which truck for a Pop-up Camper

Umnak

Adventurer
Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
I can't speak highly enough about having a service body on whatever truck you choose to get a vast increase in storage.

That is probably the best advise.

The service body certainly adds a lot of storage space, though it would also increase the weight. After a 3 year road trip in our Sportsmobile Sprinter I'm looking for a lighter and more nimble vehicle. We're minimalists as it is, so while the space in an access cab isn't going to let us haul a lot of friends and gear, it does provide the space we would need for a few weeks.

Umnak

Adventurer
I can't speak highly enough about having a service body on whatever truck you choose to get a vast increase in storage.
and
Well I have my camper on a Fuso FG so I favor the view of choosing a truck for which the payload is easy. Better to have a light camper on a heavy truck than a heavy camper on a light truck. Cabovers are easier and more fun to drive than standard pickups.

Yes, I like that as well, which is why I thought a 1/2 ton would work on the lighter FWC and the GZL, though it seems that isn't a universally shared assumption. Kerry, I'm not sure I understand your comment that "Cabovers are easier and more fun to drive than standard pickups."

kerry

Expedition Leader
My FG is the most fun to drive vehicle I own. Great visibility, short turning radius and fits in a standard parking space.

Umnak

Adventurer
My FG is the most fun to drive vehicle I own. Great visibility, short turning radius and fits in a standard parking space.

Oh, got it. The Fuso is a cabover truck design; I mixed that up with a cabover camper. Thanks for the clarification.

GoinBoardin

Observer
With the right payload package, such as Ford's 8200gvwr package, you can probably stay legal in an F150, especially if you pack light. Obviously ensure you've got tires for the weight, and supplement the suspension if needed.

I'm a flatbed fan. I'd go with an aluminum flatbed (half the weight of stock steel box, not sure about stock alloy boxes on recent models), and flatbed specific camper like a Hawk.

Definitely go test drive each truck when the time comes.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I drove an Isuzu cab over service truck for a few years when I was an Allison Transmission Field Service Tech. a couple of considerations...you're sitting right on top of the front tires, not the most comfortable ride quality, and the other thing is to get to the engine for anything, you have to secure all of your gear in the cab or take it out to keep it from going through the windshield when you tip the cab.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yes, definitely a rougher ride although there are things that can be done to smooth it out. Putting Timbren bump stops on my FG made a huge difference. Most things in my cab end up on the floor when I tilt it. :) Although there are few things which will endear a vehicle to a motorhead like standing right beside your engine.

Umnak

Adventurer
With the right payload package, such as Ford's 8200gvwr package, you can probably stay legal in an F150, especially if you pack light. Obviously ensure you've got tires for the weight, and supplement the suspension if needed.

I'm a flatbed fan. I'd go with an aluminum flatbed (half the weight of stock steel box, not sure about stock alloy boxes on recent models), and flatbed specific camper like a Hawk.

Definitely go test drive each truck when the time comes.

I drove an Isuzu cab over service truck for a few years when I was an Allison Transmission Field Service Tech. a couple of considerations...you're sitting right on top of the front tires, not the most comfortable ride quality, and the other thing is to get to the engine for anything, you have to secure all of your gear in the cab or take it out to keep it from going through the windshield when you tip the cab.

Yes, definitely a rougher ride although there are things that can be done to smooth it out. Putting Timbren bump stops on my FG made a huge difference. Most things in my cab end up on the floor when I tilt it. :) Although there are few things which will endear a vehicle to a motorhead like standing right beside your engine.

I like the idea of flat beds and/or a Fuso, however this would be our second vehicle, so driving around with the camper off would be a problem.

thanks for the information.

shirk

My ideal?

OBS F150 extended cab with 6ft box. Inline 6 with the 5spd. The camper would be a copy of the Ortec Minicamp on a 6ft box. Interior of the camper would just be the upper bed in the pop top and a front table for 4 (2 adults 2 kids) that folds down into bed for 2 kids. The kitchen would be a camp box that could be used inside in a pinch but 99% of time used outside under the awning. http://www.offroadtechnik.de/produkte/minicamp

This would be for family "camping" around our backyard here in BC. It's certainly not an around the world expedition rig, just a minimalist "tin tent" that's an upgrade from tenting and more sleek than a RTT. Also provides somewhere to get out of the bugs or rain for dinner inside the camper. Why the old Ford? Cheap and simple truck. The inline 6 is known to be bullet proof. A light weight camp setup shouldn't need anything more than that.

moveinon

The difference between 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton is full of confusion. In some years the same frame was used on all models other years two might be same and still others all are different. Some years and models have the same alternator, transmission, radiator, and even rear end. Other years they are all different. Sometimes the brakes are the same also. In other words, in some cases all you have to do is to upgrade one component and you have immediately gone from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. The one thing that truck manufacturers always seam to change is the suspension. Had a 1/2 ton tacoma pickup that I upgraded the brakes, shocks, tires, springs, and added air bags. Put over 100,000 miles, much of it on really rough logging roads hauling wood for house and cabin. Each load was at least 1,000 lbs over GVW for the truck before modifications. I never had a single problem with anything failing in all those miles because of the weight and ended up selling it with over 250,000 miles without any major work. I now have another Tacoma with upgraded suspension and brakes with a fully equipped Fleet which runs about 300 pounds over GVW on most trips. I clearly know from my own experience that this amount of overweight with upgrades is of no concern. I got the camper because of the truck not the other way around. I use the camper a number of weeks a year, but drive the truck every day and wanted one that would be easy to park and drive in Portland and one that was small and capable enough to go into the back country places I like to camp. If you pick the truck you want you can modify it to work great with either of the campers you are looking at.

Umnak

Adventurer
The difference between 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton is full of confusion. In some years the same frame was used on all models other years two might be same and still others all are different. Some years and models have the same alternator, transmission, radiator, and even rear end. Other years they are all different. Sometimes the brakes are the same also. In other words, in some cases all you have to do is to upgrade one component and you have immediately gone from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. The one thing that truck manufacturers always seam to change is the suspension. Had a 1/2 ton tacoma pickup that I upgraded the brakes, shocks, tires, springs, and added air bags. Put over 100,000 miles, much of it on really rough logging roads hauling wood for house and cabin. Each load was at least 1,000 lbs over GVW for the truck before modifications. I never had a single problem with anything failing in all those miles because of the weight and ended up selling it with over 250,000 miles without any major work. I now have another Tacoma with upgraded suspension and brakes with a fully equipped Fleet which runs about 300 pounds over GVW on most trips. I clearly know from my own experience that this amount of overweight with upgrades is of no concern. I got the camper because of the truck not the other way around. I use the camper a number of weeks a year, but drive the truck every day and wanted one that would be easy to park and drive in Portland and one that was small and capable enough to go into the back country places I like to camp. If you pick the truck you want you can modify it to work great with either of the campers you are looking at.

good points. Is your current Tacoma the larger style? They seem to be as large as the old Tundras.

Last edited:

Umnak

Adventurer
My ideal?

OBS F150 extended cab with 6ft box. Inline 6 with the 5spd. The camper would be a copy of the Ortec Minicamp on a 6ft box. Interior of the camper would just be the upper bed in the pop top and a front table for 4 (2 adults 2 kids) that folds down into bed for 2 kids. The kitchen would be a camp box that could be used inside in a pinch but 99% of time used outside under the awning. http://www.offroadtechnik.de/produkte/minicamp

This would be for family "camping" around our backyard here in BC. It's certainly not an around the world expedition rig, just a minimalist "tin tent" that's an upgrade from tenting and more sleek than a RTT. Also provides somewhere to get out of the bugs or rain for dinner inside the camper. Why the old Ford? Cheap and simple truck. The inline 6 is known to be bullet proof. A light weight camp setup shouldn't need anything more than that.

We were/are(?) sea kayakers using only tarps and bivies in Southeast Alaska, so the SPrinter has been a huge increase in comfort. I thought about some of the wildernest or other minimalist set-up and we may end up with that depending on what's in store for us in the next couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior