eventually cut those attachment things off and just keep the stove in the vinyl bag and store the propane cylinders elsewhere. It closes up fairly flat, and has the wind screens on either side.

The only thing my stove doesn't have is a piezo ignitor. I use the little red gun thingy in the picture to create a spark after turning on the burner and it always starts with one pull of the trigger.

View attachment 519599

I like Coleman products also.

Really like the table. have any info?

-
KenC

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like Coleman products also.

Really like the table. have any info?

-
KenC
It is a folding Coleman table I picked up years ago at Walmart (or someplace like that). It folds into an 18" x 24" x 2.75" thick (I went out and measured) package and doesn't take up too much space. Opened up the top is 36" x 24". It is a good sized table for cooking on, but it takes up the whole table with the two-burner stove.

You might be able to find it on-line.

Attachments

• camp table.1.jpg
    camp table.1.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 32
  • camp table.2.jpg
    camp table.2.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Hashbrowns.jpg
    Hashbrowns.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
This one is way nicer than the Partner Steel and its cheaper.

https://www.rei.com/product/115398/camp-chef-mountaineer-2-burner-stove

eac3f559-fade-45f5-9e35-2e48e54749d9
Didn't stand the test of time.

Partners meanwhile....

huachuca

Adventurer
I bought this Coleman 413F along with the folding oven (shown over the right burner) at a yard sale in 67. Over the years I acquired several propane stoves but kept coming back to liquid fuel. The single burner 533 was added back in the early 90's and does a great job on coffee. By the time the bacon or sausage is done, the oven is up to temp for biscuits or rolls. Finish the eggs and the bread is ready. This photo was taken near Amarillo but we were above 10K ft on part of this trip with temps below freezing. With the altitude and colder weather, our propane campfire was a bit balky but the stoves never missed a beat.

But liquid, propane or butane ain't the answer for everything. Note: The tank in the rear was for the fireplace.

kathleenmelissa

I bought this after a big blizzard hit northeast PA leaving me without power for close to six days without electric in the dead of winter. I have electric heat and an electric stove/oven. Needless to say, not a good situation, especially that for two days the roads were blocked by downed trees. All I had to cook with with a BBQ without the side burner, making my cooking options limited at best. Once electric, internet, and cellular service were restored in my area, I immediately ordered this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles