Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New version of Gaia GPS released

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
    Old fart question here; I have an iPad mini with ~ 30 gigs total memory and 15-20 gigs typically available. After downloading enough maps to be useful how well can I expect Gaia/Pro work on my device?
    Can you provide a bit more info?

    How large of areas are you trying to download? How often will you be in those areas at close to the same time? Meaning One shouldn't try to download the entire US if they are really only going to be in a given area at the moment.

    I download as needed and once a year clear out all of my old maps and then download new ones as required.

    Keeping waypoints and tracks is a different story. You can keep those as long as you like and can choose whether you just want to store them at gaiagps.com or sync with your device(s).
    2011 FJ Cruiser

    Gaia GPS Adventure Support

    "Wherever you go, there you are!"

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, but currently in Spain
    Posts
    21
    Although I do not use Gaia (yet, as I am still finishing off a sailing trip, overlanding in on the horizon) I am a developer and run a site for sailors. I ran it for 4 years for "free", which just meant I paid the bills. I put in a subscription model to help pay the monthly costs, occasionally I run into the same feedback as this thread shows about Gaia. I have been a professional developer for almost 30 years and have seen the market evolve in how to support paying for software. Lets face facts, developers are people who go to work, just like any other profession, and should to be paid for it. I don't know of any profession out there willing to work for free and somehow I doubt the people at Gaia are getting rich off this app. When I look at the "Company" page on their website I see 9 people (and a dog) working on this software, as the Aussie's say "Good on them" for taking the leap and building software that seems to fill the needs for some people.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
    Old fart question here; I have an iPad mini with ~ 30 gigs total memory and 15-20 gigs typically available. After downloading enough maps to be useful how well can I expect Gaia/Pro work on my device?

    That really is a question that can't be easily answered. With GAIA you can download maps at different levels (IE 1:24k 1:100k for comparison) There are about 20 different levels of detail available for most maps and each level uses up exponentially more space. Then you have the ability to download more than one map style and either superimpose them on each other or just use the different maps one at a time.
    For instance one topo map I have of central Colorado covering roughly 14x20 miles and downloaded at level 17 is about 800MB. Best I can tell, level 16 is close to a 7.5' map.
    The western half of colorado downloading GAIA TOPO map base is 19.5G. That is just one map.

    Darrell

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutn79 View Post
    That really is a question that can't be easily answered. With GAIA you can download maps at different levels (IE 1:24k 1:100k for comparison) There are about 20 different levels of detail available for most maps and each level uses up exponentially more space. Then you have the ability to download more than one map style and either superimpose them on each other or just use the different maps one at a time.
    For instance one topo map I have of central Colorado covering roughly 14x20 miles and downloaded at level 17 is about 800MB. Best I can tell, level 16 is close to a 7.5' map.
    The western half of colorado downloading GAIA TOPO map base is 19.5G. That is just one map.

    Darrell
    On a similar note with regards to memory.

    There is also a way to download Google satellite imagery. I set Gaia up on my tablet to be able to do that. However, when I tried to download imagery at a high resolution, I was astounded at how much memory it would take. Basically, it's not usable. The smallest area uses so much memory it's useless.

    It would be cool to have that high res imagery in the back country, but I discovered it's just not possible. There is also a limit to how much Gaia will let you download at one time. That limit makes downloading the imagery even more difficult since you can only download a very small area at once.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Rohnert Park, NorCAL
    Posts
    316
    I hope the Android version is out soon!
    OCTA member, ShareTrails Life Member, Cal4Wheel, TLCA, IMBA
    2000 4Runner w/E-locker, Icon suspension, Savage skids and rear bumper
    2002 Subaru Forester, Lifted & Bullbarred
    Pivot Mach4 and Ibis Mojo mountain bikes
    2003 KTM 450 EXC street legal! 2007 KTM 250 XC-W trail bike

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post
    I hope the Android version is out soon!
    I have the latest Android paid version of GAIA and it is the best off road mapping app I have tried out of 4 or 5.
    That being said......
    I don't think GAIA is very serious about the Android version. I have been keeping in touch, off and on for the better part of a year with the techs there, about bugs with the Android version and was told that certain bugs I was emailing them about would be fixed with the new version. Well the new version came out (this was from about 4 months ago or so) and not only were the old bugs still there but new bugs were implemented making the app a real PITA to work with. I have to actually force stop the app to restart it, just closing and reopening the app doesn't work, I asked if tere was a way to revert back to the old version before the update to get rid of the new bugs and just deal witht he original ones but apparently there is no way to do that.
    GAIA is the best I have found so far but the Android version is seriously lacking in competent support.

    Darrell

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutn79 View Post
    I have the latest Android paid version of GAIA and it is the best off road mapping app I have tried out of 4 or 5.
    That being said......
    I don't think GAIA is very serious about the Android version. I have been keeping in touch, off and on for the better part of a year with the techs there, about bugs with the Android version and was told that certain bugs I was emailing them about would be fixed with the new version. Well the new version came out (this was from about 4 months ago or so) and not only were the old bugs still there but new bugs were implemented making the app a real PITA to work with. I have to actually force stop the app to restart it, just closing and reopening the app doesn't work, I asked if tere was a way to revert back to the old version before the update to get rid of the new bugs and just deal witht he original ones but apparently there is no way to do that.
    GAIA is the best I have found so far but the Android version is seriously lacking in competent support.

    Darrell
    That's a shame about Android support, guess I will continue looking for other options.
    ----------
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Auto, 4.10, AEV 2.5" lift, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/70/17 on AEV Pintlers, sPod w/Aeroforce, Trucklites, Rigid D2's, Vector JKE Dock, Dual Batteries, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB rear bumper. Superwinch EPi9.0s, Gobi Stealth, ARB On-board air.
    2002 BMW R1150 GSA with lots of stuff also!
    M101A1 Build

  8. #58
    Existing version works great on my Nexus 6P and Samsung Galaxy S2 Tab.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutn79 View Post
    I have the latest Android paid version of GAIA and it is the best off road mapping app I have tried out of 4 or 5.
    That being said......
    I don't think GAIA is very serious about the Android version. I have been keeping in touch, off and on for the better part of a year with the techs there, about bugs with the Android version and was told that certain bugs I was emailing them about would be fixed with the new version. Well the new version came out (this was from about 4 months ago or so) and not only were the old bugs still there but new bugs were implemented making the app a real PITA to work with. I have to actually force stop the app to restart it, just closing and reopening the app doesn't work, I asked if tere was a way to revert back to the old version before the update to get rid of the new bugs and just deal witht he original ones but apparently there is no way to do that.
    GAIA is the best I have found so far but the Android version is seriously lacking in competent support.

    Darrell

    A new version will be released soon. Keep checking blog.gaiagps.com for details. Once it has been released I will try to remember to post the link here as well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •