Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New version of Gaia GPS released

Quote Originally Posted by snare View Post
    trailbehind,

As a person who travels (and lives and teaches) extensively from my truck and now uses Gaia on Android devices, as well as being a licensed ham operator, I would like to request inclusion of APRS mapping into Gaia.
    Backcountry Navigator just began including it by interfacing with APRSdroid.

This would be an incredible addition to an already incredible app !
    I would like to see that functionality as well. I bought backcountry navigator just to check it out.

Also, I'm having the same problems on my android as everyone else. (Galaxy s7 and tab a 8.0) I sent feedback including system logs when this happened.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As a HAM myself APRS is an intriguing system but I have yet to find it useful if you are always travelling out of range of local towers. It was an option I had concidered when looking for a system to allow tracking. I ended up using Spotwalla which I think also allows APRS input. I had suggested in the past for Gaia to use the Spotwalla system as it's international and does not rely on any one system but many. I had suggested this system to Louder1 but it did not go anywhere for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by snare View Post
    trailbehind,

As a person who travels (and lives and teaches) extensively from my truck and now uses Gaia on Android devices, as well as being a licensed ham operator, I would like to request inclusion of APRS mapping into Gaia.
    Backcountry Navigator just began including it by interfacing with APRSdroid.

This would be an incredible addition to an already incredible app !
    Travelling full time now for 2 years, Mission: A dogs life is too short not to fill it with adventure.

We occasionally overland, car camp, and drive. I call a spade a spade and don't pretend that we are "overlanders".

Our Travel Gallery

Send me an Email

96 Landcruiser 80 (Australorp)
    06 KLR650 (Swiss Army Bike)
    2008 Ural Gear-up (Moldy Pumpkin)

Anyone know if you can run Gia on the Uconnect infortainment system that will be in the JL?
    2006 AEV Unlimited Rubicon. Silver. 6-speed. 34x10.5R17 BFG KO2. OME ZJ/LJ. Nth TT. Alloy Shafts. 4.56 gears.

So I've been using Gaia for a few months on my iPhone and had loved it the entire time. Recently switched to a new Android phone and installed Gaia again. Set it to download/synchronize some of my previously-created routes/maps, forgot about it, and left home. An hour or two later my cell provider sends me an SMS saying I've used 100% of my plan's data. Sure enough, Gaia continued downloading maps after it lost WiFi signal and used up my entire plan's (2GB) data... on the very first day of my billing cycle.

Every other GPS app I've used before would always either stop downloading when the phone switched from WiFi to cellular, or at least provide an option to control this in the settings. I went through all settings in Gaia and found nothing of the sort. This is an absolutely idiotic oversight from Gaia's team. Basic, basic, BASIC functionality that should have been among the first lines of code written. I'm sure I'll get over it, but right now I'm not a happy camper.

I guess I've gotten too comfortable with applications being developed with good decisions in mind from day one. Will now be endlessly paranoid about what Gaia is or is not doing.
    Build thread.

I don't overland; I hop between Starbucks in search of the perfect soy milk.

Instagram: @eatsleepwoof

Quote Originally Posted by eatSleepWoof View Post
    So I've been using Gaia for a few months on my iPhone and had loved it the entire time. Recently switched to a new Android phone and installed Gaia again. Set it to download/synchronize some of my previously-created routes/maps, forgot about it, and left home. An hour or two later my cell provider sends me an SMS saying I've used 100% of my plan's data. Sure enough, Gaia continued downloading maps after it lost WiFi signal and used up my entire plan's (2GB) data... on the very first day of my billing cycle.

Every other GPS app I've used before would always either stop downloading when the phone switched from WiFi to cellular, or at least provide an option to control this in the settings. I went through all settings in Gaia and found nothing of the sort. This is an absolutely idiotic oversight from Gaia's team. Basic, basic, BASIC functionality that should have been among the first lines of code written. I'm sure I'll get over it, but right now I'm not a happy camper.

I guess I've gotten too comfortable with applications being developed with good decisions in mind from day one. Will now be endlessly paranoid about what Gaia is or is not doing.

It's in settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
    It's in settings.

That relates to map downloads, too? Ugh. Damnit.

I thought that option would sync account info, maybe metadata about routes and maps - seeing how it's under "account & subscription" - not control map downloads. There's a separate "map downloads" settings category - why not put another control flag in there?

In any case, thank you.
    Build thread.

I'm a Gaia novice, but I believe that would have prevented your issue. I may be totally wrong though.

It would have. Though Iíve found that Gaia is basically a download from wifi use data as a last resort sort of system. Itís downloads are waaaay too big and sometimes the piss poor internet hotspots I find make using the system a challenge. I love the software, but wish they had a couple simple low bandwidth/offline maps like maps.me or Avenzaís benchmark and backroad atlas map download options.
    Travelling full time now for 2 years, Mission: A dogs life is too short not to fill it with adventure.

We occasionally overland, car camp, and drive. I call a spade a spade and don't pretend that we are "overlanders".

Our Travel Gallery

Send me an Email

96 Landcruiser 80 (Australorp)
    06 KLR650 (Swiss Army Bike)
    2008 Ural Gear-up (Moldy Pumpkin)

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    It would have. Though I’ve found that Gaia is basically a download from wifi use data as a last resort sort of system. It’s downloads are waaaay too big and sometimes the piss poor internet hotspots I find make using the system a challenge. I love the software, but wish they had a couple simple low bandwidth/offline maps like maps.me or Avenza’s benchmark and backroad atlas map download options.
    More granular control over download options would be very, very welcome.

As far as map quality goes, I think the simplest option would be to select maps at a lesser zoom level, which would show less detail and include way less map tiles.
    Build thread.

Quote Originally Posted by trailbehind View Post
    If you are having any trouble with syncing your account, please contact support@gaiagps.com, and we'll get it sorted out. Please do Settings->Send Logs, and comment in the email, that generates. (This is Andrew Johnson, the CEO).
    Just saw this, thanks for the reply. Just so you know, the sync issue continued and is still unresolved, but then when I went to 7.02, it now crashes at launch every single time. Both issues have been reported using the feedback capability of the app at least 10 times over the last several weeks.
    OCTA member, ShareTrails Life Member, Cal4Wheel, TLCA, IMBA
    2000 4Runner w/E-locker, Icon suspension, Savage skids and rear bumper
    2002 Subaru Forester, Lifted & Bullbarred
    Pivot Mach4 and Ibis Mojo mountain bikes
    2003 KTM 450 EXC street legal! 2007 KTM 250 XC-W trail bike

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast